Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
Results 1 to 40 of 40
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kash3838
  • 1 Post By PaulAr
  • 1 Post By S.

Thread: Audi S3 8P Remap / clutch

  1. #1
    br20vt's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Middlesbrough
    Posts
    141

    Audi S3 8P Remap / clutch

    Hi,
    im sure this has been asked many times on here, but here goes.

    Is it almost certain that i am going to need an uprated clutch once getting my S3 stage 1 Revo / APR?
    Bearing in mind i wont be launching / thrashing the t**s off it? well... not all the time

    How many miles have any of you S3 owners had out of the stock clutch at stage1?

    Thanks.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    N8
    N8's Avatar
    Kowalski Details

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Salford, Manchester
    Posts
    17,133

    My Social Networking

    Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Why not Shark?

    The clutch will need replacing eventually, one major benefit of DSG

  4. #3
    Turbo jay's Avatar
    Leather repair specialist

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North west
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Why not Shark?

    The clutch will need replacing eventually, one major benefit of DSG
    yea untill that mechatronic unit goes.

  5. #4
    br20vt's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Middlesbrough
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Why not Shark?

    The clutch will need replacing eventually, one major benefit of DSG
    Havent really considered shark to be honest & not heard much about it. I've used Revo before and loved it, just not looking forward to paying out around 1k+ just for a remap if thats the case :/
    Recently drove my mates DSG S3, loved it!

  6. #5
    N8
    N8's Avatar
    Kowalski Details

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Salford, Manchester
    Posts
    17,133

    My Social Networking

    Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo jay View Post
    yea untill that mechatronic unit goes.
    Some do, some don't.

    Quote Originally Posted by br20vt View Post
    Havent really considered shark to be honest & not heard much about it. I've used Revo before and loved it, just not looking forward to paying out around 1k+ just for a remap if thats the case :/
    Recently drove my mates DSG S3, loved it!
    Yes but then it could still go on a stock car tbh. Consider Shark, lots of happy S3 forum members running it

  7. #6
    NICK-C's Avatar
    Nick

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    439
    I had have been running my S3 with a remap for about 2 years now. I have had no issues with the clutch at all and done over 40,000 miles since it has been mapped. I do give it a thrashing now and again but have never really tried any launches!

    There are quite a few well known tuners around, but I have also literally just pm'd N8 about mapping my next car though as have seen Shark recommended a fair bit recently.
    Now - On the hunt for a new Audi!
    Gone - A5 Sportback S-line 3.0TDi quattro s-tronic
    Sadly gone - Ibis White S3 Sportback Black Edition
    Previous:
    '57 - Astra Sri Sport Hatch
    '95 - Celica GT4
    '54 - Astra Coupe Turbo
    '51 - Astra Sxi

  8. #7
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    70
    I am in a similar position. I have a 59 plate S3 and would love to get it mapped but the thought of having to then spend £1000 plus on a clutch worries me. If I thought I could get the clutch to last a year or so it wouldn't be as bad but the cost of a clutch and remap together is expensive. I am not sure what year your S3 is but I did hear the clutches in newer models was supposed to be slightly stronger but that may be wrong.
    Decisions, decisions!!

  9. #8
    NICK-C's Avatar
    Nick

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    439
    Mine is a 10 plate mate, but I am sure I read/heard somewhere the stock clutches are fine for stage 1, as long as you dont try too many drag style launches. I think once I have 'cooked' it a little when giving it some stick and buggering up the gear change but apart from that have had no issues.
    Now - On the hunt for a new Audi!
    Gone - A5 Sportback S-line 3.0TDi quattro s-tronic
    Sadly gone - Ibis White S3 Sportback Black Edition
    Previous:
    '57 - Astra Sri Sport Hatch
    '95 - Celica GT4
    '54 - Astra Coupe Turbo
    '51 - Astra Sxi

  10. #9
    br20vt's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Middlesbrough
    Posts
    141
    AdriansS3 + Nick-C cheers for the replys.
    Mines a 2008 8P3, if i could get away with it for about a year id be happy too! Ive also heard the newer s3's come with a slightly better clutch rather than the LUK clutches some of the older models are running. I'm unsure which ones in mine :/

  11. #10
    NICK-C's Avatar
    Nick

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    439
    No worries mate and I have no idea which mine has all I know is it is a MY11 model but it has been fine.
    Also I mapped/tuned my previous car (completely different vehicle), but the clutch was fine in that as well and ran that for 2 years about 50,000 miles.
    I guess it would need replacing eventually but as you say if you can get a year out of it then fine.

    One thing is for sure, if you do get it mapped it is awesome, even better when the mpg is slightly better too!
    Now - On the hunt for a new Audi!
    Gone - A5 Sportback S-line 3.0TDi quattro s-tronic
    Sadly gone - Ibis White S3 Sportback Black Edition
    Previous:
    '57 - Astra Sri Sport Hatch
    '95 - Celica GT4
    '54 - Astra Coupe Turbo
    '51 - Astra Sxi

  12. #11
    br20vt's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Middlesbrough
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by NICK-C View Post
    No worries mate and I have no idea which mine has all I know is it is a MY11 model but it has been fine.
    Also I mapped/tuned my previous car (completely different vehicle), but the clutch was fine in that as well and ran that for 2 years about 50,000 miles.
    I guess it would need replacing eventually but as you say if you can get a year out of it then fine.

    One thing is for sure, if you do get it mapped it is awesome, even better when the mpg is slightly better too!
    Yeh ive had stage 2 cars in the past, just i know the clutches seem a particular weak point in the S3's unfortunately
    Just out of interest what remap have you got on yours?

  13. #12
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,368
    The stock clutch on the manual is a bit variable.

    Some of us have managed to get it to hold out pretty well at Stg1,and some haven't,and that clearly means that the thing is right on it's limits at around 310-320lbs.

    For Stg2 and Stg2+,the Loba/Sachs is a good choice if it's treated well,and run in carefully,and for anything above that,you would need an SMF setup with something like a Spec clutch.

    The DSG clutch pack is allegedly good for around 400lbs,but much above that needs a rebuild,and currently only HPA Motorsport seem to be producing clutch packs although HGP may do also.

    I think the rule on manuals is that if you remap it,you should budget for a clutch at some point.

  14. #13
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    70
    S3Alex- have you done a clutch change on the S3 yourself as I noticed on your build blog one of the pictures with the gearbox out appeared to be on a block paved drive. The reason I ask is I have done engine rebuilds and engine conversions before and wondered whether I could do the clutch replacement myself to save costs. Are any special tools required?

  15. #14
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,368
    Quote Originally Posted by AdriansS3 View Post
    S3Alex- have you done a clutch change on the S3 yourself as I noticed on your build blog one of the pictures with the gearbox out appeared to be on a block paved drive. The reason I ask is I have done engine rebuilds and engine conversions before and wondered whether I could do the clutch replacement myself to save costs. Are any special tools required?
    No,fraid not.

    That was taken while it was sitting in the corner of AMD's workshop awaiting its clutch,gearbox and various bits.

  16. #15
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,047
    Consider SHARK, its very good. Good value too if you get a deal with the STS unit.

    I managed 10K with Stage 1 REVO on my 57 plate S3 before it started to slip.
    Mix of normal and occasional spirited driving but never abused. The REVO map was quite aggressive so that could have contributed to the short clutch life.

    Later cars do seem to stand up to Stage 1 much better.

    Good luck.
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  17. #16
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo jay View Post
    yea untill that mechatronic unit goes.
    At stage 1 ?
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  18. #17
    NICK-C's Avatar
    Nick

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    439

    Re: Audi S3 8P Remap / clutch

    Quote Originally Posted by br20vt View Post
    Yeh ive had stage 2 cars in the past, just i know the clutches seem a particular weak point in the S3's unfortunately
    Just out of interest what remap have you got on yours?
    I got mine done locally by a guy recommended on another vag forum. He had done a few ed30 golfs and other vag cars. Very nice guy and reasonably priced but no rolling road. If I get a remap on my next car or probably should say when I get a remap, lol, I would want someone with a 4wd rr hence looking at shark.
    Now - On the hunt for a new Audi!
    Gone - A5 Sportback S-line 3.0TDi quattro s-tronic
    Sadly gone - Ibis White S3 Sportback Black Edition
    Previous:
    '57 - Astra Sri Sport Hatch
    '95 - Celica GT4
    '54 - Astra Coupe Turbo
    '51 - Astra Sxi

  19. #18
    DJ-S3's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wakefield
    Posts
    683
    Mines a 56plate 2007 S3. Got stage 1 revo at 41000 miles ish. Coming up to 50000miles and still no slip :D remap will have been on for a year at the end of this month. Just about got all the stuff for stage 2+ fitted, going to get the map at the end of the month and then when the clutch slips I'll get the new one bought and fitted. Just still deciding which clutch...

  20. #19
    Turbo jay's Avatar
    Leather repair specialist

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North west
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    At stage 1 ?
    who said stage 1?

  21. #20
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    9
    If anyone's on the Northwest area and want a Remap i'm based in Lancaster!
    To advertise on site, please contact admin.

  22. #21
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo jay View Post
    who said stage 1?
    The OP.
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  23. #22
    Turbo jay's Avatar
    Leather repair specialist

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North west
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    The OP.
    my reply wasn't to the op was it.

  24. #23
    Kash3838's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    173

    Audi S3 8P Remap / clutch

    I mapped my s3 and blew the clutch in 48 hours! It was on 44k and stage 1 map.
    Marshy likes this.

  25. #24
    KentKid's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by AdriansS3 View Post
    I am in a similar position. I have a 59 plate S3 and would love to get it mapped but the thought of having to then spend £1000 plus on a clutch worries me. If I thought I could get the clutch to last a year or so it wouldn't be as bad but the cost of a clutch and remap together is expensive. I am not sure what year your S3 is but I did hear the clutches in newer models was supposed to be slightly stronger but that may be wrong.
    Decisions, decisions!!
    I also have a 59-plate S3, and got mine remapped from standard to Revo 2+ around 6/7 months ago - and I'm still on the stock clutch.

    Like you, I didn't want to fork out an additional £1000+ for a new clutch when I was already spending lots on all the other parts needed for the 2+ conversion.

    Thankfully the stock clutch has been fine, and long may it continue... *touches wood*

    I don't launch hard from a standstill, and I don't bury my foot hard in 6th gear at low revs!

    It's these two traits that are sure to smoke the stock clutch...
    Current car: 2009 Audi S3.

    Modifications: Revo 2+, Non-resonated Milltek TBE, ITG Maxogen CAI, Airtec FMIC, Autotech HPFP internals, RS4 Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve, KW v1 Coilovers, GfB DV+, KW ARB Kit, SuperPro Anti-Lift Kit, 18" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 Alloy Wheels (Anthracite), Mintex Brake Pads, Forge Short Shifter, and Revo SPS Switch.

    Previous cars: VW Golf R32 (mk4), Renault Clio V6 (mk1), Renault Clio Williams 3.

  26. #25
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo jay View Post
    my reply wasn't to the op was it.
    Post #1 Specifically mentioned Stage 1.
    Post #2 Was in response to Post 1
    Post #3 Was is response to Post 2

    See the logic...?
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  27. #26
    Turbo jay's Avatar
    Leather repair specialist

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North west
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    Post #1 Specifically mentioned Stage 1.
    Post #2 Was in response to Post 1
    Post #3 Was is response to Post 2

    See the logic...?
    No not really

  28. #27
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ-S3 View Post
    Mines a 56plate 2007 S3. Got stage 1 revo at 41000 miles ish. Coming up to 50000miles and still no slip :D remap will have been on for a year at the end of this month. Just about got all the stuff for stage 2+ fitted, going to get the map at the end of the month and then when the clutch slips I'll get the new one bought and fitted. Just still deciding which clutch...
    Any record of it having a replacement/warranty clutch?

    My second OEM unit fited by AUDI under warranty had a different pedal feel and was solid when I sold the car 10K miles later.
    Kind of backs up the theory that later clutches are stronger.
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  29. #28
    br20vt's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Middlesbrough
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by NICK-C View Post
    I got mine done locally by a guy recommended on another vag forum. He had done a few ed30 golfs and other vag cars. Very nice guy and reasonably priced but no rolling road. If I get a remap on my next car or probably should say when I get a remap, lol, I would want someone with a 4wd rr hence looking at shark.
    I'll be going to RS Tuning in Leeds for Revo software more than likely, and i know they have a 4wd RR

  30. #29
    br20vt's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Middlesbrough
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ-S3 View Post
    Mines a 56plate 2007 S3. Got stage 1 revo at 41000 miles ish. Coming up to 50000miles and still no slip :D remap will have been on for a year at the end of this month. Just about got all the stuff for stage 2+ fitted, going to get the map at the end of the month and then when the clutch slips I'll get the new one bought and fitted. Just still deciding which clutch...
    What 2+ setup are you going? You using uprated intercooler, RS4 fuel valve? Cheers for the reply mate gives me faith my clutch may last a good while haha. Where did u get it mapped?

  31. #30
    DJ-S3's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wakefield
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    Any record of it having a replacement/warranty clutch?

    My second OEM unit fited by AUDI under warranty had a different pedal feel and was solid when I sold the car 10K miles later.
    Kind of backs up the theory that later clutches are stronger.
    Not in the service book, and I went to Audi (as it has full service history) and asked them about the car before i bought it and they never said it had been replaced...

    Quote Originally Posted by br20vt View Post
    I'll be going to RS Tuning in Leeds for Revo software more than likely, and i know they have a 4wd RR
    Are they still doing revo? Revo website used to say they did them but when I looked before Xmas they wasn't on it anymore. Then I went onto RS Tunings website and they say sold out...

    Quote Originally Posted by br20vt View Post
    What 2+ setup are you going? You using uprated intercooler, RS4 fuel valve? Cheers for the reply mate gives me faith my clutch may last a good while haha. Where did u get it mapped?
    I don't have the stage 2+ yet... I've got the uprated intercooler (didn't need to get one but I got it for a steal of a price which I couldn't turn down) I have the uprated fuel pump internals, full system milltek, ITG Maxogen, I don't have the RS4 fuel valve as of yet, going to see if the power dips on the dyno before I buy one. Yes I know there only £40 but someone people haven't had a problem.

  32. #31
    br20vt's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Middlesbrough
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ-S3 View Post
    Are they still doing revo? Revo website used to say they did them but when I looked before Xmas they wasn't on it anymore. Then I went onto RS Tunings website and they say sold out...
    I gave Paul an E-Mail a few months ago before i bought my S3, and he said it wouldnt be a problem, not sure if thats recently changed. I hope not as i dont know of any other reputable services in the North East doing Revo :/

  33. #32
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    70
    Dj S3 - do you currently have them normal or linear revo stage 1 map as I am trying to decide which to have.

  34. #33
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by br20vt View Post
    I gave Paul an E-Mail a few months ago before i bought my S3, and he said it wouldnt be a problem, not sure if thats recently changed. I hope not as i dont know of any other reputable services in the North East doing Revo :/
    Steve at Triple H Motorsport is a REVO agent and pretty knowledgable.
    Based in Benton just off the A19.
    Give him a buzz.

    Good luck
    br20vt likes this.
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  35. #34
    DJ-S3's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wakefield
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by AdriansS3 View Post
    Dj S3 - do you currently have them normal or linear revo stage 1 map as I am trying to decide which to have.
    I have the normal remap. There has been an update to it but been trying to get to stage 2+ for that map so not bothered with it.

  36. #35
    br20vt's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Middlesbrough
    Posts
    141
    All i need for stage 2 is a downpipe / decat now so im thinking of going straight to stage 2, have many of you done this? Just trying to preserve the clutch tbh :/

  37. #36
    GNJ_Motorsport's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lancashire, England
    Posts
    645
    They are hit and miss. My S3 has REVO stage 2 on the OEM clutch when I got it and they previous owner claimed it had been fine for months like that. However it didn't last much longer and Shark stage 3 completely butchered it.

    I have mapped quite a few S3's and they have been fine but I put stage 1 on a friends S3 and within weeks he needed a new clutch.

    Also, I can't recommend a Shark map enough. The REVO maps are no doubt good if a little over aggressive (in my opinion) but they are very, very expensive.

  38. #37
    S.
    S.'s Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    1,422
    as said above. if you don't do launches and hard accelerating from 2000rpm in 5th and 6th gear your clutchwill last long enought.
    my oem clutch was done on 40000km. 10000km stock, 20000 stage 2, and last 10000 stage 2+. there were few launches and thats it.
    now i got loba&sachs SMF clutch kit and it seems that it's a great replacement.
    KentKid likes this.
    s3 Ibis White ... Build Thread

    / Black Grill / FbMfSw / Sunroof / Hill Hold / Armrest / Black Leather-Alcantara interior / Rear Parking Sensors / Heated Seats / Folding Mirrors / Cruise / Rns-e mk2 // ttrs-Brembo Brakes / 12mm spacers / Forge Short + Side Shift / 42dd's / ITG CAI / GfB DV+ / Forge Catch Can / Milltek TBE / Forge Twin IC/ Autotech HpFp / H&R ARB's / WALK / KW v3's / RS4 fpr / Loba&Sachs clutch / Revo Stage 2+ / ...


  39. #38
    bmh.01's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Nuneaton
    Posts
    279
    One thing to bear in mind having just put a Sachs clutch in mine is that it is a decent bit heavier in operation than the standard clutch, i'm still not convinced that it hasn't been a mistake yet.

  40. #39
    br20vt's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Middlesbrough
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by S. View Post
    as said above. if you don't do launches and hard accelerating from 2000rpm in 5th and 6th gear your clutchwill last long enought.
    my oem clutch was done on 40000km. 10000km stock, 20000 stage 2, and last 10000 stage 2+. there were few launches and thats it.
    now i got loba&sachs SMF clutch kit and it seems that it's a great replacement.
    This is what i like to hear If mine held up for 10k miles id be happy! :D

  41. #40
    br20vt's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Middlesbrough
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by bmh.01 View Post
    One thing to bear in mind having just put a Sachs clutch in mine is that it is a decent bit heavier in operation than the standard clutch, i'm still not convinced that it hasn't been a mistake yet.
    Yeh it has to be expected with an uprated clutch, a few of my previous cars have had uprated clutches so it shouldnt be a problem. Cheers

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. audi a6 2.7t clutch
    By pablo28774 in forum A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24th August 2008, 23:25
  2. Audi S3 after remap
    By Effect in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 30th April 2008, 15:12
  3. 2.0TDI remap - clutch freindly ones?!
    By Mikey in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 7th October 2007, 19:58
  4. Audi A3 quattro remap trouble...
    By emerylloyd in forum Tuning
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11th November 2006, 15:26
  5. Would Audi take a remapped S3 as part-ex?
    By imported_monkeytrousers in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12th February 2006, 19:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO