Note to 2,0FSI owners

yak

Reaction score
Well, this affects those who have older 2,0FSI engine, not the new one with removed stratified injection (eg. Sportbacks and 3-doors which are manufactured after Sportback was introduced).

And the problem is oil eating. Audi has finally identified the problem, and for example my engine will go next monday to repairing, where they will open the head, change valvelifters and some insulations. All under warranty of course.

My car has now during those 21tkm eaten about 8-9 litres of oil + whatever the amount it ate before oil change. Lots of oil anyway.

So, if you have warranty going out soon, I recommend taking the car to service and make them fix it.

- Yak

Lad here has one.
He doesn't think his oil consumption is high,but do you think he should get it done anyway ???
I've told him to ask the leasing company as the car will be their problem after it's time here.
From a resale point of view,they might prefer the work to be done.

I've got an impatient colleague here,waiting to phone the dealer.
Anyone else know where I can get more info about this ?
Yak may have gone home by now.

Yak...

1) I have a March 05 Sportback, are you saying this is ok then?

2) Why did they remove the stratified injection thingy and what difference does it make?

Cheers mate.

I've heard the story about the removed stratified mode, but the difference in fuel consumption (in my sportback) when driving at low revs is so big that I wonder if it isn't still there. Isn't that just what stratified mode does? Inject a very lean mixture when the engine is providing low power at low revs, thus giving low fuel consumption?

Are we any closer to getting back-up to Yak's claims ?
My colleague doesn't want to phone the dealer and demand work be done without some sort of back-up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Well, I can't backup myself, but that's what is going to happen to my engine monday. As to why VAG removed the ability to inject lean fuel is costs. The additional catalysator and cleaning technology costed, and they didn't think it reduced fuel consumption that much. Official figures raised a bit, 0,1-0,2l/100km.

cdb2, yeah Sportbacks are alright.

Oh I see,so this is a fix for your particular car rather than an admission of a general problem by Audi ?

So my colleague may meet some resistance from the dealer ?

I'll warn him.

Tks

bowfer, well it's the engine type. Not just my car, but all 2,0FSIs of certain engine-code. Not all of them eat the same amount of oil, but each of them has the same manufacturing mistake.

Unlikely to have any official recalls though, so yeah he may have some resistance from the dealer, if the car doesn't eat a lot of oil.

Also there's extended warranty to catalysator & lambda on my case, since the car has eaten so much oil that they may be damaged.

My colleague phoned the dealer and,as expected,there's no official line at all.

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like you should have bought a diesel then Yak...??

[/ QUOTE ]

He did! Didn't you read how much oil his is using? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Let's just wait and see when they find something wrong with our engines. It's early doors.

Seems like that would be very expensive if Audi had to do all that to every pre-Sportback A3.

If stratifed injection has been removed from newer A3s, then should they be called something other than FSI? "FI"? Or just "I"?

[ QUOTE ]

If stratifed injection has been removed from newer A3s, then should they be called something other than FSI? "FI"? Or just "I"?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably why on my Sportback it just says 2.0 on the back. I bet it is the same on the new SFG 3 door A3's

My March 05 Sportback just has the 2.0 too. The 3 door demo I tried in Sept 2004 had the 2.0 FSI on it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well actually I know few Touran and A3 drivers with 2,0TDI that have had their car bought back because engine could not be fixed.

So, no. My car itself has worked fine, it's just eating oil. 2,0TDI has had more problems worldwide than any other engine in A3/Golf/Touran.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well actually I know few Touran and A3 drivers with 2,0TDI that have had their car bought back because engine could not be fixed.

So, no. My car itself has worked fine, it's just eating oil. 2,0TDI has had more problems worldwide than any other engine in A3/Golf/Touran.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh.clutching at some very big straws there Yak.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So,apart from your car eating oil like a 1979 Capri,your car is fine ?

Isn't that like saying "apart from my broken leg,I'm great"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you list some problems, because I'm intrigued
as someone that has heard of none...so far?

Does the RS4 have an FSI V8? If it's good for the RS4, why not the 4 pot? Is Audi back tracking on FSI, or will they just be required to call it something else, as stratified injection isn't actually the thing that makes this engine special?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably why on my Sportback it just says 2.0 on the back. I bet it is the same on the new SFG 3 door A3's

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats odd then, if you go on the official Audi web site, then click on configurator, you can still order a A3 with a 1.6FSI or a 2.0FSI engine, Iv'e not heard/read this FSI removal anywhere except here..........................

FSI removal is real thing, reads on the official papers as well. It's not the removal of direct injection, just lean-mode and extra catalysators. If you don't believe, check old 2,0FSI engine and new and notice latter is missing something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyway, problems with 2,0TDI which were recalled, were for example following: they produced 100bhp in dyno, they ate oil more than mine did, sometimes they didn't start, sometimes they stopped in the middle of the road, lots of smoke and so on. So about everything can go wrong.

bowfer, well apart from oil eating, yes. It doesn't interfere with everyday life at all, I need to fill the gasoline tank as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. But there's no difference in how the engine behaves, performance or anything.

But when it comes to my LongLife system.. well that's another story (but apparently has nothing to do with the engine, since sensors there were changed and it didn't fix the problem) .. blink "Service" icon all the time, when it's nulled takes 2000km and again. But as said, that's another story, and some diagnostic said it was on the dials. Oh well..

But no bowfer, it's like "Apart from my added apetite, I'm fine".

[ QUOTE ]
FSI removal is real thing, reads on the official papers as well. It's not the removal of direct injection, just lean-mode and extra catalysators. If you don't believe, check old 2,0FSI engine and new and notice latter is missing something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the FSI-term is used quite loosely, and most of the time it is used to indicate only direct injection. For example, the TFSI engine has never had a lean-mode, and uses FSI only for the added bhp and less turbo-lag. Who cares about mpg? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif I have no idea what the RS4-engine has, but I'd guess that it's the same /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

yak,

the fact that yours was modified.... has it anything to do with the zero tolerance on exhaust emissions over there? In the UK we have more lenient emissions that u guys, so perhaps the oil burning was putting the car over the legal limit for you, so they were forced into modifying the car??

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, problems with 2,0TDI which were recalled, were for example following: they produced 100bhp in dyno, they ate oil more than mine did, sometimes they didn't start, sometimes they stopped in the middle of the road, lots of smoke and so on. So about everything can go wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a "Yak" recall or an official Audi one? Can't say that I've heard of anything drastic to be wrong with the TDI, or with the FSI for that matter. Perhaps engines supplied to Finland are produced to differnent tolerances. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

My car isn't modified, it's just repaired /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Karsci, maybe our weather is more painful to the cars and those TDI engines didn't cope well with the winter, I don't know. But I know 2 persons whom are very active in Finnish Audi and VAG forums whom have had their cars replaced (one Touran and one A3) and then some other guys have also had problems and fixes.

Anyway, this isn't probably a very common happening, but there's certainly something wrong if Audi has given instructions from Germany to fix certain type of engines incase they have oil consumption.

The funny thing, at first they said to me "it's normal" until I talked to this one guy, who is younger mechanic officer (or whatever, anyway talks to customers and is some sort of boss to mechanics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif), who took me more serously, has given me free oil everytime and measured the readings and such and contacted the manufacturer and importer several times. Not sure if every owner has been so lucky.

Anyway, I was pretty close to changing car if they didn't come up with solution, since my warranty is ending this month. Luckily I have no little more faith in it..

..until something else blows up, I haven't had suspension problems yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif