Service and Cruise Control Retro fit this saturday.. opinions please!

davesimmo

Reaction score
I have got my A3 TDI 170 booked in for a service this saturday. (Job lot as there is only 200 miles between oil, main service on computer)
Whilst its in been serviced I have thought about having cruise control fitted.

I have seen a lot of info on here about it, fitting yourself etc. However I am worried that if I do it myself, I will end up with a load of errors etc.

They have quoted me £149 for the service, too include long life oil, filter, pollen filter and inspection service. (No fuel filter as this was replaced in October 2012 when the cambelt & W/Pump were replaced.

However, the quote for the cruise control seemed a little steep £227.95p :uhm:

If I am correct in thinking that this is expensive, I will not bother and will just get the service done as I am happy with the service cost.

Then, I will find another way of getting the cruise control fitted coded etc.

Any help is appriciated.

Last edited:
That does seem a little expensive for cruise control, though i will probably be corrected on that. We have a few on here that retrofit criuse control. Try a pm to Nigel (user NHN) he is a site sponsor on here, he supplies and fits oem parts. :) x

Expensive.. get this.. When buying a used A3 from Audi, the sales guy said he'd check with parts department on how much retro fitting cruise would be.
He came back saying £450, but could do it for £350 if I bought the car.. Ummm I laughed to myself.. His face dropped when I told him it can be done for about £185 including the approx £100 for parts...
In the end I bought the parts off eBay from Huntingdon Audi and fitted + coded ECU myself.
Took about an hour from start to finish.
Also did oil change yesterday, buying 2 x 4 litres oil from local store opposite Ford of Gretwell Rd, for £20 + VAT each: Audi long life 504.0 / 507.0 spec. From GSF oil filter about £12, carbon pollen filter £8. 40min job to do both.

See your local to me. If you need a hand drop me a line.

Last edited:
Expensive.. get this.. When buying a used A3 from Audi, the sales guy said he'd check with parts department on how much retro fitting cruise would be.
He came back saying £450, but could do it for £350 if I bought the car.. Ummm I laughed to myself.. His face dropped when I told him it can be done for about £185 including the approx £100 for parts...
In the end I bought the parts off eBay from Huntingdon Audi and fitted + coded ECU myself.
Took about an hour from start to finish.
Also did oil change yesterday, buying 2 x 4 litres oil from local store opposite Ford of Gretwell Rd, for £20 + VAT each: Audi long life 504.0 / 507.0 spec. From GSF oil filter about £12, carbon pollen filter £8. 40min job to do both.

See your local to me. If you need a hand drop me a line.

Blimey now my quote looked cheap lol.

Not surprised you laughed at the salesman.

Thanks for your offer of the hand to fit the cruise. Appriciate it.

Been onto the place I am getting it serviced and they have agreed to fit the cruise, code etc for £160

Cant grumble at that. Top guys.

Thanks again mate. :)

Cool.. £160 incl VAT sounds good.
fyi, I've found Just Audi on Outer Circle Road to give superb service.

Any money saved by doing it yourself you can put towards a VAG-COM cable (or whatever they are called now).

I've not fitted it to an 8P, but did a B5 a while back, personally I enjoyed it and it didn't take too long, so would do it again for sure.

Cool.. £160 incl VAT sounds good.
fyi, I've found Just Audi on Outer Circle Road to give superb service.

Yeah. Thats where I bought the car from and who is doing the service and cruise. :) great guys. Will recommend them to anyone. :)