Well fellas I think the A3 might be going....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To add to this, in this weeks autocar, the head of VAG group ( ie the boss of audi) says why would you buy an audi over a vw or skoda, it's image only, parts are basically the same. Audi owners just pay more for the privelege,

[/ QUOTE ]

Same with everything though isn't it?

why buy an x-type over a mondeo?

why buy a rolex over a casio?

why buy a pair of diesel jeans when asda do a pair for £9.99?

why buy coke when you can get rola-cola?

They all do the same job, and they all use basically the same thing, but, they all do it different enough to justify the extra cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Firstly IMHO an Audi is worth the little premium over VW. in my experience of both, the VW is not built as well and the dealer / ownership experience is not quite there.

Secondly, when I ordered my A3, the price of the equiv. Golf MkV with the same spec was only £500 cheaper and VW dealers were still stingy with their discounts meaning nothing in it. I mean a DSG WITHOUT paddles as std ( £500+ option ) is silly !

I was sat behind a new Golf the other day - is it just me or do the sides of the car squeeze together as they meet the roofline. Is it as wide internally as an A3?

tbh, I think i'd almost always chose the audi, unless there was something seriously wrong with it.

If I look down my street, I can count anywhere between 5-10 golf's of various guises. If I count the number of A3/S3's down my road, it's 1 - mine. I bought mine knowing it was a little bit special, and that it wouldn't become common as **** in about 10 months time.

I agree with Japper. Having owned several Golfs including 3 GTIs and a VR6 as well as 9 Audis, 5 of which have been A3s, I think the overall experience of owning an Audi is worth the extra premium. The overall 'quality' feel is just that bit more with the Audi.

I have also found that a get a greater percentage of the original price when I trade-in an Audi over a VW. More important if you are buying the car with your own money.

[ QUOTE ]
I have also found that a get a greater percentage of the original price when I trade-in an Audi over a VW. More important if you are buying the car with your own money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I forgot to add this point. And before people claim that the guides show the same residual percentage for both, in reality it's not the case. I lost more on my Mkiv golf than I woul have on a mk1 A3.

The GTI, on the other hand is completely different. The residual ( at least short - medium term ) will better the equivalent A3 model.

Here in Australia the A3 is the only German car in the price range that is actually made in Germany. The GTi was $7,000 cheaper. But I wouldn't buy one. Apart from the fact that I need the extra space (my family only just fit into the Sportback the overall package of the Audi is excellent. Build quality, comfort, performance, Open sky, versatility. A friend recently purchased a manual Gti and it’s a nice car but the Audi is much better for my clients and allot classier.

[ QUOTE ]

If I look down my street, I can count anywhere between 5-10 golf's of various guises. If I count the number of A3/S3's down my road, it's 1 - mine. I bought mine knowing it was a little bit special, and that it wouldn't become common as **** in about 10 months time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really the case with the MKV GTI and certainly not the case in Ireland with the GTI starting at E35,000 - same price as my 2.0 TDI was without extra, it's a factor which is keeping the GTI fairly rare on the roads.

[ QUOTE ]
Out of interest.
Anyone know if the DSG gearbox does the 'auto change up' in the Gti ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does change up automatically.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Out of interest.
Anyone know if the DSG gearbox does the 'auto change up' in the Gti ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does change up automatically.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite ridiculous in a sporty car.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

I might ( big might...) have considered DSG in the Gti if it didn't change up for you in manual mode,but it's a definite no now.

If things go right with bank tomorrow I'll have a GTI next week.

Nice one Mark, hopefully about this time next week i'll have my golf 4-motion.

What did Fosters and Grange offer you for the A3 in the end Mark? And have you any idea what your finance settlement figure will be, ie How much interest are they knocking off percentage wise?

My cost of change is 2,500, I haven't bothered to contact the bank myself, just want them to top up the loan and get me behind the wheel of a new car so I haven't asked what the settlement is.

Fosters guy is on hols as he told me and Belgard are a joke as far as I'm concerned. No interest at all in gaining new business and I had to call them today after waiting almost a week for even a phonecall after they saw my car. This will be my 3rd car from Grange and I think I'll just stick with them from now on.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a 4 motion for several years, before I got my R32. Found it a wonderful car, enjoy.......
watch the sumps they are low, I put a hole in mine, slow over speed bumps

golf is bigger internally than the A3, much more space. I can see why you would chose A3, but the key reason i couldn't live with the A3 is the ride quality, as a premium car , I'd expect better. It's the same chassis as the GTI, if VW can fit decent suspension then so can Audi.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To add to this, in this weeks autocar, the head of VAG group ( ie the boss of audi) says why would you buy an audi over a vw or skoda, it's image only, parts are basically the same. Audi owners just pay more for the privelege.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you got the exact text for this, would be interested in reading it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry don't have it with me, but it is all down to image. If you look at the reliability of cars like mercedes whihc are supposed to be at the top of the image pile, actual ownership experience for reliability is not the best. In one day recently I saw 3 broken down nearly new mercedes next to the road awaiting a tow truck.

Mark, did you drive a 2.0Tfsi A3?

Regarding the DSG in the Gti, it is programmed to let the engine bounce off the rev-limiter in manual mode.

It will not do so at first: the car has to be repeatedly hammered to understnd you're "serious bout your driving" (and no, I am not joking). I have this first hand from a UK Gti owner.

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding the DSG in the Gti, it is programmed to let the engine bounce off the rev-limiter in manual mode.

It will not do so at first: the car has to be repeatedly hammered to understnd you're "serious bout your driving" (and no, I am not joking). I have this first hand from a UK Gti owner.

[/ QUOTE ]

So VW believe their drivers can be trusted to change gear themselves,whereas Audi deem us incapable...

Bravo VW. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

Yeah, I know... Ridiculous. It's like the fact that all cars with manual transmission in the US have to have a clutch/iginition switch: you cannot start the engine unless you've depressed the pedal !?!

Has anyone with a dsg Audi tried this 'hammer it for a while' lark? Ours may be the same.

I had a 2.0T fsi DSG a3 as a courtesy car, and in sport and manual, it used to bounce off the redline untill i backed off the accelerator, then it'd change up .

That's interesting madvw,and I'd like to see that in practice.
My car just changes up for me,whether I like it or not.
You're the only one that's reported anything different,on the Audi DSG anyway.

I have been in the red rev range many times, used launch control after 100 miles of ownership, and have been through 4 tyres in a year, but I would never abuse my car by repeatedly bouncing it off the limiter!

i described it in earlier posts... think it was the pro's and cons of dsg one, which got wiped...

anyhow, my experiences of it was that when you floored it, it would slip the clutch and then dump it, loadsa wheelspin, but it wouldnt change up till i backed off the accelereator. This really pee'd me off at the time as it was wet, and the front of the car just went sideways... I was expecting a bit more control.. Perhaps if i'd ragged it a bit longer it woulda changed up, who knows.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a 4 motion for several years, before I got my R32. Found it a wonderful car, enjoy.......
watch the sumps they are low, I put a hole in mine, slow over speed bumps

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Steve, my last car was the R32 also, but this Mk5 GT TDI 4-motion will fit the bill for Mrs TDI. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ya see this is why the DSG doesn't appeal to me. I don't want it to 'only' bounce of the red line when I want to drive fast. I just wouldn't feel involved enough with an auto box.

Didn't try the A3 2.0T no. 6k dearer to start with and the GTI just handles better IMO.

So sometime next week I should be the owner of a 3dr GTI, black metallic with 18s.

[ QUOTE ]
Ya see this is why the DSG doesn't appeal to me. I don't want it to 'only' bounce of the red line when I want to drive fast. I just wouldn't feel involved enough with an auto box.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of people seem to think those of us who don't want the auto change-up have some weird desire to bounce an engine off the rev limiter,or need a driving lesson. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

That's not the case at all.

I just find that when I'm pressing on,the gearbox will change up for me when,sometimes,I would rather just hang on to the gear I'm in (when approaching a corner for example)

Hell no, i've only bounced my s3 once, and that was by mistake. I almost cried, and had to treat her nicely for a few days afterwards.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

Hi all,

I have had a 2.0T DSG Sline for about 3.5 months now and I have never had an automatic change up alsowhen hitting the redline in either sport or manual !!! I must admit I have never kept in bouncing off the redline but when it reaches the redline it does not change up on it's own !!!, I am starting to think may be it is the TDI DSG models that have this auto change up and not the 2.0T ???? hmmmm interesting !!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Got to say I absolutely love the car looks the dogs knackers and it pretty damn quick as well, great exaust note too, fantastic build quality etc etc
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have had a 2.0T DSG Sline for about 3.5 months now and I have never had an automatic change up alsowhen hitting the redline in either sport or manual !!! I must admit I have never kept in bouncing off the redline but when it reaches the redline it does not change up on it's own !!!, I am starting to think may be it is the TDI DSG models that have this auto change up and not the 2.0T ???? hmmmm interesting !!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Curiouser and curiouser... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

Apparently, the US 2.Ot DSGs force the change up, in manual mode.

Mark, bet you'll be very pleased with your new motor. You'll have to let us know how your new ownership goes!

I must admit it makes a lot more sense for the DSG to auto change-up on the TDI as the rev range is quite short. Especially from a standing start you can be in 3rd gear in no time at all and to leave the DSG to sort this out, even in tip-tronic mode is, in my opinion, the better option. I know some agree and some disagree.

On a 2.0T with it's must greater rev range it would not be such a problem for it not to auto change-up.

The best opion would be if it was selectable by the owner, so that we could each choose which mode suited us best.

I would love a definitive answer as to whether some A3 models have the auto change-up disabled,as it suggests it can be done through the VAGCOM 'thingy'.
I suppose I'll just have to ask for a test drive of another (non diesel) DSG car and see for myself.

Picking her up early next week!!

Can't wait to be able to rev to 70mph in 2nd again.. One thing I did miss about the Golf I had.

Guys, go look at this weeks autocar, page 57, then decide, closing paragraph is a killer.

Don't have a copy in front of me, but proclaims the GTI as the bets car you can buy, better than a BMW and last para says better than any Audi.

[ QUOTE ]
and last para says better than any Audi.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just a silly comment but after having a proper blast in one the other day I would take it over my A3 anyday.

I just wish the stealer would hurry up and tell me my car is ready to collect!!

He (Chris Harris) is reffering to badge snobbery in the UK. He talks about how lots of people that have had a golf, will snub the new Golf GTI because they'll claim to have moved on to brands like Audi/BMW. In doing so they could probably be missing out on one of the best cars they'll ever own.

In his closing paragraph he says that a vee dub does the same job as an audi but for less cash (yeh, but so does a Skoda for that matter* my bit) The Golf GTI does a better job than any audi, and for that matter any other car on sale. (hmm bit rich, especailly with that RS4 on page 84). I agree in principle with what he is saying with regards to the big picture, but lets get real.... The Golf GTI is a great car, no question, but it aint no RS4!

[ QUOTE ]
The Golf GTI is a great car, no question, but it aint no RS4!

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly...

The only people that have said to me over the last week "what?? You're selling your Audi to buy a Golf" know sweet FA about cars...