Calling Ibis White A3/S3 Owners - Does this happen to your car?

Cruiser89

Advanced In Car Tech
Reaction score
Had my A3 for about 10 months now and since new it has always had these black streaks that come down on the paintwork from the wing mirrors after a few days after cleaning. It is driving me barmy...

IMG_5558.jpg

---

IMG_5559.jpg

---

Does your A3/S3 do this and how can I stop it from doing it? Maybe one of the detailing guys have some helpful info...

Cheers,

Must be a White thing ...lol :laugh:

Nah never get them, treat the seals, I use DibDab from British chemicals. seems to work well.

Interesting, even the S-Line badge has a streak!

Never had this whatosever. It might be an acccumulation of crap in behind the mirror and the badge. I use my power washer to get rid of all the crap in behind the badges and behind the side skirts every time I wash it. The dirt really does build up especially behind the skirts and the external door trim. Get some snow foam on it before washing it and leave it on for a while so it can penetrate into all the recesses.

I use some Meguiars premium stuff.

I always give the car a good power wash when I clean it and really take care when washing. Two bucket method etc.

It has always done it since new... Seems to be worse when we have had a good hard rain session. It is a proper hair puller.

Do you think it's something I can take to the delears as nobody else is experiencing this?

You say you wax the car every time you wash it, pretty sure wax has various oils in it. Maybe this wax doesn't agree with you?!

I use Jet Seal every few months. But when I wash the car I usually give it a once over in AutoGlym HD. I also clay it once a month or so.

As I live Bournemouth there is a lot of salt in the air so it has to be done otherwise the car gets covered.

It looks like the crap isn't being cleaned out properly. I took off my mudflaps the other week and I kid you not one of the rear ones was completely full of soil, it weighed approx 1.5lbs. If I were you I would give those areas a blast with undilutted APC and then rinse it out properly, take your mirror covers off as there might be crap there that you can't see. I would also hold off on claying, I live a half a mile away from the sea and only clay it twice a year and it's more than enough. A little goes a long a way...

It looks like the crap isn't being cleaned out properly. I took off my mudflaps the other week and I kid you not one of the rear ones was completely full of soil, it weighed approx 1.5lbs. If I were you I would give those areas a blast with undilutted APC and then rinse it out properly, take your mirror covers off as there might be crap there that you can't see. I would also hold off on claying, I live a half a mile away from the sea and only clay it twice a year and it's more than enough. A little goes a long a way...

i hear you bud, but I don't think it's dirt. It did it within a few weeks of owning the car and has done it ever since.

You can wipe it away with your finger but its just very annoying.

i hear you bud, but I don't think it's dirt. It did it within a few weeks of owning the car and has done it ever since.

You can wipe it away with your finger but its just very annoying.

That's why I said use APC undilutted, to me it looks like some sort of polish oil mixed with dirt...I get the streaks of water from my mirrors but not dirt if that makes sense...

using a blower to dry car will fix that everytime. I assume you are not treating the rubber with an inappropriate product which degrades the rubber. Also, I hope you surf as I see a little sexwax

Doesnt happen with mine.

I use the £5 handwash usually, with the occasional DIY job with a capfull of Turtlewax and a manky old sponge.:o.k:

I had this problem on my last white Clio.
i put it down to using a polish on the black trims.

I get this on the S3 but then i get it on my white van and got it 20 years ago on my white Manta !!. Just clean your car more often :) Did you have your car deep shined before you picked it up ? the streaks always originate from black trim. If you get a black residue on a white cloth if you run it along the black trim and rubber then that is what is running down the paint work.

I get this on my Ibis white A3 after rain, but not after washing. I think its an accumulation of atmospheric dirt/dust that sits on the car until it starts to rain. Water running off the car tends to form streams from certain parts (protrusions) of the body (like badges, lights and mirrors), and when these streams dry out the dirty residue is left behind in vertical streaks.