A3 footwell lights

lgooch

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have the above fitted as an optional extra from the factory on my 2012 Black Edition

The lights are white and you can adjust the brightness in the DIS which is all very nice. However I would love for them to light up in red to match the test of the dash.

Anyone done it or any ideas on how to.

aye up goochy lad, how your things with you? can you not just change the blubs to a equivalent red one?

Rob my old mucker. How's your stereo ? Still driving you nuts.

I thought about red bulbs but I didn't know of they were LEDs or something. I need to get my head under the dash and have a look. It's either that or quality street wrapper over the top of the bulb cover !!!

I just think the red glow would look much classier

Mmm would also love whiter fogs. It looks really naff with the standard yellow fogs against the white DRLs and xenons. Wouldn't have a clue how to get the old bulbs out of the fogs though.

yep i'm good lad, other than smashing my front end up :blush: but all good now, just a couple of things the bodyshop need to correct. yep the RSNE is working a hell of lot better, was coded correctly.
as said above yep tr8ps is on here, sorted me out interior LEDs

yep lad, not looking where i was going :blush: i like cars very much but they are only cars..
anyway some good may have come of the bump. check my posts over the weekend, hopefully a nice new mod on its way :yes:

As an idea and food for thought... In mine I have the lovely crisp white LEDs from Trups in the footwell and then at night when the lights are on and the interior ambient red lights come on I have a red glow in the footwell area.
I installed a new red light bar (OEM part) into each of the footwells and wired it up to the interior ambient led from the ashtray.

Ash. I take it you have put extra lights in to achieve this ? I thought the footwell lights were the same as the interior lights which light up when the headlights are on

I need to get my head under there and take a look. Bit busy decorating at the moment though.

T8ups. I am going to send you a PM but I am on TAPATALK so I need to get on my PC to do it. I want the red footwell lights and whiter fogs to match the OEM Xenons and DRLs

Ash. I take it you have put extra lights in to achieve this ? I thought the footwell lights were the same as the interior lights which light up when the headlights are on

I need to get my head under there and take a look. Bit busy decorating at the moment though.

the footwell lights come on when the doors light up or after you pull your keys out of the ignition. they dont come on any other time so no not with the headlights.
To get the ambient lighting (the red glow which activates when headlights are on) you need to wire in the new red light bars (or whatever you choose) into the ambient light circuit, which the ashtray or cigarette lighter is on. those were the easiest for me to attach the new light bars onto as the others are in the roof dome light or the doors.
also when installing the new lights i was careful not to have as bright a glow as the standard footwells as that is too bright to be driving around with so i chose a very subtle light which nicely bathes the footwell area with a dim red glow to match the roof light.

Mmm my footwell lights come on when I have my headlights on and light up your feet. I can adjust the brightness in the DIS so I only get a dim glow (set at 50%) as otherwise it just lights up all the stones and dirt on my mats.

Hence my previous question was there another set of lights with a different circuit under there. I will have to have a look tomorrow.

The car is 2012 BE if this makes a difference.

hmmm thats interesting... maybe thats a new change as i have never seen a light that lights up the footwell while driving. sounds like its the same bulb in your case and its just coded to allow it to come on with the ambient lighting.

Ash, do you have a part number for the red light bar you fitted? any pics? as i might be interested in this mod

on my A6 my footwell lights are on all the time when the front lights are on, the t8ups lights are so bright i've got them on the lowest setting onm the mmi! :)

the part number is: 8P0 857 355

not the best pic but this is all i have at the moment, you can see the red glow on the pedals:

0ecacbd9.jpg

cheers Ash, did you just pick up the ash tray lighting circuit? how did you secure the led's? oh yeah roughly how much are they?

it only costs around £10 ish... and yh i wired into the ashtray light. the ones under the in the footwell were custom fit.... i basically cut a rectangle out of the trim (with a dremel) that goes under the steering wheel (where the oem footwell lights are) and then glued the bar in that hole. as i have used the oem connectors for the lights i can easily just disconnect the bar and remove the trim panel if needed.

can you take a pic of the install? will look to do this when i next have a free weekend. did you do each footwell?

yh done both footwells... so a cutout under the glove box and another under the steering wheel. Il try and get you some more pics.
its not that hard of an install, just need to be able to solder and have a steady hand when cutting the holes.

cheers lad, some more pics would be great, think i know what to do :salute:

Stuck my head under there this morning and there is only one light. Therefore as Ash suggested it is the normal footwell lights which come on when driving.

They look shoot in white. I need to get hold of T8ups when I fire my pc up

Got hold of Trups and after a little soldering as I broke the wires off the lights as my fingers are like sausages they look the part. Much more classy than the white bulbs which are standard OE fit.

What do you reckon about doing the rear footwells ? Would need to fine a feed from somewhere and somehow mount it undef the seat. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350932344948076ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350932359861606ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350932372384324

It's better than the Halogen dirty yellow colour. The pic is with the lights on 100% brightness. I can adjust it down to a more subtle glow by changing it in the DIS.

Cheers for the link.

I have Trups' white LEDs in my footwells and combined with his other LED bulbs they transform the cabin.

I have them set at 20% in my DIS and they have a warm glow effect.