Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

Strangely long cold start

So I had my remapped by from Revo stage 1 to stage 2 and the very next day I noticed that my cold starts have increased in length by probably around 10x for some strange reason:

Essentially the car idles @ 1100rpm for over a minute now with the exhaust making a hell of racket until it slowly drops down to the usual 900rpm. Now I'm not sure if it's just coincidental or if the map has resulted in this, but I did query this with Revo who stated that it's due to the decat and the increased time taken for the sensor to warm up without the catalytic converter in place to absorb heat generated by the "SAI" (Secondary Air Injection?).

The above would make sense, BUT I've had the decat in for quite a while and the issue only started recently (after the new map)

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Acheron; 3rd October 2012 at 16:18.

Current: 2010 Audi S3 Sportback S-tronic
    Ex: 2007 Audi A3 Sportback - 2.0T DSG
    Ex: 2008 Opel Corsa OPC
    Ex: 2004 Opel Corsa Lite
    Ex: 1978 VW Beetle

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    Not gonna lie buddy, that sounds horrific.....

My S3 does its usual cold start like yours, so that length of time is normal, and all is fine, but yours sounds rough?

ive got full 100 cell milltek and mines silky smooth...

If thats the original backbox have a look at the valve that opens and closes with increased throttle as it could be rattling around.

As after the initial warm up has finished all goes quiet... ie less revs so no need for increased outlets ie, valve shut.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjr901 View Post
    Not gonna lie buddy, that sounds horrific.....

My S3 does its usual cold start like yours, so that length of time is normal, and all is fine, but yours sounds rough?

ive got full 100 cell milltek and mines silky smooth...

If thats the original backbox have a look at the valve that opens and closes with increased throttle as it could be rattling around.

As after the initial warm up has finished all goes quiet... ie less revs so no need for increased outlets ie, valve shut.
    I had mine failedto start for the first time the other day, the revs dipped and it felt like it wanted to not start then comes to life, I have had the plugs changed as well, what else can cause dodgy starts??
    2009/2010 | Audi S3 Black Edition Ibis White | Black Optics Pack | Fully Loaded | S-Tronic

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydav2306 View Post
    I had mine failedto start for the first time the other day, the revs dipped and it felt like it wanted to not start then comes to life, I have had the plugs changed as well, what else can cause dodgy starts??
    Sounds like air mass sensor to me.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

4th Gear

Status

Strangely long cold start

I'm sure I read somewhere the other day that someone had had an update to their Revo map and this was an issue they had seem too. They didn't like the map and went back to the previous version I believe.
    2012 RS3 Ibis White | Black Styling Pack | Black Roof Rails | Bose | Cruise | Tyre Package | Privacy Glass

2nd Gear

Status
    My Countax sounds just like that and I've not had it remapped yet.
    A3 2.0TDI Sportback S Line 184 Quattro S-Tronic, Mar. 2014 Glacier white. Electric seats, sunroof, se suspension, heated folding mirrors, Reversing camera, Nappa leather, TPMS, Hold assist, Xenon plus adaptive lights with variable active range control, lane assist, Interior light pack, Technology pack, Comfort pack with ACC, park assist & parking system plus

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    That's well rough, mine S2+ does not do that at all. Something is amiss for sure!
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

1st Gear

Status
    Not sure if it's perhaps related to the fact that it is a non-resonated, complete decat section (no mini/sport cat) which is quite a bit bigger than the stock pipe (76mm) or perhaps even the grade of stainless used that gives it an almost tinny quality at low revs.

I'm pretty stumped actually.

S.
    5th Gear

Status
    my exhaust snapped 2-3 times, broken mounts and it did make some kind of rattle noise.
    get under the car, and take look at the mounts near the turbo. that might be causing issues. mine did.
    s3 Ibis White ... Build Thread

/ Black Grill / FbMfSw / Sunroof / Hill Hold / Armrest / Black Leather-Alcantara interior / Rear Parking Sensors / Heated Seats / Folding Mirrors / Cruise / Rns-e mk2 // ttrs-Brembo Brakes / 12mm spacers / Forge Short + Side Shift / 42dd's / ITG CAI / GfB DV+ / Forge Catch Can / Milltek TBE / Forge Twin IC/ Autotech HpFp / H&R ARB's / WALK / KW v3's / RS4 fpr / Loba&Sachs clutch / Revo Stage 2+ / ...

1st Gear

Status
    So the DP itself doesnt appear to be the culprit after cold starting the car on a lift and listening for any potential knocking from underneath.

Looking into the issue I've seen everthing from the rear PCV hose, various vaccuum lines or even exhaust lifters as being a possible cause. Anybody that can confirm, deny, shed some light on those?