Tripodic Driveshaft End

DaveA3-TDI

Reaction score
I think I might have a problem with the passenger side inner Tripodic drive shaft end on my 2.0 ltr TDi DSG. Basically if I reverse out of a parking space on full lock left there is a loud clunk somewhere from underneath the car. It doesn't always do it each time though! I have had all subframe bolts replaced or tightened and lower rear wishbone bushes replaced and Top mounts checked but that hasn't helped. My anti roll bar bushes appear to be ok also.

I am thinking the tripodic drive shaft end now because I remeber when I bought the car the cv boot over the joint was leaking and there was oil or grease running down the drive shaft. Now the garage told me they had replaced the joint and also fitted a new boot but perhaps they didn't replace the tripodic joint and just fitted a new boot. Do you think this joint could be causing the clunk?

Can anybody think of anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Steering racks did this on full left lock.

Thanks for the info. Is there a way to check the steering rack is causing this issue and are they expensive to replace? So you don't think it is the tripodic drive shaft end?