Chris NottVolks Autos
Results 1 to 28 of 28
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By warren_S3
  • 1 Post By Digzz
  • 1 Post By PH1L

Thread: Rs3 Facelift conversion Please help with DRL Xenon headlight info

  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    79

    Rs3 Facelift conversion Please help with DRL Xenon headlight info

    Hi guys, im new to this forum and have found it very useful to date so far, i have a 2008 A3 170 and decided to do a facelift conversion.. originally i though of S3 but decided to go for the full hog and do an RS3.. wish i never started now due to price of parts etc. i have drl headlights fitted with ballasts/bulbs and the loom conversion, which has another wire on each loom that runs to the electronic control system to separate pins, after plugging lights in and running the first wire to the electronic control unit, both lights seemed to work although passenger side wire hadn't been connected yet.. also notice the DRL's don't work and is there side lights on these light units or does the drl cover these? ive notice a bulb holder moulded to inner casing of headlights but no actual connectors etc running to these, can anyone advise me further on this? would much appreciate any help at all. thanks in advance.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    79
    Any help guys?

  4. #3
    warren_S3's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,067
    You may be better off posting this in the A3 section (8P) as it gets higher throughput of visitors.

    Can't help you myself, but others who've done front end conversions should be able to
    Shades_RS likes this.

  5. #4
    PH1L's Avatar
    Gievf Buckets

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Forfar, Scotland
    Posts
    3,862
    rather than have an endless chain of questions drop me a pm and ill give you my googletalk account and talk you through what youve got to do theres a good few changes


    2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

    Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

    Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

    Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

    Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

  6. #5
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    79
    The conversion itself is more less complete, just need info regarding drl & sidelights. should they be working as ive fitted the wiring adapter from old to new or do i need to do anything else to get them working? also as stated is there a separate sidelight or does drl act as sidelights? would rather talk through it on here to help others with future problems like myself. cheers

  7. #6
    PH1L's Avatar
    Gievf Buckets

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Forfar, Scotland
    Posts
    3,862
    if you use the search tool i have done this to death


    2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

    Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

    Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

    Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

    Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

  8. #7
    Digzz's Avatar
    "Started From The Bottom"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Shades_RS View Post
    The conversion itself is more less complete, just need info regarding drl & sidelights. should they be working as ive fitted the wiring adapter from old to new or do i need to do anything else to get them working? also as stated is there a separate sidelight or does drl act as sidelights? would rather talk through it on here to help others with future problems like myself. cheers
    The DRL Light also acts as a sidelight also.
    Shades_RS likes this.

  9. #8
    Ash187's Avatar
    Audi Retrofitter

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent
    Posts
    6,289

    My Social Networking

    Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    make sure you have all the wires plugged into the right places and its coded correctly. a few have already done this mod including Phil and Diggz and they work fine.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

    MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

    Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread


  10. #9
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash187 View Post
    make sure you have all the wires plugged into the right places and its coded correctly. a few have already done this mod including Phil and Diggz and they work fine.
    i really need to know if drl will work when plugged in or would I need them coded before they will work? I assume the adapter will ensure all cables are in right position. I'm under the impression that coding will get rid of any warning lights thrown up and that drl should work without coding? Is this right? If so why don't mine work? Lol

  11. #10
    Ash187's Avatar
    Audi Retrofitter

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent
    Posts
    6,289

    My Social Networking

    Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    you need to get it coded and wired! those extra wires on the adapter looms are for the bi-xenon shutters and the DRLs so without those wires plugged in no signal is going to the headlight for those functions. also the coding will tell the car that DRLs are now there so it should function fine.

    no point doing half a job and then worrying that it isnt working!
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

    MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

    Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread


  12. #11
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash187 View Post
    you need to get it coded and wired! those extra wires on the adapter looms are for the bi-xenon shutters and the DRLs so without those wires plugged in no signal is going to the headlight for those functions. also the coding will tell the car that DRLs are now there so it should function fine.

    no point doing half a job and then worrying that it isnt working!
    i realise what your saying, I haven't spent 4k on this conversion so far to do half a job, all I want to know if the drl should be working without coding. I've connected the wiring adapters up and the single wire running to the electronic control unit from this new loom adapter. All I need to know.. Should the drl work at this stage? If it should and mine don't then there's pointless me going further until its sorted?? For all I know the lights could be buggered??

  13. #12
    Ash187's Avatar
    Audi Retrofitter

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent
    Posts
    6,289

    My Social Networking

    Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    well from a pre-facelift you should have had 4 wires coming into the electric module.
    left side shutter
    right side shutter
    left side drl
    right side drl

    now some adapters come with just 2 wires as they already wire in the high beam wire direct to the DRL position so the 2 wires coming in are
    left side shutter
    right side shutter

    now without the coding the DRL will not function as the car does not yet know to supply a constant voltage to the bulb.

    which electric module do you have (part number)?
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

    MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

    Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread


  14. #13
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash187 View Post
    well from a pre-facelift you should have had 4 wires coming into the electric module.
    left side shutter
    right side shutter
    left side drl
    right side drl

    now some adapters come with just 2 wires as they already wire in the high beam wire direct to the DRL position so the 2 wires coming in are
    left side shutter
    right side shutter

    now without the coding the DRL will not function as the car does not yet know to supply a constant voltage to the bulb.

    which electric module do you have (part number)?
    ok I think we're getting somewhere now, cheers! The adapters I bought have just the one wire coming off each to run back to module, but I noticed when connecting this one wire from right hand lamp adapter to the pin required for the right side, both headlights worked so leaves me under the impression does passenger side wire need connecting as I don't think it's quite long enough anyway? As for part number on module I'm sure I seem something regarding K ?? But I will double check tomorrow,, do your saying I may need another wire off each to connect in to module for drl? Depending on what module I have. These are the adapters I purchased: Audi A3 S3 8P + TT 8J Xenon headlights adapter cable set, suitable for Bi Xenon | eBay. My car had standard halogen lights fitted, not sure if that makes a difference? Cheers ash.

  15. #14
    N8
    N8's Avatar
    Kowalski Details

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Salford, Manchester
    Posts
    17,110

    My Social Networking

    Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    It's not about adapters, it's about NHN OEM wiring.


    "Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

    Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

  16. #15
    Ash187's Avatar
    Audi Retrofitter

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent
    Posts
    6,289

    My Social Networking

    Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    It's not about adapters, it's about NHN OEM wiring.
    not helping mate

    Quote Originally Posted by Shades_RS View Post
    ok I think we're getting somewhere now, cheers! The adapters I bought have just the one wire coming off each to run back to module, but I noticed when connecting this one wire from right hand lamp adapter to the pin required for the right side, both headlights worked so leaves me under the impression does passenger side wire need connecting as I don't think it's quite long enough anyway? As for part number on module I'm sure I seem something regarding K ?? But I will double check tomorrow,, do your saying I may need another wire off each to connect in to module for drl? Depending on what module I have. These are the adapters I purchased: Audi A3 S3 8P + TT 8J Xenon headlights adapter cable set, suitable for Bi Xenon | eBay. My car had standard halogen lights fitted, not sure if that makes a difference? Cheers ash.
    ok with those adapters you already have the DRLs wired in... the one wire you have left disconnected is the shutter wire... so you will find that you wont be able to do the xenon flash (high beam).
    get the car coded and then go on to test... like i said before you need to complete the job before worrying.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

    MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

    Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread


  17. #16
    N8
    N8's Avatar
    Kowalski Details

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Salford, Manchester
    Posts
    17,110

    My Social Networking

    Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash187 View Post
    not helping mate
    I am, I'm implying NHN will make his problems disappear, as he's a magician when it comes to this stuff.



    "Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

    Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

  18. #17
    Digzz's Avatar
    "Started From The Bottom"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,367
    Theres nothing wrong with adapters. I've been using them for over a year now and had no issues.

  19. #18
    PH1L's Avatar
    Gievf Buckets

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Forfar, Scotland
    Posts
    3,862
    still if you do something do it right oem wiring all the way love the fabric tape
    N8 likes this.


    2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

    Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

    Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

    Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

    Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

  20. #19
    N8
    N8's Avatar
    Kowalski Details

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Salford, Manchester
    Posts
    17,110

    My Social Networking

    Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by PH1L View Post
    still if you do something do it right oem wiring all the way love the fabric tape
    Yeah I was lucky when I do my conversion, as some clever swines over at the Audi factory had already done the wiring, so it was plug n play near enough


    "Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

    Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

  21. #20
    Ash187's Avatar
    Audi Retrofitter

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent
    Posts
    6,289

    My Social Networking

    Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    I am, I'm implying NHN will make his problems disappear, as he's a magician when it comes to this stuff.

    the problem will disappear as soon as the OP wires in lights and codes the car properly.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

    MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

    Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread


  22. #21
    Ash187's Avatar
    Audi Retrofitter

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent
    Posts
    6,289

    My Social Networking

    Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    why does my post keep disappearing?? i have written it twice now!
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

    MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

    Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread


  23. #22
    N8
    N8's Avatar
    Kowalski Details

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Salford, Manchester
    Posts
    17,110

    My Social Networking

    Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash187 View Post
    the problem will disappear as soon as the OP wires in lights and codes the car properly.
    Well done...



    "Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

    Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

  24. #23
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash187 View Post
    well from a pre-facelift you should have had 4 wires coming into the electric module.
    left side shutter
    right side shutter
    left side drl
    right side drl

    now some adapters come with just 2 wires as they already wire in the high beam wire direct to the DRL position so the 2 wires coming in are
    left side shutter
    right side shutter

    now without the coding the DRL will not function as the car does not yet know to supply a constant voltage to the bulb.

    which electric module do you have (part number)?
    Hi ash, the module part number is: 8P0907279K, I connected other wire up today and my main beam or flash worked, well on DRL if this is correct? didn't realise these would give off main beam..but they were very bright, i hope this is right? i was expecting main beam/flash to come off xenon light, so its just a case of coding the drl to work on side lights etc.. and job done? also bought bluetooth last week i assume it wont pick up anything until this is coded also? what is involved in coding? (sorry but im all new to this)

  25. #24
    MTRL's Avatar
    Split Grill!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    463
    Id love to see pics of the finished project, sounds exciting.
    ....................I'll make a build thread one day.

  26. #25
    Ash187's Avatar
    Audi Retrofitter

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent
    Posts
    6,289

    My Social Networking

    Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Shades_RS View Post
    Hi ash, the module part number is: 8P0907279K, I connected other wire up today and my main beam or flash worked, well on DRL if this is correct? didn't realise these would give off main beam..but they were very bright, i hope this is right? i was expecting main beam/flash to come off xenon light, so its just a case of coding the drl to work on side lights etc.. and job done? also bought bluetooth last week i assume it wont pick up anything until this is coded also? what is involved in coding? (sorry but im all new to this)
    yh thats right, as you havent coded it the car still thinks you have a separate bulb for flash and is using the DRLs... once you have it all coded you will be fine.

    bluetooth... yes you have to get it coded so the car knows what you have in there and can talk to it.

    where abouts are you based? also do you have someone that can code it for you?
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

    MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

    Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread


  27. #26
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash187 View Post
    yh thats right, as you havent coded it the car still thinks you have a separate bulb for flash and is using the DRLs... once you have it all coded you will be fine.

    bluetooth... yes you have to get it coded so the car knows what you have in there and can talk to it.

    where abouts are you based? also do you have someone that can code it for you?
    thanks for your help so far, I'm based in Llanelli and Ammanford, S.Wales. I don't have a clue about coding etc.. As its all new to me, if there's no one local to me I don't mind buying the kit and try code myself, same as everything I suppose? It's easy once you know how. I'll be looking for rs3 seats before long and a flat bottom steering wheel to complete transformation

  28. #27
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by MTRL View Post
    Id love to see pics of the finished project, sounds exciting.
    to be honest I'm sorry I started as I didn't expect to throw so many thousands at it but can't wait for finished build myself, did think about S3 rep but I like to be different, either all or f##k all I say :-) it will be going down for paint over the next fortnight. Will keep you all updated.

  29. #28
    Dannykn9's Avatar
    "Cruise My Ride"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Well done...

    Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit!!
    VCDS Owner-North London/Enfield
    " To Cruise Is What I Do"


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13th February 2011, 19:40
  2. Please help with aftermarket stereo 1.8t cabriolet
    By mickmk4 in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2nd February 2011, 21:47
  3. Just put deposit on this Orange S3 - please help with engine details?
    By jamieswales in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12th May 2010, 16:53
  4. Facelift owners with DRL's, headlight question
    By Sem in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2nd September 2009, 11:22
  5. Please help with codes..airbag.
    By vw754 in forum VCDS (formerly VAG-COM) forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 8th July 2008, 02:01

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO