• 1 Post By SmithyAG
  • 1 Post By SmithyAG
  • 1 Post By SmithyAG
  • 1 Post By SmithyAG

Thread: A3 2.0 tdi FMIC...

Audi A3

Status

A3 2.0 tdi FMIC...

Anyone got a 2.0 TDI with a fmic....if so what intercooler do you use and have you got pics?

Cheers
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI - S3 Intercooler - Darkside Developments Hard Pipe Boost Kit - EGR Delete - Milltek Non-Res Decat Exhaust System - Performance -Torque Custom Remap 187BHP + 335lb/ft

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    No point doing it as the standard I/C can handle more than you'll be able to get out of the engine, try improving the ducting to the I/C from the front of the car as this is the biggest issue with it in standard form.
    TDI PD170 S-Line Sportback... 191.2bhp & 290lb/ft torque @ standard with an iffy turbo! No idea with the new one or Shark Stage 1 remap installed, DPF off Stage 1 ready to go, Suspension & wheels to be fitted!
    Bits for sale...
    Genuine S-line 18" alloys, A3 Sportback rear lights. A3 5dr window switches & mirror switch. , Brand new PD170 engine cover. PM for details.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    S3 will be going on mine soon, I have a hybrid on mine.

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

:)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ElliottB View Post
    Anyone got a 2.0 TDI with a fmic....if so what intercooler do you use and have you got pics?

Cheers
    Std IC is front mounted,
    You wont need a bigger IC until you fit BIGGER turbo , unless of course std one is damaged and you are thinking of future power mods

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by max69vk View Post
    No point doing it as the standard I/C can handle more than you'll be able to get out of the engine, try improving the ducting to the I/C from the front of the car as this is the biggest issue with it in standard form.
    what would you suggest to improve it? induction kit?

Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    S3 will be going on mine soon, I have a hybrid on mine.
    do you need to put a S3 one in? as they say the standard one is good for 300BHP?
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread

Neutral

Status
    has anyone used a charge cooler? i used to have one on a petrol turbo car (not an audi) and the difference fitting that alone over a standard intercooler was massive.

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by daz.h View Post
    has anyone used a charge cooler? i used to have one on a petrol turbo car (not an audi) and the difference fitting that alone over a standard intercooler was massive.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale

Neutral

Status
    sorry if youre not familliar with what they are, i should have explained that they are basically a water cooled intercooler rather than air cooled.

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

so does that replace the FMIC or is it an add on?
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:

Items for Sale

Neutral

Status
    it would replace the audi intrcooler

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash187 View Post
    do you need to put a S3 one in? as they say the standard one is good for 300BHP?
    I feel the need, yes.

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

3rd Gear

Status
    The S3 I/C will fit but it needs some modification to the hoses as the attachments aren't in exactly the same position as the TDI I/C. One definate improvement of the S3 I/C over the TDI I/C is that it is an all alloy construction rather than having plastic connectors, which invariably always leak a certain amount (the exception to this are the S3 I/C's from around 2010 onwards which also have plastic connectors).

what would you suggest to improve it? induction kit?
    The standard TDI I/C & intake are suprisingly very good (bar the plastic I/C connectors) & should be good for 250+ bhp. I'd suggest the extra ducting to the I/C purely for the improvement it can make during the summer (or supposedly hotter) months, but even this wont make an exceptional difference.

As I'm not planning on slapping a hybrid on just yet (my turbo was only replaced 500 miles ago by Audi) the one thing I have been toying with is adding ducting from the front of the car into the airbox, the idea being that diesel engines run very lean yet the more fuel you can get into the engine the more oomph you can get out of it. By forcing more air into the intake (idea being the faster you go the more air will be forced through the ducting at the front of the car) the engine will then add more diesel to balance the fueling ratio, & more fuel = more power. This mod wont make huge gains, possibly 3-5bhp at best, however for the price of a £5 piece of ducting it's probably one of the simplest & best £/bhp mods you can do.
    TDI PD170 S-Line Sportback... 191.2bhp & 290lb/ft torque @ standard with an iffy turbo! No idea with the new one or Shark Stage 1 remap installed, DPF off Stage 1 ready to go, Suspension & wheels to be fitted!
    Bits for sale...
    Genuine S-line 18" alloys, A3 Sportback rear lights. A3 5dr window switches & mirror switch. , Brand new PD170 engine cover. PM for details.

Mellow Yellow

Status
    If you are thinking of buying a new intercooler, I assume you have already removed the EGR and the silencers? These will have a far greater effect on the way the car drives. The EGR is fiddly, but removing the silencers and fitting with straight pipes is very easy/cheap and doesn't really make much difference to the exhaust sound.

Combine these with a custom map and you'll be flying along in no time.

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status

A3 2.0 tdi FMIC...

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'd like some clarity on this subject.

The car im now driving 2.0 TDI hybrid turbo has a FMIC fitted but not piped in. Apparently it made the car feel too laggy so he re-piped the standard IC back in.

What I would like to know is if anyone has logged their AITs with VCDS with a stock IC then with a FMIC?

The benefits of a FMIC are more then most people think an it doesn't just apply to a certain power level. The whole point of a FMIC is to cool the charge air from the turbo as much as possible before it reaches the AIT sensor and TB. I'm sure we'd all agree that you can feel how much more sharp our cars are on a freezing cold day compared to a hot one?!

The main issue with most standard ICs I that they suffer from heat soak! After a few spirited blasts the IC is hot from the charge air and struggles to recover so becomes fairly useless. A FMIC is smack bang out in the cold air and due to its larger surface area remains nice and cold which keeps the car feeling crisp.

Anyway, I'm sure you all know the blurb. Just wondered if there were any AIT logs from anyone and if you could let me know the dimension of your FMIC cores. I'm guessing the one I have maybe too large and that's what's causing the lag. I'll try to do some of my own AIT logging at the weekend.
    Last edited by Westy; 19th February 2014 at 11:42.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow SmithyAG On Twitter
    Where is your current (in use) intercooler?

Earlier in the thread it is stated that the 2.0TDI has a front mounted intercooler as standard.... and I can confirm my IC is front mounted, and the car is not modified.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SmithyAG View Post
    Where is your current (in use) intercooler?

Earlier in the thread it is stated that the 2.0TDI has a front mounted intercooler as standard.... and I can confirm my IC is front mounted, and the car is not modified.
    Ooooo, not sure! I assumed it would be side mounted like the 8L model. You know what they about assumptions!

So it is possible that the FMIC that has been fitted is now sittin infront of the OE one?! Not a good idea that! I'll have the bumper of this weekend and have a little look.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Can't imagine it to be honest, as theres already an IC, a rad and an aircon rad, so not much room lol.

Best to have a nosey and see whats going on.
    Westy likes this.

Status
    Can someone confirm that the following picture is indeed the engine layout of the 2.0 TDI A3:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Diesel Power!

Status
    Similar,

Mine is PDD170 and i know its a sheet photo but you can see oil cap, top left and there is a shroud over the dip stick.

Will get a better picture after work,

Black Audi A3 8P 2.0TDi

V-Maxx Coil overs | S3 Rear Spoiler | De Wiperd | TTRS Alloys | S3 Rear Bumper | S3 Side Skirts | Votex Front Spoiler | LED Ring in Fogs | LED Interior Lights | LED Number plate lights | Custom Foot well lights | DPF Removed | Green Cotton P/F | JBS Phase 2 | Pressed Plates | LED Side lights | Custom Rear Light tint | Complete Matt Black Plasti Dip | Honey Comb Front Grill | Silvertec Indicators | BOSE | Sunroof | Forge Short Shift

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Westy, it looks like a CR engine, is that the one you are after?

Mine is a 140PD 2.0TDI, and looks slightly different to the above.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SmithyAG View Post
    Westy, it looks like a CR engine, is that the one you are after?

Mine is a 140PD 2.0TDI, and looks slightly different to the above.
    No I've got the PD BKD engine. I'll have another google hunt.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

It looks roughly right for the location of the intercooler, just minor differences with the routing of the pipework tbh
    Westy likes this.

Status
    Ok so I got round to logging my intake temps last week and wanted to know what other people are seeing?

Outside temp - 7.5 degrees Celcius
    Max Temp - 26.1 degrees.
    Intercooler - Standard

Can those of you with full VCDS do a run and let me know what your results are please.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

I'll do a log this afternoon/evening, got about an hours worth of driving this afternoon to do and then a trip out tonight with probably another hour behind the wheel.

I'll log the intake temps and outside temp and let you know what they average and peak at if that helps. (Also a BKD engine).
    Westy likes this.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Just got home from the office, had a quick look on way home and intake temp was 13 degrees and outside temp 10.5 in stop start traffic, motorway cruising saw 15degrees average and hard acceleration saw a very brief peak of 24 degrees, no matter how hard I pushed or for how long. Wasn't a particularly long drive though, maybe 12 miles.

I'm out again in a couple of hours so will compare temps then, as the outside temp will have dropped so I'll see if the intake temps drop accordingly.
    Westy likes this.

Status
    Thanks smithy. What state of tune are you in? Stock FMIC? Stock turbo? Remap? Etc.

Thanks for doing the logs bud.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Hi mate, it's stock fmic, stock turbo with just a map, 180bhp.

Just got in from an evening out and was a good long run home. Outside temp 5, intake 10-12 on motorway/normal driving. Pushed it hard for a couple of miles to see how high I could get it and it maxed at 22, for a brief moment. Then just some normal fast road driving saw it average 16.

Hope this is of some help!
    Westy likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    I always thought that the rad and the cooler was one unit ??
    Last edited by dancupra225; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:57.

Neutral

Status
    Pah!!! Get WMi
    Torque, Torque, Torque

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by the obese penguin View Post
    Pah!!! Get WMi
    I will if you give me some evidence as to how good it is. Go and get me some data

Seriously though I have thought the easiest solution would be to stick on a WMI kit and that'll save messing about with FMIC and hoses too much.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Status
    Thanks smithy, that is good info. It looks like the stock FMIC is fine on a stage 1 car like everyone says. Be nice to see what figures some of the guys are getting with hybrids or BTs.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Status
    Anyone else fancy doing some logging for me?
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

2nd Gear

Status
    Any pics of people fmic fitted ?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dancupra225 View Post
    Any pics of people fmic fitted ?
    Most people have just upgraded the stock FMIC with an S3 one which has Ali ends which apparently aids cooling which I why I want data

There doesn't appear to be too many people running aftermarket FMIC that are just behind the bumper in the cool air. So you'll be hard pressed to find many pics Dan.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

2nd Gear

Status
    But the standard one is a massive unit so get rid of that one get a separate rad and cooler I'm quessing

Status
    But the standard one is a massive unit so get rid of that one get a separate rad and cooler I'm quessing
    I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth having an aftermarket one fitted out in from of the rad and AC. I'm sure it will be an I'm sure the 2.0 TDI be benefit from cooler AITs but so far both myself and smithy are getting 20 degrees above ambient. Now I don't know whether this is good or bad but I do know that if it's 30 degrees outside that an AIT of 50 degrees is quite hot.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

2nd Gear

Status
    Didn't really answer my question bud the whole unit is it complete as mine has a crack in rad at mo k seal solve it but Want it sorted that all can I put separate rad and cooler in

Status
    Didn't really answer my question bud the whole unit is it complete as mine has a crack in rad at mo k seal solve it but Want it sorted that all can I put separate rad and cooler in
    I'm not sure what you mean mate. The FMIC and rad are two seperate cores so you'll just need to replace the rad.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

2nd Gear

Status
    Cool seem a massive unit tho with fans and stuff buy quessibg part of the air con etc

Status
    It looks like that as the FMIC is sandwiched between the rad and the AC unit.

Here is what the FMIC looks like once out:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/321164970253
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread