a3 s line 140 and 170

jay09

Reaction score
what bhp can u get the 140 to and the 170 ? cheers jay

funny here.... lots of different opinions. I bought the 170 and spoke to simon at ecotech performance. His advice to me was if the DPF was not giving issues then to just leave it as is for the time being and just remap. Are they not both essentialy the same engine???

Yeah, I got my 170 remapped, still have DPF, no issues up till now...

I bought a 140 BKD, no DPF to worry about. Insurance and tax cheaper between the 2 models. 140 straightforward remap if you want.
170 currently having an injector recall and a few having problems, a couple of threads for you to read on the forum will help you decide.

170 bhp comes with bigger brakes, will run 200bhp with map and DPF still fitted.

Injector recall is just that... A recall. Most cars will have been done by now as it been going on for a couple of years.

140bhp models are probe to turbo failure so mapping them is a sure way to shorten turbo life.

funny here.... lots of different opinions. I bought the 170 and spoke to simon at ecotech performance. His advice to me was if the DPF was not giving issues then to just leave it as is for the time being and just remap. Are they not both essentialy the same engine???

They are, aside from the 170 engine having different injectors (problematic), a larger garrett turbo, and i think theres one more thing but i cant remember, maybe the dpf. All facelift models come with dpfs now though. 08 onwards i think. The 140 is way more reliable

Apart from the dodgy turbo & cylinder head failure issues. At least the injector issue is being covered & rectified on the 170, whereas the faults with the 140 aren't.

Yet were both nowhere better with our cars... Well maybe for me at least urs seems to be better. Still not as good as it used to be

Finally looks like mine is now sorted except for a slight vibration which I think could be subframe mount related, so I've orders myself a Shark STS unit! Looking forward to plugging & unleashing a few extra horses! :D

Reactions: runnernorth
hi people, you will have to excuse me as i am new to all this audi, diesel stuff ect ect,
what is dpf? pd? bkd?

the reason i ask is my a3 has gone really slugish, down on power ect.

ian.

DPF - Diesel Particulate Filter
PD - Pump Duse - the type of injection system used on the 140 and 170 up until 2008 / 09
BKD - engine code for the 140bhp diesel model

I'd suggest starting a separate thread for your own problems :)

still cant decide on witch 1 to get! can u not do anythin else make the bhp go up anymore any thanks for the help !