rev counter bouncing between 0 and 500 revs no higher

nezl

Reaction score
hi i have just bought a 53 plate 2.0tdi 8p a3 and at idle the rev counter doesn't move then as you get above 15ish mph it starts to bounce to around 500rpm then back to 0 never any higher, i have tried using the search box but am struggling to find any info, is it a common problem or dose anybody have any ideas as to what it may be sensors ect or where to start looking thank you in advance for any help regards neil

its running and driving fine mate its just the rev dial that is not working correctly regards

Maybe the needle is just loose, or a wee tooth has broken off a cog somewhere? I guess it'd be a dial-out job to fix... might need a new cluster?

would i be better off getting it repaired as im assuming a new cluster would need recodein to the ecu to keep the mileage ect regards neil

To be honest, I don't know. Even if I knew why it wasn't working properly, I still wouldn't be the one to advise you on whether to repair or replace it. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon enough to help.

cheers for the help mate ill see what i get recommended and try a few things tomorrow i was checking the wireing today but am unsure as to how the rpm is read on these and couldn't seem to find many sensors on the gearbox ect if anybody knows which sensors i should be looking for it could be of great help as it has had an engine swap recently so assuming it may just be a sensor unplugged or not connected properly regards neil

right i have had the cluster out today and if i take the plastic vented cover off the back the motor right behind the rev counter looks burnt out its a white motor covered in some black and brown dusty substance and looks like its burnt out im just wondering if anybody knows where i could get it repaired or if its a hard part to replace on my own or if i got another cluster off ebay how much it would cost to get it reprogrammed to the car thankyou for the help regards neil

PM 'NHN', he might be able to help you resolve this and he's back in circulation this week