Need advice on Options on A3's

JD007F

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am very new to this website i am currently looking to buy a a3 s line 2.0 170, what i was wondering i like to try and buy my cars with plenty of options in them but what i was wondering out of the options below which ones can i add after and that are easyish to do or which ones should i try and buy within the car.

Bose Sound System
Xenons with LED Daytime running lights
Adaptive lights
Power Folding win mirrors
Garage Door Home Link.
Interior Light Package
Cruise Control
Flat Bottomed Multi-Function Steering Wheel
Bluetooth
iPod Preparation
Heated Front Seats
Auto Wipers & Lights, Auto dimming rear view mirror and wind mirrors
Sat Nav system,
Acoustic Front and rear parking senors if both are able to have them come up on the screen?
Rotor Arm alloys.

Hope you guys are able to help me out with what i'm asking.

Many thanks James

As many as you can afford!

I would take all of them except the bose (over rated), rotor alloys, parking sensors and adaptive lights

Well you say as much as you can afford but liviing in cornwall we dont get many cars that are kitted with loads of options so i was hoping if i could pick an a3 up with say leather seats and the alloys i dont mind spending the money to add things but i have a vauxhall at the mo and everything you do on that always needs tech 2 computer to activate it but was wondering if audi was the same or could i say just take out the normal sound system and put the audi sat nav system in with no hassle.

Cheers

for me a must is:

Cruise, multifunction steering wheel, parking sensors, auto lights and wipers. Mine has Bose and i think it sounds awesome...

And i wouldnt be bothered about adaptive lighting or garage door link (my garage uses an old fashion handle, and is full of junk!)

I know what your on about in respects to cars for sale in cornwall... same in devon. They demand a high price with limited numbers and specs. You really are going to have to travel for anything other than an astra or focus!

Most things you add to modern audi's need to be coded in with VCDS, no real dramas.

Fair enough! It all depends what sort of money the extra options demand really. Will you be buying from a dealers or private? new car?

The stereo and sound system components can be changed relatively easily, whether you want to stick with the audi RNS or you can opt for a decent aftermarket unit (more bang for buck). The following prices should give you an idea what sort of money the kit will cost....
RNS sat nav unit. £400-600 depending on model
Ipod interface. £50-100
Bluetooth. £150-200

Alternatively you can go with an aftermarket unit. I have the Alpine s900r and it blows the audi units out of the water. Costs around £7-800 but includes dvd playback, iPod interface, usb input, aux input, sat nav, bluetooth, steering wheel interface etc.

Most of the other options can also be retrofitted relatively inexpensively- Cruise control, MF steering wheel (essential), interior light packages

More expensive retrofits - Heated seats (requires heating components and climate unit. Personally Im not fussed on them), power folding mirrors, auto lights (requires new windscreen), xenon lights (££££), adaptive lights.

As you can see pretty much everything can be retrofitted, and the guys on here can help you out with anything you need. S-line models usually come pretty well specced as standard so I'd concentrate on finding a car with mint bodywork and engine etc, then have fun with the mods :blackrs4:

Yeh thts cool I think most of the s line a3 come with quit a few cruise and the steering wheel which is all good is the s line most recommendable model to go for do you reckon.

I only thought bout the adaptive lighting as I've got it in my Astra now and it's awesome on the country roads at night etc. like u say I did think the garage door link was a waste but only wondered as I park mine in the garage every night as thts the parking I have lol.

Haha Astra or focus's thts soo true made me chuckle I am happy to travel a little but it's always nice to keep local I'd I can.

The vcds does anyone in cornwall do this etc and does it cost much. I know with tech 2 on vx is cost a bomb when u go to vx them selves and I drove to Birmingham to get my stuff fitted last year on my Astra lol.

Cheers

well i would prefer to buy from a dealer but i dont mind buying from someone personally as longs as they have paper work and the car has to be perfect and exactly what i'm looking for etc.
Yeh i understand certain options arnt really needed or are very expensive. i like to try and keep all the bits i put on cars to be original so like the sat nav you say rns not sure what that means but would i be able to fit like this one on ebay etc long it was the right part number etc. could you alos help me out with what sat nav models there are and what the differance are between them if thats ok.
Audi navigation RNS-E A3 S3 DVD GPS sat nav LED MEDIA Version G glossy surround | eBay

many thanks James

Fair enough! It all depends what sort of money the extra options demand really. Will you be buying from a dealers or private? new car?

The stereo and sound system components can be changed relatively easily, whether you want to stick with the audi RNS or you can opt for a decent aftermarket unit (more bang for buck). The following prices should give you an idea what sort of money the kit will cost....
RNS sat nav unit. £400-600 depending on model
Ipod interface. £50-100
Bluetooth. £150-200

Alternatively you can go with an aftermarket unit. I have the Alpine s900r and it blows the audi units out of the water. Costs around £7-800 but includes dvd playback, iPod interface, usb input, aux input, sat nav, bluetooth, steering wheel interface etc.

Most of the other options can also be retrofitted relatively inexpensively- Cruise control, MF steering wheel (essential), interior light packages

More expensive retrofits - Heated seats (requires heating components and climate unit. Personally Im not fussed on them), power folding mirrors, auto lights (requires new windscreen), xenon lights (££££), adaptive lights.

As you can see pretty much everything can be retrofitted, and the guys on here can help you out with anything you need. S-line models usually come pretty well specced as standard so I'd concentrate on finding a car with mint bodywork and engine etc, then have fun with the mods :blackrs4:

well i would prefer to buy from a dealer but i dont mind buying from someone personally as longs as they have paper work and the car has to be perfect and exactly what i'm looking for etc.
Yeh i understand certain options arnt really needed or are very expensive. i like to try and keep all the bits i put on cars to be original so like the sat nav you say rns not sure what that means but would i be able to fit like this one on ebay etc long it was the right part number etc. could you alos help me out with what sat nav models there are and what the differance are between them if thats ok.
Audi navigation RNS-E A3 S3 DVD GPS sat nav LED MEDIA Version G glossy surround | eBay

many thanks James
The Audi navigation plus systems are generally referred to as RNS-E units. There are essentially 3 different versions -
8P0 035 192 followed by a letter. A,B,C etc denotes earlier unit. Q,R,S etc is a later unit. Some of the later models came with chrome knobsThe first version looks like this
a3unit1.jpg

Part numbers then changed to 8P0 035 193 in 2009/10. They came with chrome buttons and the CD/TV button was replaced with a media button. The newer version also ran faster, had a better screen and can take larger capacity SD cards
images

The most recent versions have part number 8P0 035 193 G or H and have the glossy surround you posted.

Hope that gives you an idea!

That's cracking bit of info for me. Many thanks for taking you lr time to tell me about the sat nav systems. To have theses fitted in the a3 would I need tht vcds etc.

Cheers

You most likely will need it coded in using VCDS. However some of the guys on here including myself have been able to fit the units without requiring any coding. It really depends on what the settings are on the cars "brain" and the RNS, but for full functionality you should have it coded.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/vcds-formerly-vag-com-forum/84603-***vcds-users-map***.html
That thread has a map of all the VCDS users on here so hopefully you will find someone nearby!

Yeh thts understandable I'll check tht out for when I get an a3. Does everything have to be vcds then jw.

Sorry to ask u do many questions.

Thanks James.

Not sure what your asking! VCDS is just the program that allows you to scan the car for faults and make changes to settings

You can make a heap of other changes with it inc. alarm beep, coming home/leaving home lights etc so its worth paying someone with VCDS a visit

Spec all of it new, all can be added afterwards, but at more expense, but.....if you want it all done afterwards, there is only one person capable and that is this man:

NHN

Not sure what your asking! VCDS is just the program that allows you to scan the car for faults and make changes to settings

You can make a heap of other changes with it inc. alarm beep, coming home/leaving home lights etc so its worth paying someone with VCDS a visit

Oh rite I see sorry I just took it from what ppl were saying above I would have to buy say the sat mac system fit it then have the vcds to activate it with the cars brain etc. as I know thts what I have to do on vx. But if you can just fit things tht sounds gd then pay someone who has vcds a vist and do a few little extra bits like u say alarm beep etc lol. Cheers

Spec all of it new, all can be added afterwards, but at more expense, but.....if you want it all done afterwards, there is only one person capable and that is this man:

NHN

Thts cool think I am finally getting all this with what vcds us etc. who's this man u are own about as I can see nothing coming up on my iPhone lol.

Cheers

NHN = Nigel - the only person you should deal with when it comes to retrofitting anything.

If in doubt, look up my car. It was a basic sport with nothing but Bose. Now it has almost everything you have mentioned - thanks to Nigel.

Reactions: N8
NHN = Nigel - the only person you should deal with when it comes to retrofitting anything.

If in doubt, look up my car. It was a basic sport with nothing but Bose. Now it has almost everything you have mentioned - thanks to Nigel.

Oh rite aww might have to check Nige out. Where abouts does he live bet it's miles away from cornwall haha lol.

Bose Sound System - Not worth the money, better off just changing the speakers after you buy the car, if you can't be bothered then go for Bose
Xenons with LED Daytime running lights - deffo get this one as it costs way more to retrofit the levellers and washers along with the lights
Adaptive lights - again if you can get it specced with the car
Power Folding win mirrors - easy to fit later, not really something you need to spec
Garage Door Home Link. - depends if you really need it, if so then try to get
Interior Light Package - love this on mine, costs a fair bit to get all the lights on the car as a retrofit
Cruise Control - easy to retrofit, dont bother looking for this, just add it after
Flat Bottomed Multi-Function - again you can get this at any point later.
Bluetooth, Sat Nav system, iPod Preparation - as advised earlier the sound system bits can be added relatively easily later on
Heated Front Seats - if you think you really need this then order with the car
Auto Wipers & Lights, Auto dimming rear view mirror and wind mirrors - not too hard to retrofit, will cost around £500 for the auto lights and dimming rear view, the door mirrors however are more expensive and you may just want to get that with the folding option from factory
Acoustic Front and rear parking senors if both are able to have them come up on the screen? - this can be done but im not sure if it is available on the latest RNSE... what you really want is a reverse camera!
Rotor Arm alloys. - can buy this later anyway

I install most of these bits too so take it from a retrofitter when i say the xenons are what you should be looking to get when getting the car, most of the other bits as advised can be added though the power folding and dimming wing mirrors are really hard to come by.

Bose Sound System - Not worth the money, better off just changing the speakers after you buy the car, if you can't be bothered then go for Bose
Xenons with LED Daytime running lights - deffo get this one as it costs way more to retrofit the levellers and washers along with the lights
Adaptive lights - again if you can get it specced with the car
Power Folding win mirrors - easy to fit later, not really something you need to spec
Garage Door Home Link. - depends if you really need it, if so then try to get
Interior Light Package - love this on mine, costs a fair bit to get all the lights on the car as a retrofit
Cruise Control - easy to retrofit, dont bother looking for this, just add it after
Flat Bottomed Multi-Function - again you can get this at any point later.
Bluetooth, Sat Nav system, iPod Preparation - as advised earlier the sound system bits can be added relatively easily later on
Heated Front Seats - if you think you really need this then order with the car
Auto Wipers & Lights, Auto dimming rear view mirror and wind mirrors - not too hard to retrofit, will cost around £500 for the auto lights and dimming rear view, the door mirrors however are more expensive and you may just want to get that with the folding option from factory
Acoustic Front and rear parking senors if both are able to have them come up on the screen? - this can be done but im not sure if it is available on the latest RNSE... what you really want is a reverse camera!
Rotor Arm alloys. - can buy this later anyway

I install most of these bits too so take it from a retrofitter when i say the xenons are what you should be looking to get when getting the car, most of the cother bits as advised can be added though the power folding and dimming wing mirrors are really hard to come by.

Cracking bit of information thank you. May I ask why the power folding wing mirrors are hard to come by. Just I could do with them to park the car in the garage lol always the way the dimming wing mirrors arnt a problem. Just trying to get similar options what I got on my Astra now which are; folding mirrors,auto lights/wipers dimming rear view Mirror, adaptive lights,parking sensors climate,cruise and heated leather seats lol. Think I've got a mission to do on a a3 when I get it lol. When you say your a retrofitter I take it you fit all the options for people on here is tht right. Thank you for it info may I ask why the Bose is pointless I have heard some ppl love it and some ppl not so much lol

Cheers

Hi fella

Bose is a kind of marmite thing.

The hardcore ravers (a.k.a Yoot) don't like the lower frequency bass! they usually prefer a hard line, solid, thumping 'hear it all the way into the next county' kind of bassline - But audiophiles generally prefer the more mellow & deeper sound that Bose gives! I'm one of those audiophiles & love it. :wub:

If you're looking for a main dealer car, you can set the search options to cover 'national', you'll then get returns for all A3's in the country and can arrange for a car to be shipped nearer to you for a test drive. you have to be careful to ask what options are installed though, because they're not all usually listed on the website - which is a major hassle.

P.S: agree with the adaptive Xenons - they really are trippy down dark lanes.

good luck

Hi fella

Bose is a kind of marmite thing.

The hardcore ravers (a.k.a Yoot) don't like the lower frequency bass! they usually prefer a hard line, solid, thumping 'hear it all the way into the next county' kind of bassline - But audiophiles generally prefer the more mellow & deeper sound that Bose gives! I'm one of those audiophiles & love it. :wub:

If you're looking for a main dealer car, you can set the search options to cover 'national', you'll then get returns for all A3's in the country and can arrange for a car to be shipped nearer to you for a test drive. you have to be careful to ask what options are installed though, because they're not all usually listed on the website - which is a major hassle.

good luck

Haha major raver I like it. I sound more like ur self buddy Bose could be for me if it's in an a3 I look at bonus I say haha. Yeh thts cool well I'm looking anywhere between Cornwall and Northampton as got family there but if I can help it only as far as cheltenham as my parter is at uni there lol, but we will see I'm struggling to find anything I fancie at the mo without it being a 12 plate but of a bummer but I'll keep looking lol.

What engine would everyone recommend I'm trying to get the 2.0 170 in a 3door but not many about lol.

Cheers

Cracking bit of information thank you. May I ask why the power folding wing mirrors are hard to come by. Just I could do with them to park the car in the garage lol always the way the dimming wing mirrors arnt a problem. Just trying to get similar options what I got on my Astra now which are; folding mirrors,auto lights/wipers dimming rear view Mirror, adaptive lights,parking sensors climate,cruise and heated leather seats lol. Think I've got a mission to do on a a3 when I get it lol. When you say your a retrofitter I take it you fit all the options for people on here is tht right. Thank you for it info may I ask why the Bose is pointless I have heard some ppl love it and some ppl not so much lol

Cheers

the power folding mirrors barely come up on ebay or scrap yards, and to buy them brand new is something like £700 for the set!
I have them fitted on mine with the dimming glass and yh they are worth the hassle of fitting them but i didn't pay that amount for it.

Yh i retrofit parts onto cars for others here and i mod my own car. have a look on my blog (link in sig) and you can see the list of stuff i have done on mine.

your astra sounds like it had a nice spec... and yes its very hard to find that spec on a second hand audi, thats why i have retrofitted it all onto mine.

I have bose on mine and although its not a 'bad' sound system its far from great! the bass lacks majorly, and if it wasnt for me fitting the Pioneer system in mine i would have said the rest of it sounds fairly flat. thankfully the pioneer unit has a proper equaliser that the bose responds to nicely... i just need to replace the sub now to get the perfect setup.

the power folding mirrors barely come up on ebay or scrap yards, and to buy them brand new is something like £700 for the set!
I have them fitted on mine with the dimming glass and yh they are worth the hassle of fitting them but i didn't pay that amount for it.

Yh i retrofit parts onto cars for others here and i mod my own car. have a look on my blog (link in sig) and you can see the list of stuff i have done on mine.

your astra sounds like it had a nice spec... and yes its very hard to find that spec on a second hand audi, thats why i have retrofitted it all onto mine.

I have bose on mine and although its not a 'bad' sound system its far from great! the bass lacks majorly, and if it wasnt for me fitting the Pioneer system in mine i would have said the rest of it sounds fairly flat. thankfully the pioneer unit has a proper equaliser that the bose responds to nicely... i just need to replace the sub now to get the perfect setup.

Oh rite I see that's a bit of a bummer then as I could do with the folding mirrors for fitting the car in the garage. Can u fold ur mirrors in when u want or is it only when u lock and unlock the car.

Yeh I'll have to check ur blog out once I get on the computer as I'm currently off my iPhone. Where abouts do u live etc always handy to know if ur a retro fitter.

Yeh it was pretty hard to find lucky it was only up the road lol the manager of vx. I'm happy to add things my self but it's nice to get as much as I can in the car already lol. I'm still debating weather to go for a s3 or a3 sline with 170 engine lol. Also I have seen most a lines in black edition come with Bose. Is tht a pioneer headset u got etc jw?

Cheers

The power folding mirrors normally come on the car with a switch which you can fold in manually but it doesn't fold in when you lock the car (really stupid design) I have adapted mine to fold/unfold when I lock/unlock the car... Unfortunately not yet got around to adding a manual switch to it (will do in near future)

Yes i have recently upgraded my headunit I the latest pioneer headunit and also have a reverse camera hooked up to it, really nice headunit and so functional

As for the s3 or tdi, you need to think about what's more important... Very fast car or very economical? The s3 is lovely but with its low mpg and high tax and running costs it's not cheap at all... The 170 will give you about 50mpg and has a very nice low tax bracket... As lon as you do regular long journeys you shouldn't get bothered with the DPF much, but remember it runs at half the power of the s3

i did the same process with my a6, it had to have adaptive lights and a sunroof, as retro fit of both is ££££

The power folding mirrors normally come on the car with a switch which you can fold in manually but it doesn't fold in when you lock the car (really stupid design) I have adapted mine to fold/unfold when I lock/unlock the car... Unfortunately not yet got around to adding a manual switch to it (will do in near future)

Yes i have recently upgraded my headunit I the latest pioneer headunit and also have a reverse camera hooked up to it, really nice headunit and so functional

As for the s3 or tdi, you need to think about what's more important... Very fast car or very economical? The s3 is lovely but with its low mpg and high tax and running costs it's not cheap at all... The 170 will give you about 50mpg and has a very nice low tax bracket... As lon as you do regular long journeys you shouldn't get bothered with the DPF much, but remember it runs at half the power of the s3

Thats cool that the mirrors fold in with me pressing a buttn as i can fold them in to get the car in the garage but be nice if they folded in when you lock/unlock the car is well haha u keep working on it lol.

I think i'm better off going for the tdi 170 as i do my far bit of milage in a year and would be better for me to have one. bye s3 haha. do many guys on here add the dtuk boxes to the tdi at all if they do what sort of bhp out put do they get from them then. also you said this

lon as you do regular long journeys you shouldn't get bothered with the DPF much

what is the dpf is it somehting i need tro know etc.

Many thanks sorry to ask so many questions lol

James

The DPF is the Diesel Particulate filter... have a search in google about it.
It basically is a filter to stop the excess soot from pumping out the back of the car, it catches it and then the heat of the exhaust burns it all off
common issue that people have is that it builds up due to some not going on longer drives and then it throws up errors. the long journeys really heat up the exhaust and burns it all off.

The power folding mirrors normally come on the car with a switch which you can fold in manually but it doesn't fold in when you lock the car (really stupid design)

Personally I glad the mirrors don't un-fold when I unlock the car. My garage is quite tight and I judge my position by getting my passenger side mirror close to the door frame. When I reverse out I always fold my mirrors in so that there is no chance of scraping the mirrors on the door frame.

No most users on here will use different companies. Shark/Revo/AMD etc. A 170 with DPF off and software can see between 210/220bhp.

I have a 170 quattro - really nice to drive and lots of fun to be had if you want. Returns mid-hi 40's on the motorway (49 is the highest I have managed on the Aberdeen to Lancaster trip) and I average 47 on the journey to work and back (A-roads, B roads, and slight town/traffic).

If that's any use to you :)