Lights left on alert? + more questions from a new owner

t0ph0id

Reaction score
Hi, first post here.

I've only recently got my A3 8P 2.0TDi Sport and love it already, it 54 reg.

Are they supposed to have a headlights left on alert when you take the keys out? Almost flattened the battery they other day already!

Also, my windows don't go up or down when holding lock/unlock on the key fob, is this standard? Do I have a fault somewhere?

Chris

Take the key out with the sidelights on and open the door

Up/down can be enabled with vcds

Welcome to ASN ;)

Take the key out with the sidelights on and open the door

Up/down can be enabled with vcds

Welcome to ASN ;)

Thanks for the welcome.

Hmm, I must have a problem then, left the sidelights on, took the keys out and opened the door, no alert.

:(

Welcome to the forum,

Are you sure you have selected sidelights? The first position from 0 is for daylight running ((lights DRL's) front only, unless altered in VCDS) - these don't trigger the alert, whereas the second position will activate your sidelights (front & rear) and give a warning when left on / ignition off / door open.

Hope this helps?

PS DRL's will turn on/off automatically hence why no warning is given.

PPS I did read somewhere to open all windows then close them using door switches to reset them and then try the long press on the keyfob. On my DIS I can choose whether the windows open / close via the comfort setting (keyfob).

This is what should happen - as you can see my car has DRL (so ignore this if you dont have them). You might have a faulty door switch or something - turn your ignition on and open your drivers door, does it display on the central screen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies my post may not be relevent as after coming back to the thread now, I realise, as stated you may not even have the DRL's

Sorry.

Hi, first post here.

Are they supposed to have a headlights left on alert when you take the keys out? Almost flattened the battery they other day already!

Also, my windows don't go up or down when holding lock/unlock on the key fob, is this standard? Do I have a fault somewhere?

Chris

My '53 has the same issue. If I open the driver door it's does not show in the dis.

Does it alert you if you leave the lights on?

Hi, first post here.

Chris

Sounds like you have a faulty door switch. The car isn't knowing you've opened the door and hence no "lights on" warning. Does your interior lights come on when you open the door?

Got the same problem on my '53 also, interior lights come on when the drivers door is opened but no lights alert or anything on the dis saying the door is open, unless I open the door with the ignition on :/, still no lights alert either way :(

So I checked this morning and when I open the drivers door it does not show on the DIS, when I open the passenger door it does.
Looks like a faulty door switch then?

Anyone know the part number and how to change it?

Got the remote windows working, just needed to hold it down a bit longer, I was being impatient.

Last edited:
I had this problem on my old 04 plate 2.0 TDI. There were some really strange electrical things going on with it. All the lights would flash on the dash when I turned the stereo off without the keys in the ignition also... weird.

My interior light does not come on when I open the driver door nor do I get the alert when Leavig the lights on.

Where can I locate to door switch?

My interior light does not come on when I open the driver door nor do I get the alert when Leavig the lights on.

Where can I locate to door switch?

Yeah my interior light doesn't come on either, only when the passenger door is opened.

So anyone know the part number and how easy it is to fit?

Is it just a case of popping the door card off and replacing the switch? Is there much disconnecting involved? Simple plug to pull out?

Still trying to get this issue sorted, can anyone help with the part number?

Thanks

The switch appears to be part of the door lock and is not available separately.

The part number is dependent upon 3 door or sportback and chassis number. The earlier one is £110 and the later one £130.

The switch appears to be part of the door lock and is not available separately.

The part number is dependent upon 3 door or sportback and chassis number. The earlier one is £110 and the later one £130.

Thanks for the response Mike.

Mine's a 54 plate 3 door sport TDi

So if looking on eBay or parts site I'd be looking for a new drivers door lock for the same model?

You are looking for 'door lock with contact switch'. Early part number (up to chassis numbers 8P-5A200000 and 8P-5B050000) is :-

4E2 837 016 (£110)

Later part number is :- 4F2 837 016 B (£130)

You are looking for 'door lock with contact switch'. Early part number (up to chassis numbers 8P-5A200000 and 8P-5B050000) is :-

4E2 837 016 (£110)

Later part number is :- 4F2 837 016 B (£130)

Amazing, thanks a lot Mike.