Turbo cutting out please help

onion1

Reaction score
i have a 2.0ltr diesel audi a3 on a 05.when i give it some beans hot or cold mty turbo cuts out and my engine management light comes on...... But this is intermittent. When i have took it to my local man he has put it on Vagcom and the fault that comes up is Boost pressure.... Its been smoke tested and no leaks were found...... When i asked him what the problem was a bit vague about what it was but said it could be the start of a knackered turbo bearing...... He told me to keep driving it till it got worse...... Does anyone have any ideas what this problem could be because its driving me mad...... Cheers Mike

It's 100% a knackered turbo and will need replacing ! The overboost pressure is caused by the turbo vanes sticking and the car goes into limp mode to protect the engine. Switch off and start again and it will be ok until it overboosts again.

Only long term answer is to replace turbo. Some people try to clean the vanes but it never lasts.

My man says there was a slight whistle on the turbo... which is the start to a knackered bearing.... But you know what some mechanics are like they never want to commit themselves incase they are wrong..... Do you definately think its the turbo Mike......? Could it not be turbo sensor cos there is a big difference in the price......lol

Sorry mate, it isn't the sensor and it isn't necessarily the bearing. I had the same 'police siren' type whistling on my 2006MY sportback and a smoke test showed no leak. The sensor does not whistle ! The cure was a recon turbo fitted for £695 in Jan 2011.

My car had done 75k