AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

New S3... creaking doors

Hey guys,

as the title states my S3 which I've had since Jan this year has started creaking. The noise is coming from the upper door area and it stops when I put the window down slightly. It started on the passenger door after the first time I washed it but now the drivers door does it too. I have done a few searches and found I am not the only owner to get this noise. It seems it's the door seals and there have been a number of fixes from Audi lubes, updated seals and door adjustments. Lubes only last a couple of weeks so no good, my car is a MY12 so surely it has the newest seals, so that leaves door adjustments.

Does anyone else on here suffer from this and have suffered and fixed this in the past? I will take it to Audi once I have a bit more info so they don't just try and fob me off with lube.

Cheers in advance!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Get a bottle of Gummi Pfledge, it sorted it out my creaking/rubbing seals a treat and lasts ages

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cloughy View Post
    Get a bottle of Gummi Pfledge, it sorted it out my creaking/rubbing seals a treat and lasts ages
    Cheers Cloughy. Do you apply it to the door seals and window seals? We shouldn't really have to be applying anything to the seals in the first place IMO.

All the gear.. No idea

Status
    I might have to give this a try too.. Mine seems ok on the road, but on the bumpy private bit that leads to my house it's ******* annoying! Such a minor thing tho- you should hear the noises my mates brand new astra makes going over the same terrain
    Red is the colour..

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiffi View Post
    Cheers Cloughy. Do you apply it to the door seals and window seals? We shouldn't really have to be applying anything to the seals in the first place IMO.
    Yep, door seals and window seals, I think it's the window ones that cause the rubbing as it didn't do it when I had the window slightly down, I just got the GP everywhere I thought it might rub and its got rid of the noise

Your right we shouldn't have to do it though

SiT
    Neutral

Status
    Had this on mine and bought some black crayons to rub against the rubber window seals, works a treat and only had to 'touch them up' every year or so, very cheap and effective.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SiT View Post
    Had this on mine and bought some black crayons to rub against the rubber window seals, works a treat and only had to 'touch them up' every year or so, very cheap and effective.
    Hey SiT, thats interesting. What is it the crayons are doing to the seals? I don't get how that would fix it! But I am willing to give it a try!!

S3 (8P)

Status
    Check the doors arent dropping too.
    My previous 3 dr had this problem and it wore the door seals to a hole!
    Doesn`t take much, but they were replaced under warranty so not a huge issue.
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    Check the doors arent dropping too.
    My previous 3 dr had this problem and it wore the door seals to a hole!
    Doesn`t take much, but they were replaced under warranty so not a huge issue.
    I take it the only way to check this is to check all the gaps are even? I'm pretty sure they are but I will check.

5th Gear

Status
    Iv had this issue, i bought dupont krytox which audi and VW sell but its very expensive. I kept putting grease on the inner felt seals etc to no avail and the main door runner seals.

The noise however was coming from where the inner top felt of the door above the window touches against the body. I apply gummi fledge more often than the krytox but i use the spray gummi fledge across the top felt with the door open.

I then also spray a mist on the actual paintwork where the door closes against at the top, This stops the noise for atleast a few weeks, Using the krytox helps and makes the noise stay away for alot longer like atleast 2-3 months. Give it a try on the top seals and let me know if it resolves it. If your confused on location let me know and ill take a pic
    2008 A3 1.8TFSI 3 Door S Line - Lava Grey - Bose - Bluetooth - S Line Full Black Leather - Aux - Comfort Pack - Coming Home Lights - Storage Pack - Cruise Control - Ambient Interior Light - Footwell Lights - Audi IPhone 4 Cradle - Leather Armrest - BE Rear - MY09 Rear Lights - S3 Pedals - S3 Vents - BBS RS866 - Bi Xenons - Bluefin Stage 1 - K&N 57S Intake - Rev D Valve - Powerflex Dogbone Insert & Gear Box Mount

S3 (8P)

Status
    I take it the only way to check this is to check all the gaps are even? I'm pretty sure they are but I will check.
    Gaps looked ok-ish but the seal new the door catch went shabby and worn.
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

SiT
    Neutral

Status
    Hey SiT, thats interesting. What is it the crayons are doing to the seals? I don't get how that would fix it! But I am willing to give it a try!!
    Magic..!!

I guess like anything with wax, it creates less friction, in this case between the window glass and the rubber liner. I noticed it after washing the car, noticeably squelches in the window area and if you dropped the windows slightly the noise disappeared. I read moons ago that the seals dry out so i bought some crayons and waxed the feck out of the linings around the door tops and it solved it for me. Cheap fix, and most dark colour’s will suffice :-)

HTHs

5th Gear

Status
    as SiT says that also is another solution, The waxy like crayons will stick to the felt so the friction noise against the panel will not make that ANNOYING sound.
    2008 A3 1.8TFSI 3 Door S Line - Lava Grey - Bose - Bluetooth - S Line Full Black Leather - Aux - Comfort Pack - Coming Home Lights - Storage Pack - Cruise Control - Ambient Interior Light - Footwell Lights - Audi IPhone 4 Cradle - Leather Armrest - BE Rear - MY09 Rear Lights - S3 Pedals - S3 Vents - BBS RS866 - Bi Xenons - Bluefin Stage 1 - K&N 57S Intake - Rev D Valve - Powerflex Dogbone Insert & Gear Box Mount

1st Gear

Status
    Crayon it is then. I tried AG rubber care but that lasted all of a day. Mind you, I did wash the car today. I'll get a crayon tomorrow. Failing that I will take it back to Audi and try and blag a bottle of dupont krytox by complaining my ass off haha.

SiT
    Neutral

Status
    Its a cheap thing to try and it worked for me. Thought about trying Audi too but couldn't be arsed with the hassle to be honest.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SiT View Post
    Its a cheap thing to try and it worked for me. Thought about trying Audi too but couldn't be arsed with the hassle to be honest.
    Any chance of a pic showing thebest place to put the crayon? I plan on buying one today! Cheers for your help guys.

1st Gear

Status
    Had this issue on my A3 and now on the S as well. My solution, which seemed to last a few months, was to give all visible rubber around the doors and the window seal felt a good helping of Megiuars Gold Class Trim Detailer (MeguiarsDirect.com: Gold Class Trim Detailer 10 oz.)

It's greasy consistency and long lasting properties seem to work well. Just helped a mate apply some to his Leon Cupra as he had the same noise.

Current: 2010 Audi S3 Sportback S-tronic
    Ex: 2007 Audi A3 Sportback - 2.0T DSG
    Ex: 2008 Opel Corsa OPC
    Ex: 2004 Opel Corsa Lite
    Ex: 1978 VW Beetle