Fitting MFSW on CC car: Steering wheel control unit replacement required?

Qua3ttro

Reaction score
I've been doing some reading on replacing a non-MFSW with a MFSW and, to my knowledge, the other parts required (beside the actual MFSW and the airbag if it can't be reused) are the slipring and the steering wheel control unit (and possibly a wiring loom). But, I read this in threads where the cars in question don't already have cruise control. I was wondering: if you do have cruise control, does that mean you won't have to exchange the control unit?

Incorrect.

Most of the time, regardless of if you have CC, youll need a new ECU, rev E or F and prefixed with 8P0.

If your A3 is 2006+ then you dont need a slipring, your current one will be fine.

Ok now that's interesting!

Now, I don't have a car yet (looking out for one at the moment) and I spotted a nice one - but without the MFSW, so I'm figuring out how much work and cost is involved in fitting a MFSW. However, my requirements for the car are quattro & DSG, so you're saying with a DSG (with the flappy paddles) the correct slipring, control unit and wring loom are in place already? (the car is 09/2005 btw)

but it has buttons, who can withstand that!?

I know what you mean, but it is a seriously disappointing bit of kit... it's more like a uni-function wheel :w00t:

What else do you want it do to? Oil slick out the back and paintballs from the front? wheel spikes etc?

Volume goes up...it goes down.... phone scrolls up the phone book....it scrolls down......are you after tetris on the DIS display?!

Nowt wrong with it......perfectly acceptable piece of kit :)

Reactions: TheDriver
lol, well since you asked:

Source selection and scroll through radio preselects would be good starts! :happy:

pretty sure I can scroll through my radio stations on my RNS-E? source selection I suppose would be the only button it could do with

Well for reasons I've yet to find out, the later edition cars don't seem to scroll through the presets (at least not with Concert head unit). Daft.

Well for reasons I've yet to find out, the later edition cars don't seem to scroll through the presets (at least not with Concert head unit). Daft.

ah think my old 09 plate did this actually. it had the concert unit in it. it is pretty foolish. how often do you want to change the station manually. not very... and if you did want to change the station like that, you'd use the actual head unit.

plus if you turn a corner and accidentally catch the roller, boom you have white noise cracklin at ya!

Yeah it's a real basic miss by whoever set it up... I'm wondering if it is defined by the head unit though rather than the wheel... I don't know how easy it is to swap the Concert for A.N.Other Audi head...

Yeah it's a real basic miss by whoever set it up... I'm wondering if it is defined by the head unit though rather than the wheel... I don't know how easy it is to swap the Concert for A.N.Other Audi head...

i think if your year is right its pretty much plug in and play, perhaps a bit of VCDS coding so something in it doesn't drain the battery? Bose means changing a pin i think? However i don't know for sure. Plenty of threads on it though! :) I don't think it's massively hard. the hard part is affording the RNS-E ! ;)

I'd love an RNS-e but with my car being under warranty (and my general lack of experience hacking cars to pieces!) I don't want to risk screwing something up...

lol, well since you asked:

Source selection and scroll through radio preselects would be good starts! :happy:

My 2006 SB with standard Concert II and retro-fitted mfsw scrolls through pre-sets and/or changes cd tracks depending on the which media you are using. Also ups and downs volume.

I think it changed sometime after then mike, I've seen other people comment on it on other forums too.. a really weird change to make...

Ok now that's interesting!

Now, I don't have a car yet (looking out for one at the moment) and I spotted a nice one - but without the MFSW, so I'm figuring out how much work and cost is involved in fitting a MFSW. However, my requirements for the car are quattro & DSG, so you're saying with a DSG (with the flappy paddles) the correct slipring, control unit and wring loom are in place already? (the car is 09/2005 btw)

Correct. The DSG has the paddles which utilise the Highline ECU and MFSW Loom, which is also what is used for the MFSW. It cost me a total of £110 to upgrade to MFSW which was purely the cost of the Steering Wheel ;)

Correct. The DSG has the paddles which utilise the Highline ECU and MFSW Loom, which is also what is used for the MFSW. It cost me a total of £110 to upgrade to MFSW which was purely the cost of the Steering Wheel ;)

Thanks mate, that's good to have confirmed!

I'd love an RNS-e but with my car being under warranty (and my general lack of experience hacking cars to pieces!) I don't want to risk screwing something up...

Wont affect the warranty whatsoever, only they wont warranty your new head unit thats all.