EM TuningChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

audi a3 2.0 tdi bkd coolant leak

hi all
    ive recently posted a topic regarding the excessive amount of coolant ive been loosing
    ive had the head tested which came back to apprently be ok and had all the head gasket replaced while it was apart the mechanic mentioned there was water in two of the cylinders. i think this will explain it not wanting to turn over the morning after using it.
    after all this the problem is still there its still doing the exact same thing.

whats the chances of the block being damaged ?
    i think the company that have meant to have checked the head havent checked it properly or not atall.

i will explain what it does you can leave it running the ages and the coolant level will not drop it only seems to drop when you drive it there is loads of white smoke coming out the exhaust which is a sign.
    the cooling system is not being pressurised its flowing as it should do normally.

if anyones has any suggestiong that would be great

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Classic case of a porous cylinder block/head.
    When the car is left unused, the pressurised coolant makes its way in to the cylinders, thus the smoke, poor starting and no obvious signs of a leak.

Fossie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLapou View Post
    Classic case of a porous cylinder block/head.
    When the car is left unused, the pressurised coolant makes its way in to the cylinders, thus the smoke, poor starting and no obvious signs of a leak.
    Correct ! The only reliable cure is to replace the cylinder head. The problem was a manufacturing fault on the early heads (2003/4) which caused the head to be porous and allow coolant into the cylinders. Audi never accepted this as a fault but changed the head manufacture in later models.

You could try pouring a bottle of K-seal ( about £7 ) into the coolant top-up bottle to see if that helps.

Reverse Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Matt_Storm on Facebook
    Had a mate with same problem he ended up changing the whole engine because long term damage was caused he got a doner 2006 tdi bkd. I think the only difference was the sump had to be put on to the newer engine from the old.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post
    Correct ! The only reliable cure is to replace the cylinder head. The problem was a manufacturing fault on the early heads (2003/4) which caused the head to be porous and allow coolant into the cylinders. Audi never accepted this as a fault but changed the head manufacture in later models.

You could try pouring a bottle of K-seal ( about £7 ) into the coolant top-up bottle to see if that helps.
    Hi mate I don't really want to put k seal in there as its already had it. I've noticed the water has not been getting into the cylinders since the head gaskets been changed as it starts up straight away in the morning now. It won't leak if u leave it running it will only leak if you drive it tho. Any suggestions ? Block ? Egr valve I'm not to sure myself as I'm not that familiar with these engines. Itsleaking internal aswell as there no signs of a leak .

Fossie

Status
    Only cure is a new (reconditioned) cylinder head but make sure it has suffix 'B' after the number. Yours is almost certainly 'A'.

Nothing to do with EGR valve

Hope you get it sorted.

Neutral

Status
    Only cure is a new (reconditioned) cylinder head but make sure it has suffix 'B' after the number. Yours is almost certainly 'A'.

Nothing to do with EGR valve

Hope you get it sorted.
    Hi mate ,
    My head is the B type. cant it be anything else other then the head then as its not hard to start at all now and theres no more signs of any white smoke since the head gaskets been changed ?

im just trying to eliminate the easier things before its going to have to get stripped again if there is anything.

Much appreciated
    Thanks

Neutral

Status

Fossie

Status
    I'm not aware of anything else that could cause coolant loss internally.

Sorry !

Neutral

Status
    I'm not aware of anything else that could cause coolant loss internally.

Sorry !
    ok mate
    thanks for your help i guess im going to have to order a new head then.

Cheers

Fossie

Status
    Don't buy new, look for reconditioned from reputable place with warranty.

New from Audi will be thick end of two grand !!!!

Check forum member 'devonmikeyboy' to see if he can help

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    If your only loosing water when driving and there is no white smoke loosen the water reservoir cap so there is no pressure build up in the system. If the car stops loosing water it`s because there is a pressure build up in the system forcing the water out of the expansion over flow pipe. If the head has already had K Seal in it then that might have stopped the leak but blocked one or several engine coolant channels ( engine would probably run hot if used for a long journey or driven hard ) or the hole is small enough not to let enough water through when turned off but when the pressure ( which is very high ) is built up in the head that is enough to blow the water back out the system. Just an idea as seen both thing happen before. If either of the above your in the screwed and need a new head.
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by devonmikeyboy View Post
    If your only loosing water when driving and there is no white smoke loosen the water reservoir cap so there is no pressure build up in the system. If the car stops loosing water it`s because there is a pressure build up in the system forcing the water out of the expansion over flow pipe. If the head has already had K Seal in it then that might have stopped the leak but blocked one or several engine coolant channels ( engine would probably run hot if used for a long journey or driven hard ) or the hole is small enough not to let enough water through when turned off but when the pressure ( which is very high ) is built up in the head that is enough to blow the water back out the system. Just an idea as seen both thing happen before. If either of the above your in the screwed and need a new head.
    Hi mate

Thanks for the help ill explain basically what its been doing the last few days as ive been driving it around.

i brought the car about 6 weeks ago and found out there was k seal in the system so i changed the coolant by removing the bottom rad hose and after i removed the hose it was still leaking coolant for a few days and then it started smoking bad out the exhaust which lead to the car not starting the following morning.

so i got it booked in at a garage and they took all the head off sent the head away to get tested and supposedly came back all ok so got it skimmed and rebuilt it with fresh gaskets and cam belt and water pump kit.

since i got the car back its still loosing coolant but its starting straight up in the morning and there no white smoke no more. if i leave the car running for an hour or so it wont loose a drop the radiator fans all are ok and working, but if i drive it for a few mintutes the level will drop quite alot and if i release the cap on the tank the coolant level comes back up to the upper mark then the coolant just disappears leaving the tank very low or empty.

Not to sure what the issue is as it as theres no signs of anything.

Thanks for your help.

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    Sounds like a build up of pressure in the system for some reason which is probably pushing the water out the one way over flow system. When you take the cap off this releases the pressure build up causing the water to blow back up into the reservoir before flowing back down into the coolant system. What`s causing this could be what i have mentioned above but is only a guess at best.
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by devonmikeyboy View Post
    Sounds like a build up of pressure in the system for some reason which is probably pushing the water out the one way over flow system. When you take the cap off this releases the pressure build up causing the water to blow back up into the reservoir before flowing back down into the coolant system. What`s causing this could be what i have mentioned above but is only a guess at best.
    Where is best to get a new head? Surely if I get a recon there's more chance of it cracking again? My head has cracked and I need to get one ordered up ASAP but I don't know who from?