DSG PROBLEMS ????

delannison

Reaction score
Website
n
HI, I have been observing these forums for a couple of months but never posted.....until now....very good posts etc....very very helpful
Anyhoo just picked me new motor today....2.0T FSI SLINE DSG.....ummmnnn beautiful...I love it !! but there may be problem...noooooo...
When driving with DSG in sport mode on motorway at 70mph, about every 30secs or so the gearbox keeps jumping from 6th to 4th and sometimes from 6th to 5th with no intervention from me !!!!!, i would understand if i was doing 30 or 40 in sixth and it changing but 70 ?????, not good me thinks.... has somebody had this or heard about this wee fault ???\helppppppp ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

[ QUOTE ]
HI, I have been observing these forums for a couple of months but never posted.....until now....very good posts etc....very very helpful
Anyhoo just picked me new motor today....2.0T FSI SLINE DSG.....ummmnnn beautiful...I love it !! but there may be problem...noooooo...
When driving with DSG in sport mode on motorway at 70mph, about every 30secs or so the gearbox keeps jumping from 6th to 4th and sometimes from 6th to 5th with no intervention from me !!!!!, i would understand if i was doing 30 or 40 in sixth and it changing but 70 ?????, not good me thinks.... has somebody had this or heard about this wee fault ???\helppppppp ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd guess it's every time you start going up an hill, or inadvertantly give it a little more gas. If going up an hill on a steady throttle the DSG sensors extra load and drops a cog to keep in the power band. Sport mode is pretty manic at times.

I'm sure its fine. It will be USER Error with you new engine and your LEAD foot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

heheheheheh

Most of the probs and the DSG box have been sorted now apparently. Get audi to have a look to be sure but it will be you giving it rice all the time

Dave

I should probably take off my size 20 flipper.... ha ha !!, may be that's the problem !!!, seriously though...just cruising at 70 no hill to speak of etc, and every 20 or 30 secs if just jump down 2 gears into 4th and is revving at about 4500 to 5000 rms....and it just keeps doing it ???? you honestly could not drive like this... very 20secs having to wait for it drop down only to have to go up 2 gears to stop engine revving too high !!! crazzzzyyyy !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Also can somebody please tell me how to spell !!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

You maybe right then, I don't have DSG so I couldn't confirm.

However it does seem vey strange as you say it, Book it in as it's better being safe thn sorry with one of those boxes messing up later on in life.

Dave

haven't had that problem, although the 3.2 doesnm't take any notice of hills... I'd expect it to maybe be on the border of each gear change, and flicking inbetween. what revs is it changing at? not sure why you're 'cruising' in S mode either

That will be it then " S Mode holding the lower gears at the slightest change of your fott or a hill "

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Is changing down from 6th at about 3K rpm !, i never test drove a dsg box so am i doing something really really stupid ????, help !!!!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Is changing down from 6th at about 3K rpm !, i never test drove a dsg box so am i doing something really really stupid ????, help !!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that sounds about right. My TDI in sport mode on a light throttle will change down at about 2400rpm, so your petrol motor will do the same a little higher. As I said S mode is mental and not for 'cruising'

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Cheers Japper, I think I haven't got a scooby do about this DSG box yet !!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I find 'S' mode so 'fussy' I simply ignore it.

'D' for the missus.
Manual for me.

Del,forgive me if I seem pedantic with my next statement,but my dealer didn't tell me and I found this out from this forum !

You do know manual mode is accessed by going to 'D' and then moving the stick over to the left (the +/- will then light up) ?

I couldn't understand why,when using the paddles,it kept defaulting back to 'D' mode all the time.

I can't believe the dealer spent half an hour telling me how to use wipers and headlights and not how to use the DSG properly....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ha ha ha !!!!, I didn't know about the Manual mode until early this morning when I read the manual.......DOH !!!, nobody explained this to me bowfer !!!, stupid isn't it !!!, now I figure that you aren't supposed to use Sport mode when 'cruising' on the motorway....... I thought you could only use the paddles in sport mode......... and ****** of the year award goes tooooo.......Del......

I think the ******(s) of the year award(s) should go to the respective dealerships that didn't tell us when we collected our cars Del...

I wonder how many DSG owners are running around thinking 'D' and 'S' are the only modes available...

Del: not good for your running in phase!!!

I test drove 3 DSG's at 3 dealerships, at each one they asked if I was familiar with the box before i took the vehicle.
On my first drive i said 'no' (although i had read about all the modes) and he said he wasn't allowed to let me take it without instruction. He drove me twice round the block first and explained every mode in detail (even demo'd the launch control on a 3.2).

In Sport the revs are always ketp above 3000 rpm ish , so ive noticed

so if you are crusing on a motors way at about 3000, and the revs drop, it will knock down.

I dont use sport on a motorway, simply because of this knock down.

its great round the city and B road blast though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif