ABS, ESP, Steering Lights - Lights galore!

glad you got to the bottom of this headache , bit of a random one that lol

Cheers fran, i was worried you were going to shout at me for not cleaning the engine bay LOL.

Farhan, if you get a pink Aygo, we all want pics, lol.

I sure will - After i throw it off a cliff edge better scenery and all that. LOL

ALSO UPDATE UPDATE:

Please see photo of what Audi-Assist guy discovered....Looks like they were waiting for the cooker to turn on to warm things up!! Just to note two rats ran out from under the engine bay he also mentioned the deceased would still be present as obviously they cant run.

a6ac8ffc.jpg

Nuggets and Fishfingers :arco:

Last edited:
Nice litle stash of food there. Lol.

and here's me thinking it wast the east end of london that was full of rats! Kinda missed this thread until now but an interesting twist. Glad its now on road to repair.

So, today i went to get the courtesy car and the garage collected my car - Apparently the inital diagnosis is going to be done by feltham coachworks. The gentleman who collected the car said the power steering wont be related to the rat biting it but they will have a look. He said "the power steering has fluid"

At this very point i thought....This is a losing battle but i will call them tomorrow to make sure they know what they are doing.

On the plus side i didnt get an aygo i was given a nice new polo

the crap part is...its a 1.2 legless 3 cylinder with 60bhp and 80lbft of torque...my bicycle with no wheels is quicker.

Oh dear, doesnt sound like a promising company to diagnose it at all, electric rack with fluid, urm yeah ok fella jog on, I would of said.

So, today i went to get the courtesy car and the garage collected my car - Apparently the inital diagnosis is going to be done by feltham coachworks. The gentleman who collected the car said the power steering wont be related to the rat biting it but they will have a look. He said "the power steering has fluid"

At this very point i thought....This is a losing battle but i will call them tomorrow to make sure they know what they are doing.

On the plus side i didnt get an aygo i was given a nice new polo

the crap part is...its a 1.2 legless 3 cylinder with 60bhp and 80lbft of torque...my bicycle with no wheels is quicker.

Hey Farhan, glad things are moving with the repairs, shame no pink Aygo though.

Oh dear, doesnt sound like a promising company to diagnose it at all, electric rack with fluid, urm yeah ok fella jog on, I would of said.

Indeed, im going to insist it just goes to audi. I think these guys will do the dirty work of ensuring the rats are gone LOL. The guy who mentioned that was only a driver for the company though so should be ok. They are VW approved aswell however so lets hope all goes well. Should get some details from them tomorrow in regards to whats happening.

Hey Farhan, glad things are moving with the repairs, shame no pink Aygo though.

Cheers Sandra, Shame on the pink aygo they had a black 107 there i opted for the polo...Little did i know the 107 may have been a bit quicker to say the least.

glad it's been diagnosed, have that same problem in the area i work in.
infact it was only yesterday we had a 320CDI merc in with chewed through fuel pipes

Well an update cars arrived at west london audi yesterday

Had a call today.

Car is absolutely fine no problems found at all, however your rear brake pads need attention they are 95% worn. Audi come on seriously jobs been forwarded to you guys have you even plugged it into VCDS yet?

Naturally the insurance company has said if they could further investigate it as feltham coachworks saw the problems, along with the accesor and also the RAC man.

OMFL, thats to be blunt effing ridiculous, well if they fail to understand basic fault analysis, PM me :)

OMG, i have yet to come across a Audi garage where i am fully satisfied with their service and hence would not be surprised with that response Farhan. Their service is awful and useless, especially when you know what the fault is and tell them to fix it and they reply but theres nothing wrong with it.

I had this issue when i was losing power and told them to upgrade the diverter valve whilst it was in for cambelt change. Firstly the guy sitting in service department had never heard of a diverter valve nor did one of there engineers. lol In the end i provided them the part number and told them to change it as i will be paying for it!! lol

Hope you perservere Farhan and get it sorted and on the road soon.

Still can't believe it mate. A rat!!

I reckon it's still got something to do with your remap though. The rat must've heard you talking about having a bluefin and thought it was this.........

315-0721230850-bluefin-tuna.jpg

OMG. absolutely epic post! Ad you are one of the funniest guys i know. really! sick man:laugh:

Jesus. Typical Audi.

When my High Pressure Fuel Sensor went I had to do like BlueSpark said and give them the part number and tell them to change that as per info I got from Ross-Tech Wiki and problem solved.

I did hear of one guy with an intermittent problem who told Audi to test drive his car until the problem came up. One of the master techs at the Audi dealer started using the car as his daily for a few days or something until the fault appeared and then he diagnosed and repaired.

Thanks guys, will carry on pushing them to look at it, Only reason im going through them for the moment is the insurance company if the job is to big.

If they can fault find and allocate the problem as insurance company will push them to resolve it quickly being an insurance job. Ill then decide whether i want to go through with the claim. Nigel will keep u posted on this for the moment im just going to make use of the courtesy car LOL :)

could you actually see the chewed wiring?

could you actually see the chewed wiring?

nope nothing at all, i inspected the grounding which nigel advised me to do. I didnt see anything chewed or hacked into my self.

This is a nightmare as the VCDS scan just shows to many issues...Unless someone can understand elsa and see where all the faults relate to and which wiring loom could be the one which is the issue. That could take some time however

Update again

Had a call today from audi over the weekend they kept the car and a tech was driving it throughout the weekend to bring up the faults again. Odd to say this but i was hoping the errors came back so they can carry on searching for the problem. Luckily they did and audi are going to investigate the matter further.

I had another call later in the afternoon to say that they need to investigate further as the looms they have checked they cannot see any problems but they are certain the faults are nearer the exhaust manifold areas. They are now going to remove the manifold and look at replacing the wiring looms if need be. If they can repair it they will if not they may need the car longer to order the looms in.

The bad news is i have to return the courtesy car tomorrow so i will be without a car....Great timing i was insured on my sisters car but the differential decided to pack up on friday!

Well yesterday i was feeling pretty happy. Had a call they removed the manifold and managed to repair the wiring. They did find wiring which was damaged by the rats and they fixed it. I was advised they had been chewing on the wiring for the oil sensor aswell and at the actual sensors connection so they would be replacing the oil sensor which was fine.

All was done yesterday and i was told the bill would be 580
78 for inspection
312 for removal and refitting the manifold(S)
the remainder was for the labour cost and repair of the wiring.

I thought fine no problem...However they wanted to keep the car to test overnight and today...You guessed it seems the other faults are fixed they say but the powersteering light is on again!

They are now advising that maybe the power steering was not a fault caused by the rats....He mentioned on the phone it may have been an underlying fault which has progressively just got worse.

What would you guys suggest if i have to replace the steering rack? My cars an 08 and i understand there are 3 generations of steering racks. My car is out of warranty but do you think i have any reasonable grounds to try and get the rack replaced under warranty??

Given its an 08, you will definitely have a path for a goodwill mate as they give this on 5-6 yr old cars with gearbox/turbo issues, I know that from experience.

Racks are stacked upoto the ceiling in audi's warehouse because they're synonymous for going wrong on the 8P, I once checked with my guys & they said there were 200+ racks on shelf at audi, that is unheard of for a replacement/new part trust me, which tells me its constantly being replaced & thats not because its an upgraded part beneficial to us modders either lol.

You would get a gen 3 rack if not fitted already & possibly new loom, they're not cheap either, if they wont give goodwill then let me know rack price & part as there are some differences & I'll see if I can find cheaper, no promises but I'll try.

Also, rats get everywhere, I'd make sure its not got into a loom somewhere else tbh as seems very coincidental dont you think.

I also have a used rack laying around which works perfectly iirc, plus maybe removing mine for a mod I'm working on, so that maybe available.

Last edited:
Thanks Nigel, im going to ring them and ask them to search further and also mention a good will on the steering rack. If they are being difficult about it im going to take the car back and ill contact you about buying the steering rack.

Defo coincedental as all the faults came on in sequence after the faults had recycled powersteering would be the initlal fault that would come up first followed by the esp etc.

I do remember that when reversing the car out of spaces there was a slight knock which was related to the power steering but inever thought to much of it as it was never loud enough to worry about and i read loads of threads about the same issue.

received a call back - so far very happy with audi being really good at keeping me informed of the whole situation....I swear this thread cant go on any longer.

They inspected further regarding the power steering.....Yes you guessed it rats have been chewing the powersteering looms aswell!

As I advised, too coincidental, although that knock noise on turn lock is a well known issue that only gets resolved by replacement.

defo, mine was very minor so im not going to bother lets hope audi are just kind and replace it free of charge for the hell of it LOOOL.

Seeing as they are half way there

they just called again and said they have repaired the wiring and the steering is receiving all signals but the steering sensor is still messed up.

They are calling audi head office to see if the sensor alone can be replaced or if its a new rack?? Again all going to cost me but they are adamant that the fault is with that sensor regardless of the wiring which they say they have fixed.

Nige, can the sensor be purchased seperate from the rack or is it built in?

Depends on what sensor you're referring to fella, there's an internal sensor in rack yes, they can replace & wtf are they doing ringing audi when elsawin shows them how to effing do it ***!!!!

he vaguely mentioned steering rack sensor, I understand theres a G85 sensor to somewhere.

I dont understand em either....They just call give me good news...then drop me more bad news constantly. This is taking ages aswell its hitting 3 weeks from monday now.

G85 sensor is in the column not the rack on an 08 non facelift car, so what are they on about.

called again, WATER CORROSION on the terminal. they are going to try and clean if not they have to replace the rack....

Obviously im totally confused i have never seen the steering rack but it just seems like problem after problem here. Is it possible for water to damage any terminals on the rack?!?

Just caught up on this thread. Its still going on?!?!

Water corrosion??? If it really is water corrosion causing the problem and you need a new rack then I would still be blaming the rats. Tell them that the rats must have p*ssed all over it and caused the corrosion!!

Is it me or are they going through there book of faults to make the time seem worthwhile lol.

Water in the connectors can make things read wrong, but simple hairdryer/heatgun usually resolves this, now of course it could of shorted across the internal sensors, but atm still not sure what is wrong as they just say shows a fault, what fault, logs??

****** hell Farhan, so sorry for you, this just doesn't seem to be going away.

As per Nige's comments I would want fully qualified evidence of the faults before I was prepared to spend any money as unless you can be certain they're bang on with their assumptions you could go round replacing all sorts before they nail it.

Fingers crossed for you mate, best of luck.

Been speaking to Steve who has honestly been very helpful. Prompt with calling back and keeping me posted so no complaints at all.
They have tried a few things and iv now agreed to just let the insurance company pay out as he confirmed that we have to replace the rack as trying to clean the terminals and stuff did not work.

From what he explained this is a problem caused by the rats, By them creating holes in the loom seals its allowed water to get in and corrode the terminals and sensors. He also confirmed that it is not a faulty rack which was on its way out but genuinely all of it was caused by rodent damage.

Nothings going to be done on the weekend now but monday hopefully they should get approval to change the rack over so all should be fine.

I was quoted 1380 for supply and fit of the rack and all things related to the power steering. Bill for the removal of manifolds and repair to a loom worked out 580. Considering how much work has been done at the courtesy car costs which was 140.

Its just making sense now to pay the insurance company and take the hit (We have protected no claims) Lets hope they pay out now eh.

Well glad to say we are rolling again. Received the car back today after lots of huffing and puffing west london audi managed to repair everything which i am very pleased about.

I want to specifically thank Steve Hearn (Workshop manager at West London Audi) The guy is epic he kept me informed the whole time and was very helpful. I admit some other technicians there drove me nuts with the conflicting information but steve stayed back most days possibly over time to sit and talk me through what was happening (Even on his day off he passed me updates)

I would certainly recommend if you ever have work carried out at west london audi...See that guy.

The following work was carried out, Repair to nearly all the harnesses near the firewall area
Repair to power steering wiring
Oil Level Sensor Replace (FOR FREE...YES FOR FREE as insurance was being a nightmare and audi needed to eliminate the cause of the light they just replaced it out of good will)

Oil level sensor wiring replaced
Power steering rack replaced (Generation 2 - they said they could not fit a gen 3 in but a brand new Gen 2 has been fitted and they are offering warranty for 2 years on the unit)
My engine bay wiring also has a warranty for the work carried out which i am pretty happy about.

West london audi have been good i cant really fault them, I was a bit annoyed at some people there for example today...I called up to collect the car after being informed by the workshop manager at lunchtime its mechanically sound and i can collect it.

At 4pm i get a phone call from a technician saying car will be ready tomorrow ....Errr i asked WHY? he said mechanically its fine we just want to wash it.

Alarm bells started ringing i was like you want to keep my car for one more day so you can wash it? I said no thank you he was adamant to have it washed. I didnt want it washed because they swirl the cars up nicely. (EVIDENCE TO FOLLOW)

so right got the car all happy no problems steering feels lovely, gears feel tighter no more errors and im 600 quid lighter with a nasty claim on my insurance.

Lesson - If your s_it is playing up...And you dont know what to do...LOOK FOR RATS.
on the plus note iv been busy as soon as the car arrived back i threw on my intake :)
d71de897.jpg

Evidence of the swirl inflicted unregistered brand new audi TT inside the main showroom....Shocking
286ad5ab.jpg

Hi Farhan, glad you got the car back at last.

Glad to hear it got sorted and you got your car back Farhan. Well done on perservering to get it sorted.

Damn those rats were hungry, glad its fixed, enjoy driving again now :)