Headlight Upgrade....

Ports

Reaction score
Hi All,
Can someone please tell me whether S3 BI XENON OEM HEADLIGHTS would fit a 2004 a3??

Regards
Adam

You would also need a new bumper and possibly bonnet depending on what year lights you were fitting. All parts available from Audi but, having read many threads on the subject on this forum, it is not a job for the faint hearted and requires electrical expertise, coding with VCDS on completion and a fair amount of money.

Can I suggest you do a search on the forum for 'OEM Xenons' or similar and send a PM to a guy called NHN on here who has carried out all sorts of conversions.

You will be looking at in excess of £1000 I believe !

Hi All,
Can someone please tell me whether S3 BI XENON OEM HEADLIGHTS would fit a 2004 a3??

Regards
Adam

to answer your question directly, yes it will fit but you will need to use those cables. you may need to change over your CE module as it might not be the correct version to accept bi-xenon so thats extra work.

as mike says for it to pass the upcoming MOTs it will need washers and levellers but that does not mean it wont work without it. i'm not quiet sure why mike says no to the original question... its all good he is advising the legal issue but the headlights can fit your car.

You would also need a new bumper and possibly bonnet depending on what year lights you were fitting. All parts available from Audi but, having read many threads on the subject on this forum, it is not a job for the faint hearted and requires electrical expertise, coding with VCDS on completion and a fair amount of money.

Can I suggest you do a search on the forum for 'OEM Xenons' or similar and send a PM to a guy called NHN on here who has carried out all sorts of conversions.

You will be looking at in excess of £1000 I believe !

Mike the OEM S3 xenons will fit his car with no need of change to bumpers. even the split grill bumper can take headlight washers.

only the facelift xenons with LEDS will need a new front end.

to answer your question directly, yes it will fit but you will need to use those cables. you may need to change over your CE module as it might not be the correct version to accept bi-xenon so thats extra work.

as mike says for it to pass the upcoming MOTs it will need washers and levellers but that does not mean it wont work without it. i'm not quiet sure why mike says no to the original question... its all good he is advising the legal issue but the headlights can fit your car.

I should have said ' yes, but it will be illegal from 1st Jan 2012 without washers and auto-levellers ' Sorry !!!

thanks ash so its not simply a plug and play job then really? just that i wanted to upgrade as ive seen that you have done it and running HID's am i correct in saying? what exactly do you mean by ce module as im a nebiw at all of this. ive just seen a set being sold cheaply local to me.....

Mike the OEM S3 xenons will fit his car with no need of change to bumpers. even the split grill bumper can take headlight washers.

only the facelift xenons with LEDS will need a new front end.

Again Ash, I stand corrected ! I just assumed that someone would not wish to do a DIY job on cutting holes in bumpers for the washers !

yes your right i have done it. let me make a couple things clear first...

i have oem washers on the car, part of a winter pack or something so for me doing the xenon upgrade is ok.

i am also in the process of retrofitting the auto levelling pack but doing it slowly as i have plenty of time to do it. i just passed my MOT with the Xenons in there and not had any issues with it.

the CE module is Central Electrics module that tells everything in the car how to behave if you like. now since the bi-xenon headlight came out around 2006 the module that supports it was also available from around that time, that being said there are some earlier cars that had the functionality built into the car which can only be checked if you had the car scanned with VCDS.

My car is originally an 05 plate sportback (late 2005) but it already had the CE module i needed for bi-xenon. so that saved me loads of money and time as well. i think i already had it as i have a fairly well specced A3.

the wires you posted above just changes over the standard 10 pin connector on the back of your current headlights to the 14 pin connector needed for the bi-xenon headlights. you do need to run the extra wires that come from that adapter to the CE module and plug in the pins. finally you will need to code the car in to tell it that it has the xenons.

at the time i bought my bi-xenons i actually had no plans on fitting it... a very good deal came up and i found it so i snapped it up and then did the research after. worse case is that the bi-xenons are not for you and you just sell the lights on for your money back or even a profit.

Again Ash, I stand corrected ! I just assumed that someone would not wish to do a DIY job on cutting holes in bumpers for the washers !

LOL thats exactly what i had to do as my car had sport bumpers and i did the S-line upgrade but couldnt find a s-line front that had the holes, so i got my trusty bodyshop to do the work for me and you cannot tell that the holes were even cut at all :)

Original
DSCN1996.jpg

s-line front end
BroVckgBmkKGrHqUH-EUEvGGKKUBL0fBIuF.jpg

wholes cut and bumper rubbed down:
DSCN2009.jpg

DSCN2008.jpg

fitted:
DSCN2022.jpg

DSCN2018.jpg

with the bi-xenon:
5378d609.jpg

it cost me about £400 for front and rear bumper paint, rear parking sensors paint, front bumper cut for holes, and complete taking off original front (including the piping for the washers) and rear and replacing them with the new front and rear including the FK grill and the fog grills. not a bad price all in all

does bi-xenons mean your headlights go both ways !!!

are you seriously asking this? ok so if you are then no. the bi-xenons are basically one xenon bulb that does both a low beam and the high beam flash with use of a shutter. its perfect to blind someone or when driving down blacked out country lanes

You would also need a new bumper and possibly bonnet depending on what year lights you were fitting. All parts available from Audi but, having read many threads on the subject on this forum, it is not a job for the faint hearted and requires electrical expertise, coding with VCDS on completion and a fair amount of money.Can I suggest you do a search on the forum for 'OEM Xenons' or similar and send a PM to a guy called NHN on here who has carried out all sorts of conversions.You will be looking at in excess of £1000 I believe !
wow, that means I must have electrical expertise :) there is a bit of wiring that needs done for sure!

he casts and winds in a fat one lol
are you seriously asking this? ok so if you are then no. the bi-xenons are basically one xenon bulb that does both a low beam and the high beam flash with use of a shutter. its perfect to blind someone or when driving down blacked out country lanes

so for the sake of being able to run HID's its not really worth it? lol thanks for your help though guys.

Its crap having the most basic of cars lol

so for the sake of being able to run HID's its not really worth it? lol thanks for your help though guys.

Its crap having the most basic of cars lol

i wouldnt say that, i have the hids and i love them! its not that hard to install and if you do want it all done for you there are a few of us here that can do it/provide you with the help needed.

its one of the best mods i have done by far (along with the auto lights and rain sensor pack)