Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Whats your thoughts on tints

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Abb View Post
    Just a point worth mentioning and clearing up a few inconsistencies on this thread. Tinting the front passenger side/drivers side windows, and obviously the front windscreen is COMPLETELY ILLEGAL REGARDLESS OF ANY SORT OF %. Some cars come with a factory tint on these, but they are normally just a greenish/blue tinge rather than a grey/black tint. Traffic police cars carry a light measuring device which allows them to determine how much your tint allows natural light filter through, if it fails the roadside test, they have a number of options available to them in regards tohow they deal with the matter, from removing it there and then, to reporting you for summons!
    tis true!
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Interior Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line, Front & Rear Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

2. # ADS
    ADS

I accept that a lot of people like the tints or privacy glass on the rear windows of their cars but personally I think it makes the car look like a very expensive VAN.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

3rd Gear

Status
    Well I dont think they look that bad, but tbh any new car I buy from now will have privacy glass, for 2 reasons, people canot see too easy what is in the back,,,, but most of all Police cannot see what you are doing in there either from behind. , not that I condone anything you should not be doing, but no one is perfect

6th Gear

Status
    Cant remember the % on my tints but got the back done and front. As the other said the fronts are illegal but im not bothered. Had them since 2009 only once have they said something to me and that was just because the ar$£h0l£ couldnt book me with anything else. Depending on what angle your looking at and how much light is getting in my car you can see through or cant. These two photos show the difference. Fran & a few other members have said if im behide them they cant see who driving or anything in the car.
    But most of the time they do like look the bottom photo

Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

MPG the new BPH

Status
    hi guys tint wizards will do mine from B pillar back for £140 he thinks in the pic i have posted its 15% dose that sound correct? and is the B pillar the two rear doors ?

2009 (58) plate audi A3 Sline 2.0TDI, DRL's with washers, Half Leather / Alcantara, I Pod Aux, 15% tints / EM tuning L.E.D. interior upgrade, fully machine corrected!

3rd Gear

Status
    15-20% would be about right, b pillar backward would be 2 rear doors and the hatch

MPG the new BPH

Status
    sweeet not too dark then? ill get some pics up monday

2009 (58) plate audi A3 Sline 2.0TDI, DRL's with washers, Half Leather / Alcantara, I Pod Aux, 15% tints / EM tuning L.E.D. interior upgrade, fully machine corrected!

On a journey...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    This, I hate tinted windows without the fronts done. Its now illegal, I had mine taken off 2 years ago, and car looks much cleaner without.
    Another vote for the "if you have to do it, then keep it light and do it all round" school of thinking.

The main thing that put me off Black Edition cars was the much darker rear windows. It was quite difficult to find an S3 without them when I was looking for mine!
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic (2010) - Brilliant Red
    Technology Pack (RNSE 2, Bluetooth, 6-CD stack), BOSE, roof rails, 2 child seats and 310bhp

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Your a good bristol lad Ben

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks all for your input
    I went for 50% on the rear 3 windows costing me £125 and im well chuffed with the results
    Will post pics once the sun is out!

5th Gear

Status
    Ash, there's a bloke near me who bought his old works van, a black Vauxhall and it looks exactly like the pic of your A3!

MPG the new BPH

Status
    this is mine pics from monday 15% on the back more pics on a separate thread.

Reverse Gear

Status
    alrite peepz, need help
    i got a 2010 a3 5 dr grey and need the windows tinted any ideas...??????

6th Gear

Status

Audi A3 2.0L TDI S-Line Sportback

Audi A3

Status
    Can anyone post up a pic with there limo black tints please as im getting mine done on the weekend but not to sure if limo black will be shiney?
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI - S3 Intercooler - Darkside Developments Hard Pipe Boost Kit - EGR Delete - Milltek Non-Res Decat Exhaust System - Performance -Torque Custom Remap 187BHP + 335lb/ft

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

Limo on the rears and then no tints on front window would look too odd, you shouldn't do limo on the rears anyway as its too dark.
    If you are not doing fronts then go slightly lighter on rear
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line, Front & Rear Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme187 View Post
    Limo on the rears and then no tints on front window would look too odd
    If you are not doing fronts then go slightly lighter on rear
    That's why i tinted the front windows slightly on my SB, factory tinted rears and nothing on the front looked odd to me.

Audi A3 2.0L TDI S-Line Sportback

5th Gear

Status
    OEM tint is amazing much better finish than any aftermarket due to thickness and you get glass fully covered by the tint. My 2ps worth
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Is it me or are tinted windows just modifications from the 90s?

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

its just you
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift,

1st Gear

Status
    I like big, but firm ones.

Oops, sorry misread the thread title
    Last edited by box500; 23rd January 2012 at 14:43.
    MartayMcFly likes this.

6th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow MartayMcFly On Twitter Visit MartayMcFly's Youtube Channel Visit MartayMcFly's Instagram Channel
    There's a bit of inconsistency in people's claimed figures here, I assume due to not everyone knowing that tints are measured in % of transmitted light (ie how much light gets through the window). The legal limit is 70% on the front, so if you have more than a 30% tint the police have every right to stop you and issue a penalty/order you to have them removed. I've heard of them just ripping tints off at the roadside, but pretty sure that amounts to criminal damage so probably isn't a common occurance.

As for my opinion, tints look good on almost any car but too dark can look ott on the rears and can be dangerous on the fronts. Only people in UAE need to tint their windscreen. I've got factory "privacy glass" so don't know the numbers, but it's only slightly on the front and quite dark on the rears (though might be the black paint making it appear darker).
    Hunt is over

1st Audi - 2001 Ming Blue 8L S3 210
    2nd Audi - 2008 Black 8P2 S3 3dr
    and now - 2007 Daytona Grey B7 RS4 saloon

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme187 View Post
    its just you

1st Gear

Status
    A VERY subtle tint makes sense in regard to keeping the interior cool, but deeper tints are all about trying to make a car something it is not.
    Looks silly if front windows remain untinted and the car is an ordinary Ford Focus size type saloon irrespective of the badge.
    For many the look is a bit thugish, and a bit Essex as per those stretched Gypsy Wedding / Chav. Hen Party type limo's.
    Leave tints for the Mercedes and Rollers that deluded air headed celebrities, Royals Twits, and Superior Sheiks pose around in.

Status
    I need a light tint on the front of me bread van as its too strong on the back and not enough on the front. Going to get the tinyest bit of tint, as the front looks green and the back looks black and I want the fronts very slightly greyed.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12