S3 overfueling / running rich Help please

swatchuk

Reaction score
Hi Guys, i'm in need of any advice or sugestions as to what may cause this. Basically my 07 plate S3 is running rich.The car has done 32000 miles, it had a remap on it which apparently was a rubbish one and dont know were from, Ive had it flashed back to standard. All the plugs keep going black and i have hesatation at higher revs at full throttle. If i clean the plugs up and put them back in the problem seems to go away until they get crapped up again. No fault codes found
Ive read something somwere about fuel pump problems?? Can anyone shed some light on this please??
Thanks in advance
Mark

I doubt it's the oxy sensor or map sensor since you have passed diagnostics, could clean the injectors and check the cond of the air filter?

Just an update on this, changed the coils, plugs, theres now a twintake on it, so the air filters good, coolant temp sensor has been changed, and the problem is still there. Hesatation all the time from 4000rpm ish. its so annoying and i cant work it out.
Any other sugestions guys??
Thanks. Mark

In the same boat Mark.
My feeling is with mine its a total cut out, momentary but total...vibrates through the floor as it misses, its not a single pot so unlikely to be coils or plugs. took the Revo off today and it was fine on a test run of 20 miles then just took it 2 miles to the local shop and its farting about again under load at 3krpm ish. Least i now know its not the map as its running std now. seems totally random which makes it imposable to demo to the Audi techs unless i am very lucky. I look at you and MG and Cheese and several others all trying to sort this out and it reminds me of my 3.2 where a dozen of us tried to sort out its problems because Audi couldn't or wouldn't except there was anything wrong. Right now i am thinking of selling it. Just dont need this crap again for another 3 years.

Makes you laugh doesn't it. Engine of the year 2 years running and until I put a catch can and a full TBE on the car I was having similar issues. Some plugs were only lasting 8k, and as my car was a very early model I thought I had a Friday afternooner.

Subsequently 08 cars were fitted with wrong valve springs and had hesitations, and with Paddys car there is clear evidence that despite rolling this engine out in Golf/Scirocco/Leon R, nothing has been learned by VAG.

Other things to consider may be RS4 fuel regulator or CAI as air intake is very important, but ensure CAI has MAF pipe with 67mm diameter to ensure it mirrors VAG scaling.

I have ordered a set of Iridium plugs for a start !! Is there anything Amazon are not cheapest at ?..lol £5.98 each. the girl at the local garage is going to show me how the SPS works in the morning....shes 18....

I have been working with and tuning engines for 30 years and i need an 18 year old girl to show me how an sps works ...:)

Haha. Oh to be shown something by an 18 year old girl again. Sorry Paddy. Lucky you. I put iridiums in mine and it hasnt helped the problem. Dont know if you read my other post yet, but i went out before with the maf unplugged and it seemed alot better. Im going to run it like that tomorrow and see how i get on. Hopefully one of us will get to the bottom of this soon, because the garages seem useless. If the maf doesnt do it im my next step was the fuel regulator. I might go and buy a propper car soon, or get my rover back, sure the head gasket went a few times, but i was pretty good at it by the time i sold it. LOL.

Paddy, I was going to chastise you for not being at Audi Driver International, but given your options I can see why you'll be in the garage. Good man, that's the spirit!

If your MAF option doesn't work, try doing Jonny C's PCV bypass mod to make sure that's not causing problems either. Is your idle solid at tick over, or does it waiver about a bit?

Yeah the idle speed stays at 760rpm. It did have the very occasional missfire when you watch the cylinders firing on vcds, but i have read somewere that this is quite common on this engine?? That pcv mod looks interesting and makes sence. Might have a look into that

My tick over is superb. rock steady and a gradual increase of revs through the range to 6k at stand still is dead smooth. It seems to go to pot under a load. agiin this would point to a plug blowing out under compression but it seems to me to be more than one cylinder.

Mark,it baffles me as to why you are having so many probs with my old car ? It was faultless when i had it and if anything once you were used to the initial turbo lag and the boost came in over 3500rpm it would pull like a train all the way up to the max with no hesitation or misfire ? I've been watching your posts with interest and curiosity because it was my old motor and i can only assume that something has happened since i part ex'd it - its either the garage have altered something when it was serviced (as no doubt they told you that they did service it !) or yourself with VCDS ?
Normally i would'nt bother posting with regards to this issue BUT the car run perfectly until the day it went so i am interested to what has happened ?

A.T.B Leo

One thing i have noticed is when it was mapped the sort of "fart" noise ( induction/waste gate ??) it makes when you change gear was getting louder and louder recently......if that means anything to anyone ?

One thing i have noticed is when it was mapped the sort of "fart" noise ( induction/waste gate ??) it makes when you change gear was getting louder and louder recently......if that means anything to anyone ?

Increased boost in the system the DV/ waste gate are working harder??? Boost is about 16psi from memory at OEM, so remapped must be 20-21psi. With over 30% more boost going through the system it will make quite a bit more tune!

What's your mod list Paddy? just. Revo?

Yea completely stock + revo 1. Was hoping to keep it that way for the warranty ..Is it likely the DV is blowing out on its own accord because often the misfire is as it changes gear. Obviously with DSG it should be seamless but sometimes it will run smooth up to the change then fart about for a second or two after the change as it takes up power again..

Last edited:
hi guys i have a problem with my 1.8 turbo i have just put porformance plus in and k and n oil filter. Them i put tesco 99 % octane fuel and it just died and would take ages turning it over to start is it running to rich its had a stage1 remap1? Any ides to help me cheers