Debadging

jag625

Reaction score
Hi Guys first post so sorry if its in the wrong place.

I've got a 2008 Black A3 1.6 s-line. I've toyed with the idea of having the RS4 alloys sprayed anthracite but gone off that now due to cost etc...

Anyway, on the back is the `A3' badge and '1.6'. The car is coming up to 3 years old but I'd quite like these taken off. Does anyone have any experience of this? I'm worried it will ruin the paint behind. I'm planning on having this done by a garage by the way.

Thanks

image.tiff

Last edited:
Why bother? Bit like shaving your legs really!

Sorry, think i've deleted my first post. I'm not gonna lie, its partly because 1.6 ruins the look (probably stupid on my part) !! Also I've seen others that look good without them.

I like the idea of de-badging as I have no wish to reveal aspects or information about my private life or possessions.. It's nobody else's business what model of car I have or what the engine size is, or whether it's a T for **** or Turbo, much less whether I am 16, 18 or 20 or flicking V's 6 times. Am also aware that sad insecure twits like to add number badges that do not relate to their car or sadder still for example stick an M badge on a poverty spec. Council BMW. Worse are those for whom having a big number badge is an ego trip.

So...........off came the A3 badge and off came the 2.0 badge and whatever TFSIABCDi rubbish was glued to the boot panel. Left the pretty circles though. May also remove the side mounted S-Line badges as well.

If I had a base 1.6 then the badge would most certainly be binned - much more fun to leave others guessing than to give them a reason to sneer.

I've left mine badged pretty much for the fact that the newer 140 2.0TDIs have single exhaust and I dont want it to look like a 1.6. (no offence intended to any 1.6 owners)

Use some floss to take the badge off.
Pick off the big bits of sticking foam with your fingers
hand polish the area to take the glue off.
done!

there is some really good solution called sticky stuff remover. used it on my gti to debadge

Tardis usually does the job of getting the residue off :)

I have debadged numerous cars now and i always do it the same way.. as said above use something to carefully pry them off and then pick off the big bits of glue, Then best thing i have found to use is autoglym tar and glue remover.. spread a fair amount of that on the glue and leave for a few minutes to soak in and then rub the glue off with a soft cloth.
Then its just a case of a quick wash of the area to get rid of the T&G remover then polish up.
Should come up nice and clean considering it is only 3 years old.

I've always used a hairdryer to heat up the glue then put floss underneath the lettering to pry it away finishing with tar remover. On topic though I personally prefer a debadged rear, makes the back end look much cleaner in my opinion.

What did you do in the end to get the badges off? i also want to do this to mine without making a mess

I'm leaving my current cars badges at the moment but on my previous car i used fishing line to remove the badges to preserve the paint behind and then used WD40 to remove the glue residue.
It works a treat.

Last edited:
Each car i've had has been debadged, personally think it looks cleaner. My new A3 SB was spec'd without the model & engine but i'm not sure whether to leave the rings. Hadn't thought of removing the tiny S-Line badges off the sides but as it's a black edition I think these will be falling off in the morning. The car is white so will look super clean.

Just watching the R8 build on Megafactories Nat Geo +1

Go to your friendly craft shop and buy a tin of sticky label glue remover. Carefully prise off badge (do not use screwdriver just your fingers and nails ), be careful not to scratch paintwork with edges opf badge as you do this. Spray glue remover onto residual sticky pad that held badge and allow a few minutes to soak, then wipe off with your fingers DO NOT WIPE WITH A DRY CLOTH otherwise you will microscratch paintwork. You may have to apply more than one dose of glue remover. You will be left with a clean panel and just maybe the slight outline of the badge very very slightly engraved into the surface of the paintwork. Wax and polish and the job done.
Like others who have posted I have done this many many times without any damage to the paintwork at all.
On a personal taste note. If you are going to de-badge consider carefully about replacing them with one of those awful racing circuit stickers - the Nurburgring one the worse, as seen on every council estate Astra Merit 1.0. SO Chav. and ultra-naff.

i use a hairdryer,heat the badge up and gently start moving it,the hotter it get the more easy it is to peel off

If you are going to de-badge consider carefully about replacing them with one of those awful racing circuit stickers - the Nurburgring one the worse, as seen on every council estate Astra Merit 1.0. SO Chav. and ultra-naff.

whats wrong with mine then?