Winter Tyres / Dropping a wheel size?

RS84

R15 - TDI Power
Reaction score
Have been looking at putting winter tyres on my Sportback Sport, running standard 17" Sport wheels.

Was thinking would I be better off trying to get some 16" SE wheels or steels even for the winter tyres?

Could I go as small as 15" and clear the brakes?

On the standard sport suspension would the clearance under the car be greatly effected by reducing the wheel size by 1 or 2 inches?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

15" would be fine over your brakes, 16" would be better though.

Dropping the wheel size doesn't matter one bit to the ride height of the car, the rolling radius of the wheel will be the same as you will be fitting a deeper profile tyre.

I have an S-line Quattro and use a set of 16" Steels from about November to Feb/March.

15" would be fine over your brakes, 16" would be better though.

Dropping the wheel size doesn't matter one bit to the ride height of the car, the rolling radius of the wheel will be the same as you will be fitting a deeper profile tyre.

I have an S-line Quattro and use a set of 16" Steels from about November to Feb/March.

Thanks for that.

What width are the steels?

Is it worth going much narrower?

The steels are 6J.

My mate uses the same wheels on his Octavia VRS and has no issues also.

Make sure you buy "Extra Load" tyres, it all tends to get a bit squirmy if you don't. I run a Falken HS439, he used Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's. Both perform very well, they have to as we both work out in the ar*e end of nowhere.

Yep, it's more significant the taller the tyre gets, as the side walls tend to flex more when pushed. Could just be my drive it like you stole it style of driving though.

Winter sport 3ds are amazing wet or dry.

I am fairly confident I'll be using them all year round on my stock alloys. Actually looking to consider winter sport 4ds.

My tyre shop offers a storage facility for my summer tyres, so if I were so inclined I could just swap them twice a year.

I actually only bought the audi int he first place to save me bothering with buying and swapping winter tyres on my other car. Have a feeling the audi will be my main car in no time!