Monster MotorsportBadger5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Neutral

Status

RNS-E mk1 vs mk2 ?

Am currently debating getting the RNS-E retrofitted but am curious to the actual differences between the older and newer RNS-E units.

I know the screen is higher quality, the unit has SDHC support and a faster processor but does anyone have any pictures of the screen quality between the mk1 and mk2 units?

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Pictures arnt the best buddy go to your nearest audi dealer and have a play with both of them Then you can see yourself whats the difference haha

Selling MY11 rear lights, message me for a price

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    I think i depends on your budget and what you want to do. If you just want to follow a map then Mk1 is fine, if you want 2x32mb SD cards and watch TV then a MK2 is a must. Really down to looking at both because only you can decide and i doubt pictures on here would really convey the different screen res TBH.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    If you can afford it, MK2 unit every day of the week, screen alone makes it worthwhile for nav lol, but the 32GB sdhc is good aswell, 64gb of tunes is a hell of allot & would never run out of tunes.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

5th Gear

Status
    What are we talking pennies wise for a Mk2?
    A4 S-Line. Mods so far; Cruise, DIS, Mk2 RNS-e, Audi 6 CD changer, XcarLink with self manufactured permanent ipod dock, B8 MFSW, Dectane Dayline Headlights with independantly switched DRL's, RS4 Rear ARB, De-badged, RS4 pedals, HIDS, RS4 front grille and RS4 style fog surrounds, LCR splitter in Satin Black, Rear Park Assist, LED gearknob, Red footwell lighting, Kitchen sink and Shower cubicle.

1st Gear

Status
    Anywhere from about £500-£600 off eBay ( from Lithuania, fitting and coding yourself ) to I believe around £2,500 if you walk into an Audi garage !!

I paid £800 for a factory refurbished unit, fully supplied and fitted in Bradford. Seems to have the latest maps ( ie some fairly new roads are on it ).
    2010 S3 Sportback, MY11, S-tronic, Sprint Blue - gone
    2010 A3 TDi 170 quattro, Black Edition, Phantom Black

Interior Next!!

Status
    i need to get me one of these new Mk2 flashy units... Mk1's are prehistoric.. Its so slow, Basic, sh1t resolution, cant see Ipod tracks, take 5 minutes to load routes, and tells you to to things like "turn SLIGHTLY left off the roundabout"

basically, if you are considering upgrading to RNSe make sure its a Mk2!!!!!!!
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon

Status
    rye there is on mk2 black surround on ebay for £400 pick up only will get the link just now

AUSmotive.com

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    If you can afford it, MK2 unit every day of the week, screen alone makes it worthwhile for nav lol, but the 32GB sdhc is good aswell, 64gb of tunes is a hell of allot & would never run out of tunes.
    Agreed. The screen res is much, much nicer. I didn't think too much of it at first, but comparing my screen to an older unit makes the decision easy IMO.

As noted photos aren't the best, but here's a couple I have stored away...

AUSmotive.com // AUSringers.com

AUDI: MY10 S3 (8P3) / Nav+AMI / Sunroof / Blackout Grille / RS6 FBMFSW / PSS10s / Milltek TBE / APR HPFP / APR Stage 2+ tune

ern
    Neutral

Status
    Did i read someone say theres TV on it?! Is this built into the Sat Nav aerial?

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaks View Post
    Anywhere from about £500-£600 off eBay ( from Lithuania, fitting and coding yourself ) to I believe around £2,500 if you walk into an Audi garage !!

I paid £800 for a factory refurbished unit, fully supplied and fitted in Bradford. Seems to have the latest maps ( ie some fairly new roads are on it ).
    Pop out the DVD and it will tell you what year the maps are.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3RYE View Post
    Mk1's are prehistoric.. Its so slow, Basic, sh1t resolution, cant see Ipod tracks!
    Remember you'll need an AMI retrofit to see iPod tracks!
    2006 A3 3.2 DSG
    Quattro S-Line
    Phantom black pearl
    V Maxx plus coilovers
    Speedlines- anthricite
    MY11 rear lights
    MK2 TT Vents
    Various LED's
    MK2 RNSE
    LaminX on fogs

For Sale Genuine Audi phone cradle (iPhone 4S/4)

Interior Next!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wez3570 View Post
    Remember you'll need an AMI retrofit to see iPod tracks!
    I'll do whatever it takes. I'll speak to Nigel
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3RYE View Post
    I'll do whatever it takes. I'll speak to Nigel
    I wanted it done also, but £700-£800+ to see iPod tracks?

Can't justify it myself. I'll stick with SD cards thank you. Lol
    2006 A3 3.2 DSG
    Quattro S-Line
    Phantom black pearl
    V Maxx plus coilovers
    Speedlines- anthricite
    MY11 rear lights
    MK2 TT Vents
    Various LED's
    MK2 RNSE
    LaminX on fogs

1st Gear

Status
    does anyone know if the black piano surround is purely a cosmetic change or means a more up to date spec?

And will any Rns e with a media button be much better than a Mk1?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paultaylor View Post
    does anyone know if the black piano surround is purely a cosmetic change or means a more up to date spec?

And will any Rns e with a media button be much better than a Mk1?
    RNS-E MKII (with media button) is much better than MK1. I know as I upgraded from MKI to MKII myself.

As far as I know, the piano black surround is purely cosmetic.
    WANTED: S3 Side Skirts (3DR)

A3 S Line DSG TDi 140 (56) | Lava Grey | Groove & Drilled Discs | Green Stuff Pads | Eibach Sportline Springs | Eibach Spacers | Full heated leather | RNS-E 2010 MK2 | Rear Parking Sensors | Interior Light Pack | Heated Mirrors

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Cosmetic

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wez3570 View Post
    I wanted it done also, but £700-£800+ to see iPod tracks?

Can't justify it myself. I'll stick with SD cards thank you. Lol
    I've heard there is an Alpine unit that allows you to use your iPod with your RNS-E?

Alpine�-�iPod Interface�-�KCE-425i
    "If you ain't first, you're last!" - Ricky Bobby

2008 A3 S-line 2.0 TDI PD140 (Pre-facelift)

3rd Gear

Status
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...id=28409917804

Ouch! i've had various iPod docks in my cars over the years but I actually prefer the SDHC cards, I find them quicker than the iPod when changing tracks

My friend has mmi in his golf mk6 with rns-500, he said his stereo/ipod takes a while to catch up when he changes track

Giac Extreme+!! Lovin it

Status
    Does anybody find on there mk2 rnse that when you use the steering wheel controls to change tracks there is a long delay in the screen changing tracks?? The actual song changes instantly just the screen doesnt change instantly!!
    07 Suzuka Grey S3, Giac Extreme plus map, Autotech HPFP, VF Engineering CAI, 18" black rims,factory tints,fbmfsw,Mk 2 RNS-E,CH-LH lights.puddle lights,Bose,Shark fin, Lamin x lights & Fogs.Full TBE miltek, 09 White DIS,Buckets,LED conversion,TPMS.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yes also found this, think its also down to the sd card in use tbh.

2nd Gear

Status
    I'm thinking of doing this.. Just a couple of questions - Is it basically plug and play? Why is coding needed?
    Picked up on the 30th May!

2013 '13' Plate - Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S Line Roadster | Ibis White | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather/Suede with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim

Gone but won't be forgotten! 2011 '11' Plate - Audi A3 1.4 TFSI S Line | Ibis White | Privacy Glass | iPod Dock | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim | S3 Pedals

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Coding is always advisable as it may be a blank canvas as such & thus it wont shut down with ignition & certain features may not work.

Giac Extreme+!! Lovin it

Status
    I bought class 10 SD cards too thinking that would speed things up!!
    07 Suzuka Grey S3, Giac Extreme plus map, Autotech HPFP, VF Engineering CAI, 18" black rims,factory tints,fbmfsw,Mk 2 RNS-E,CH-LH lights.puddle lights,Bose,Shark fin, Lamin x lights & Fogs.Full TBE miltek, 09 White DIS,Buckets,LED conversion,TPMS.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Is it running 0150 or 0200 FW mate?

2nd Gear

Status
    Coding is always advisable as it may be a blank canvas as such & thus it wont shut down with ignition & certain features may not work.
    Thank you for your reply! Oh ok I understand, so it's basically when the ignition is turned off the unit stays on? Would the RNSE turn off after an hour too or?

Does coding void warrenty?
    Picked up on the 30th May!

2013 '13' Plate - Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S Line Roadster | Ibis White | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather/Suede with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim

Gone but won't be forgotten! 2011 '11' Plate - Audi A3 1.4 TFSI S Line | Ibis White | Privacy Glass | iPod Dock | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim | S3 Pedals

Giac Extreme+!! Lovin it

Status
    Is it running 0150 or 0200 FW mate?
    0200 mate.

1st Gear

Status
    Can iTunes library mp3 files be put on the SD cards and then they come up on the display and have an iTunes "look"?

3rd Gear

Status
    I was very fortunate that my RNS-E didn't need any coding and was plug and play, best thing I've ever bought for my car! glad I went OEM

3rd Gear

Status
    Can iTunes library mp3 files be put on the SD cards and then they come up on the display and have an iTunes "look"?
    No unfortunately not, well not straight away. iTunes is stored in a different format (AAC) however you can convert iTunes AAC into MP3 which you can then use on the SD card

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cloughy View Post
    No unfortunately not, well not straight away. iTunes is stored in a different format (AAC) however you can convert iTunes AAC into MP3 which you can then use on the SD card
    all my iTunes is mp3 or m4v haven't used AAC in years so when I finally get a Rns E I can just drag files to album folders on the SD cards.

Does anyone play mp4 or video files off SD cards? tv in motion would have to be disabled I'd imagine

Neutral

Status
    Is there a certain type of sd card you need. I think I was reading somewhere that the sdhc don't work. Sorry If I've quoted that wrong. I'm looking to get an sd card for mine. Where's the best place to get one?

3rd Gear

Status
    all my iTunes is mp3 or m4v haven't used AAC in years so when I finally get a Rns E I can just drag files to album folders on the SD cards.

Does anyone play mp4 or video files off SD cards? tv in motion would have to be disabled I'd imagine
    Actually having looked most if not all my iTunes is mp4, I'll have a go at sticking it on the SDHC card and see if it works

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny-Smith View Post
    Is there a certain type of sd card you need. I think I was reading somewhere that the sdhc don't work. Sorry If I've quoted that wrong. I'm looking to get an sd card for mine. Where's the best place to get one?
    MK1 RNS-E has 2 x 2gb slots the latest unit supports 2 x 32gb SDHC

If you have a MK2 unit go for SDHC, they are much quicker

Best places to go are mymemory.co.uk or play.com, class 10 cards are very quick

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    MP3 only.

5th Gear

Status
    Actually having looked most if not all my iTunes is mp4, I'll have a go at sticking it on the SDHC card and see if it works
    As nige has just said, you'll have to convert the itunes mp4's to mp3. But you're not alone mate lol, I bought two 16gig cards, loaded all my itunes stuff on and wondered why my RNS-e said no recognised files (or words to that effect). Was only when I plugged the card back into my computers card reader that it dawned on me.
    A4 S-Line. Mods so far; Cruise, DIS, Mk2 RNS-e, Audi 6 CD changer, XcarLink with self manufactured permanent ipod dock, B8 MFSW, Dectane Dayline Headlights with independantly switched DRL's, RS4 Rear ARB, De-badged, RS4 pedals, HIDS, RS4 front grille and RS4 style fog surrounds, LCR splitter in Satin Black, Rear Park Assist, LED gearknob, Red footwell lighting, Kitchen sink and Shower cubicle.

3rd Gear

Status
    cheers fellas, saves me mucking around with mp4!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wesley View Post
    Does anybody find on there mk2 rnse that when you use the steering wheel controls to change tracks there is a long delay in the screen changing tracks?? The actual song changes instantly just the screen doesnt change instantly!!
    Slightly different for me. I've found that sometimes it takes a good few seconds (up to 10) to change songs. I've skipped songs unintentionally as I've thought that the scroll wheel movement hasn't registered so I've had another go. If I use the selector on the unit however, its instant. Bit annoying but I'll live with it.

4th Gear

Status
    MK1 RNS-E has 2 x 2gb slots the latest unit supports 2 x 32gb SDHC

If you have a MK2 unit go for SDHC, they are much quicker

Best places to go are mymemory.co.uk or play.com, class 10 cards are very quick
    Mk1 is 2x 4gb max

RNS-E Compatable 4GB SD Card Non HC | eBay
    2006 A3 3.2 DSG
    Quattro S-Line
    Phantom black pearl
    V Maxx plus coilovers
    Speedlines- anthricite
    MY11 rear lights
    MK2 TT Vents
    Various LED's
    MK2 RNSE
    LaminX on fogs

Reverse Gear

Status
    I was very fortunate that my RNS-E didn't need any coding and was plug and play, best thing I've ever bought for my car! glad I went OEM

Just installed my 2011 RNS-E and it was also pulg&play, no coding or any other problems. Extremely happy with it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast