LED License Plate Fix for MY09+

I saw Pretarian's thread on the other forum and all kudos to him for his successful solution to this problem of no LED number plate lights for 09- A3's. I'm not so confident I'd be able to do this myself, so this morning I ordered the ones above from Ebay.de. Fingers crossed they will work, will report back when I get them fitted.

I saw Pretarian's thread on the other forum and all kudos to him for his successful solution to this problem of no LED number plate lights for 09- A3's. I'm not so confident I'd be able to do this myself, so this morning I ordered the ones above from Ebay.de. Fingers crossed they will work, will report back when I get them fitted.

Please do, i want mine less brighter than the complete housings but im a bit worried about the blowing up from overheating which seems common for just bulbs

any updates on the bulbs PaulieMB?

any updates on the bulbs PaulieMB?

The bulbs showed up this morning from Germany, but I knew the minute I opened the envelope that they weren't going to work :(. Inside was exactly the same box that the last set I bought came in ..and they didn't work either!!!

AudiS3pics167.jpg

It said on the Ebay.de listing that they are suitable for A3/S3 from MY2010, but on the box it says A3/S3 up to MY2009. THESE WILL DEFINITELY NOT WORK!!! It looks like Pretarion's solution is the only way we can have LED number plate lights without any DIS error at the moment. Sorry guys, I thought this may have been what we were looking for, but it seems that thanks to a misleading German Ebay listing, we are no further forward. My dad is very handy with electronics though, so I may get him to have a look at Pretarion's method and do this to mine. :(

The bulbs showed up this morning from Germany, but I knew the minute I opened the envelope that they weren't going to work :(. Inside was exactly the same box that the last set I bought came in ..and they didn't work either!!!

AudiS3pics167.jpg

It said on the Ebay.de listing that they are suitable for A3/S3 from MY2010, but on the box it says A3/S3 up to MY2009. THESE WILL DEFINITELY NOT WORK!!! It looks like Pretarion's solution is the only way we can have LED number plate lights without any DIS error at the moment. Sorry guys, I thought this may have been what we were looking for, but it seems that thanks to a misleading German Ebay listing, we are no further forward. My dad is very handy with electronics though, so I may get him to have a look at Pretarion's method and do this to mine. :(
Thats gutting Paulie, sorry to hear, fudging crauts!

Nah, got them up for sale in the Classified section, Scott :(. Making a habit of selling these things nw, lol! Was going to send them back, but the seller's German, so really CBA'd doing the Google Translate thingy to convey to him how P'd off I am that his listing was at best very misleading and at worst a case of blatant mis-selling, with him stating that they are suitable for 2010 cars. I've ordered a chassis mountable resistor pack and some bulbs like in Pretarion's thread, so I'm gonna let my dad have a go at doing my LED's. He's just put inline resistors on the LED numberplate lights in his own car, so now he can do mine! :)

Nah, got them up for sale in the Classified section, Scott :(. Making a habit of selling these things nw, lol! Was going to send them back, but the seller's German, so really CBA'd doing the Google Translate thingy to convey to him how P'd off I am that his listing was at best very misleading and at worst a case of blatant mis-selling, with him stating that they are suitable for 2010 cars. I've ordered a chassis mountable resistor pack and some bulbs like in Pretarion's thread, so I'm gonna let my dad have a go at doing my LED's. He's just put inline resistors on the LED numberplate lights in his own car, so now he can do mine! :)
Sounds good let me know how you get on :)

Shame was really excited when i saw 2010 instead of the usual 2009 compatibility. Was just about to order some will have to stick with the yellow glow for a bit longer :(

Hi, just to let you all know, i have carried out this modification to my MY11 A3 and can confirm this does work!! Really straight forward job and well worth doing!!

slighly off topic - but from link, never seen the "lights are on" and the wee petrol pump nozzle icon in the facelift DIS before...

Hi, can't seem to get the pictures up, will have a look tomorrow night!!! Really pleased with the results tho..... My A3 MY 2011 comes up with 'lights are on' and the fuel can symbol, however on my A3 MY 2009 it didn't so it must be an improvement they have made.

slighly off topic - but from link, never seen the "lights are on" and the wee petrol pump nozzle icon in the facelift DIS before...
OT:
I got it on my swedish imported A3, but my m8 with a german imported A3 dosent, both are MY10

Seems quite a good mod this :)
Wiring up isn't the bit I'm most scared about, it's the panel on the boot lid! haha

Just out of curiosity, is it all the 2010+ cars that have problems with DIS warnings? With the earlier models it seems that some cars flag warnings up when you fit LED bulbs and some don't. Mine's an '07 and I've just fitted a pair of SMD LED bulbs that haven't got the resistors built in and by rights I should have a warning on the DIS, but they work fine.
I'm just wondering if the newer A3's have the same thing, where some people are lucky and others aren't.

Isn't it possible just to fit normal LED bulbs and then de-activate the cold test on number plate lights using VCDS. I could be totally wrong, but I'm sure I saw number plate lights listed amongst all the other cold-diagnosis options when I was coding my Sportback LED rears. Would this solve it?

One last question - Is the problem wth overheating the light units only with the bulbs with resistors, or is it with any type of LED bulb?

You can disable the cold diagnosis warning but the ecu will still switch off the circuit if it thinks a bulb has gone.

Just out of curiosity, is it all the 2010+ cars that have problems with DIS warnings? With the earlier models it seems that some cars flag warnings up when you fit LED bulbs and some don't. Mine's an '07 and I've just fitted a pair of SMD LED bulbs that haven't got the resistors built in and by rights I should have a warning on the DIS, but they work fine.
I'm just wondering if the newer A3's have the same thing, where some people are lucky and others aren't.

Isn't it possible just to fit normal LED bulbs and then de-activate the cold test on number plate lights using VCDS. I could be totally wrong, but I'm sure I saw number plate lights listed amongst all the other cold-diagnosis options when I was coding my Sportback LED rears. Would this solve it?

One last question - Is the problem wth overheating the light units only with the bulbs with resistors, or is it with any type of LED bulb?

Hi, just to let you all know, i have carried out this modification to my MY11 A3 and can confirm this does work!! Really straight forward job and well worth doing!!

Hi Dave,

Got anymore detail about this? Pics etc? Would like to have a go at it.

Thanks