DSG Vs Manual

The one minor gripe i have with the DSG is when slowly approaching traffic lights or a roundabout in second gear in D mode, sometimes it has a habbit of dropping to first just as you want to accelerate away... most unpleasant lurch as the car screams away!!!

Of course no such problem in manual mode.

If you look at the performance stats for equivalent models.. The s tronic is always faster accelerating, faster top-end and slightly better on fuel so it's a no-brainer if you ask me!? If I bought another s3 I couldn't buy a manual knowing that it's slower! Seems to be deliberately being stubborn and backwards lol... Discuss

Reported 0-60 are also done by test drivers who are better at changing gear in a manual than your average Joe.

DSG or go home IMO.

A common one is "Lazy man's car" but I always reply with "when you want to change channel on the TV, do you get up and press a button on the side of it or do you use the remote" stops them dead in their tracks. :lmfao:

Love that quote lol. Definately going to use that when someone turns their nose up at me as a young bloke who drives an auto...

According to revo's website:

DSG transmission performance software allows you to use the full potential of the engine, giving the control back to the driver. Hold onto the gear through that sweeping corner without the worry of the transmission shifting up and throwing out the balance of the car, have no worries about using full throttle and having the car jump about whilst shifting down for you… get back in full control with Revo DSG software.
Revo DSG software can be run on a standard car and it complements our full Revo Stage 1 ECU software.

I dont quite get this quote from Revo... When I'm driving my DSG in manual mode through a corner, it never shifts up as that's the whole point of me putting it into manual mode. I understand this totally when in auto mode which is why I rarely drive in auto mode when I fancy some spirited driving :)

Can someone correct me if I'm missing something here?

I would change up close to the rev limiter even in manual mode, with the Revo software it would let you bounce off the rev limiter.

Paul

I dont quite get this quote from Revo... When I'm driving my DSG in manual mode through a corner, it never shifts up as that's the whole point of me putting it into manual mode. I understand this totally when in auto mode which is why I rarely drive in auto mode when I fancy some spirited driving :)

Can someone correct me if I'm missing something here?

If you are in manual mode and red line it in say 2nd gear, it automatically shifts up to 3rd doesn't it?
It definitely shifts down it if you go too slow in a gear, in manual mode and auto mode.

If you are in manual mode and red line it in say 2nd gear, it automatically shifts up to 3rd doesn't it?
It definitely shifts down it if you go too slow in a gear, in manual mode and auto mode.

Ah I see what you're saying... dunno though as I've never hit the redline then haha I always change manually just before. I'll try this on the way home tonight then.

Isn't the redline and limiter there for a reason though - why would you want to go past it?

Ah I see what you're saying... dunno though as I've never hit the redline then haha I always change manually just before. I'll try this on the way home tonight then.

Isn't the redline and limiter there for a reason though - why would you want to go past it?

You're not really going to go past it, you're just going to keep in the same gear, rather than having the car change up and throwing you off balance.

You're not really going to go past it, you're just going to keep in the same gear, rather than having the car change up and throwing you off balance.

I see what you're saying now - basically it lets you hold the revs right on the redline without an auto change. Sounds pretty good.

I see what you're saying now - basically it lets you hold the revs right on the redline without an auto change. Sounds pretty good.

Probably good in a petrol but it won't be nice in a diesel. By the time you get anywhere near the red line it will be well out of puff. I even think S mode holds onto the gear a little too long in the diesel.

What's the difference between DSG and S Tronic?

DSG & S-tronic are just each brand's name for dual clutch transmission. But it does not mean they are the same thing. The TT-RS and RS3 has a 7 spd S-tronic that has nothing in common with VW's 7spd DSG. Also, Audi has S-tronic transmissions in the longitude layout that's not available in any VW.

As far as which transmission, what I want in a transmission is to be in the gear I want. Before, the only way was with a stick shift, which is fine, then came slushbox that can be shifted, but that was just 5 step backward, there were automated single clutch which shifted better than a manual, then came the dual clutch that shifted much better than any, thus could put me on any gear faster than any of them, plus you could leave it in D and fagedaboudit.

Reactions: 1inchpunch
DSG & S-tronic are just each brand's name for dual clutch transmission. But it does not mean they are the same thing. The TT-RS and RS3 has a 7 spd S-tronic that has nothing in common with VW's 7spd DSG. Also, Audi has S-tronic transmissions in the longitude layout that's not available in any VW.

As we are talking A3s... as far as A3's are concerned S-tronic and DSG are the same. So as not to confuse anyone.

When I first heard about the two and saw some A3s listed as DSG and some as s-tronic I was unsure if they were the same. I was fed loads of crap about DSG having no paddles and s-tronic having them.... DSG only having 5 gears and s-tronic having 6.
All wrong.

Reactions: 1inchpunch and paddy
Yes i was told DSG was VW and S-tronic was Audi...All rubbish as my Audi was sold as DSG.
The OP was talking A3 so basically no difference. The TTRS box is a totally different thing.

Reactions: 1inchpunch
Useful to know that there are differences across the range. To be honest the question should really have been "would there be any noticeable differences from the drivers seat between DSG and S-tronic" and I guess the answer would be no. Just thought I was missing out on some fancy new features but glad to hear I'm not.

Hi punchy
Some dealers, particularly on the Audi used car search just call DSG\S-Tronic, "auto clutch". DSG is actually a "Direct- shift gearbox", originally licenced from Porsche , Audi changed to calling it S-tronic after about 2004-5 but it remained the same as the DSG box in the VW R32 for example at the time..In similar platforms like Golf/A3 its identical