Are all grills the same shape?

1inchpunch

Reaction score
Hello, only my second post here as just bought a 2006 sportback. I've found and used the search as well as FAQs but can't find the answer to my first (probably of many) stupid questions.

Same as most people on here I'm looking to change the grill for a black job. I like to do things on the cheap so was going to pick up and old one and spray it as this worked well on my e90 BMW. I know the chrome bit can be removed from the grill but are all grills the same size and shape eg will the chrome bit from an SE fit my S-Line grill?

yeah as long as its an A3 one and are pre 2008 they are all the same

Dont buy a S3 one though as they are different.

yep as above pre 2008's are the same and post 2008's all grilles fit inc. the S3's. good luck with the car, SB's are the way to go!!

The best way to do it would be to remove your original grill, spray it matte black, then replace the chrome surround with an original Black optic surround! The idea being you save at over half the costs by not buying the full grill, but you have not had to paint your chrome grill which will eventually flake/crack and never be as good as the original IMO

ps: Mine is the Black Optic option, cost about £160 (with discount lol)

I read on here that you could buy just the black optic surround for about £70. I might give that a try although I doubt it will be straight forward since my local stealer is full of tw*ts.

With previous grills I've found if you take the time to prep the plastic properly with the correct sanding, primers, colour and clear coat it lasts pretty good. Even I have to do it twice during the time I own the car I'll still be like £100 cheaper since I can get a grill for about £10.

Nice car smoothie, mine is red as well. Don't see too many red ones.

Last edited:
Yea thats what i meant, buy the black optic surround if you don't want the cost of the entire grill! But thats not the issue if you decide to paint you existing grill. The standard chrome surround grill you have is charcoal grey plastic, unlike the proper black optics grill which is matte black with a gloss surround!

So as i said the money saving option would certainly be painting the (grey) grill matte black and replacing the chrome surround with a new gloss black one! Get it from stoke audi on here, from experience he is a good guy and will surely provide you with the correct part!

Painting chrome is not a good idea IMO there is always the chance it will degrade, causing more hassle in the long run

4703851222_8aaba00301.jpg

SG1L7749.jpg

yeah as long as its an A3 one and are pre 2008 they are all the same

Dont buy a S3 one though as they are different.

Lee is that the same with the Sportback?
Was looking at getting a FK Black Grill replacement for my 06 Sportback S-Line , and then later doing a S3 Sportback Front Bumper Mod.

The Fk ones are nice... i have the S3 lookalike on mine and it does set it off but you need to watch out on those as the chrome parts eventually seem to rust out a little...

IMG00015-20100802-1333.jpg

itwasntme187; do you now the product code for that grill? It does look very nice, but looking on the FK website some of their grills look really cheap! I found this one; but the black inner part looks really glossy which I think will look rubbish, but maybe it's just the photo and in reality may look like yours?? It's strange as the debadged variant on the FK website looks like yours (matt dark grey) but without the AUDI rings.

FK ABS Sport Grill - fit for Audi A3 (Typ 8P) year 05-08

Last edited:
Hello mate,

i have looked for the details of mine and all i can find is the paypal receipt that says i bought a "FK AUDI A3 8P 05-08 BLACK & CHROME S3 STYLE GRILL" no item number unfortunately... I bought the item from ebay and i have had a quick look for you but i cannot see it there and nor can i see any from the seller that i bought it from. The seller was rudiemods ( eBay My World - rudiemods )
I saw the link you posted but i am not 100% sure that they are the same as mine

Yeah that looks about the same as mine, the picture with it on the car looks about right.

The centre on mine is black but its plastic so it has that slightly dark greyish look sometimes. Getting the S-Line badge on the grill was a slight bit of work but nothing some good glue cant sort out.

Cheers, will probably go with that I think rather than find a 2nd hand S-Line grill as this looks a touch more aggressive without looking too "aftermarket". Don't want an S-Line badge on it so take it there's not a clip for a badge? as this will be fine for me if there's not!

there is a small badge holder attached to the grill but its slightly pushed in and no normal badge fits in properly from what i saw. You can just push it back hard enough and it will snap off clean and you will never be able to tell there was anything there!

Lee is that the same with the Sportback?
Was looking at getting a FK Black Grill replacement for my 06 Sportback S-Line , and then later doing a S3 Sportback Front Bumper Mod.

The 8P2 S3 grille is shorter than the standard and S-Line grilles. Unless you change the bumper the grille will leave a gap in the bottom. FK do an S3-a-like grille for the standard/S-Line bumper I think

All 8P3 grilles are the same size and totally interchangable

The 8P2 S3 grille is shorter than the standard and S-Line grilles. Unless you change the bumper the grille will leave a gap in the bottom. FK do an S3-a-like grille for the standard/S-Line bumper I think

All 8P3 grilles are the same size and totally interchangable

Thanks for the info.
Want to change the bumper ultimately to an S3 8P2, so guess I'll need to hold tight!