Chris NottAH Fabrications
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reverse Gear

Status

Best shine for your money

Hi all,

I slogged away for hours at the weekend in an effort to get a mirror finish on my black A3 but I reckon it could still get even more shiny

What specific wax, creams or lotions is everyone using for that ridiculously shiny showroom look?

Looking for a 17" set of these! Contact me if yours need a new home

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I normally use a hard polish first followed by a brand called poorboys wax. give it a week or 2 and then I top up with AutoGlym Ultra deep shine wax. shine is mental!

5th Gear

Status
    Best to post this in the detailing section. You will get much better advise.

The best way to get the most shine and a mirror finish wont come from products alone. You may need a paint correction followed by a few steps.

Iv used a few polishes but on a black car maybe try a glaze like poorboys black hole as it has filler like additives which can mask some light swirls.
    2008 A3 1.8TFSI 3 Door S Line - Lava Grey - Bose - Bluetooth - S Line Full Black Leather - Aux - Comfort Pack - Coming Home Lights - Storage Pack - Cruise Control - Ambient Interior Light - Footwell Lights - Audi IPhone 4 Cradle - Leather Armrest - BE Rear - MY09 Rear Lights - S3 Pedals - S3 Vents - BBS RS866 - Bi Xenons - Bluefin Stage 1 - K&N 57S Intake - Rev D Valve - Powerflex Dogbone Insert & Gear Box Mount

Neutral

Status
    Did you just wash, polish and wax?

To get it looking its best, I would wash/dry then use a clay bar. then polish and apply 3 layers of wax.

I use Meguiars products (Gold Class or NXT generation).

have a look at CAR CARE | MEGUIAR'S UK

Wonker
    8P A3 2.0 TDi 170 Quattro S Line Sportback

6th Gear

Status
    i'm a TOTAL amateur, but what i do is i wash the car down with Simoniz 3-layer car shampoo, then rinse it, then use Demon Shine, then i use NXT 2.0 to wax it. i'm very happy with the results and it only takes me an hour or two. but that said, i'm a complete amateur
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sub39h View Post
    i'm a TOTAL amateur
    Yep, me too....seems the elbow grease I put in previously is pretty much a half arsed job

I'm going to look into this Poorboys stuff. Seems to a must in the kit

Looking for a 17" set of these! Contact me if yours need a new home

Neutral

Status
    I would recommend the Meguirs Clay and then the 3 stage paint cleaner, polish and wax. Takes a good few hours but well worth it.

The paint feels like glass after the clay bar treatment, I used to use it on my Black Leon and it came up a treat.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by B-J-P View Post
    I would recommend the Meguirs Clay and then the 3 stage paint cleaner, polish and wax. Takes a good few hours but well worth it.

The paint feels like glass after the clay bar treatment, I used to use it on my Black Leon and it came up a treat.
    The Meguiars 3 stage is frickin amazing! Takes ages to get through all 3 though...

1st Gear

Status
    i wash it with fairy liquid, does the job hahaha

Shark in a Goldfishes clothing

Status
    I use Autoglym high definition wax and it brings up a great shine, but I have only ever put one coat on at a time as I'm 'bone' and tend to feel the need to open a can or two while i'm doing it then the beer takes over lol

do those clay bar type things make much difference?

I got a few patches on mine that feel rough even after waxing so I'm looking to spend a bit of detailing time on it when the weather warms up?

Neutral

Status
    Yes they make a huge difference, it pulls off all of the traffic film, dirt and any tree sap that is stuck to the paint. Naturally this will add to the shine as there will be less contaminents on the paint surface. Would recommend it and will be doinig mine on Saturday, I'll get some pics up.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Get it detailed.

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

1st Gear

Status
    i'm a TOTAL amateur, but what i do is i wash the car down with Simoniz 3-layer car shampoo, then rinse it, then use Demon Shine, then i use NXT 2.0 to wax it. i'm very happy with the results and it only takes me an hour or two. but that said, i'm a complete amateur
    Would you not be better putting the demon shine on last?

2009 '09' A3 1.6 Sport, Ibis White, Privacy Glass, Ipod Dock

6th Gear

Status
    nah you're meant to use it to rinse after you've shampooed. it also helps bead the water so it takes less time to dry the car
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

1st Gear

Status
    nah you're meant to use it to rinse after you've shampooed. it also helps bead the water so it takes less time to dry the car
    Yeah its a rinse aid, but works kind of like a quick detailer depending on how thickly you put it on, it leaves a kind of glaze-y oily texture on the surface, and then you're putting wax on top?

6th Gear

Status
    i use it really dilute. i'm not claiming to be an expert but it works for me!

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

1st Gear

Status
    i use it really dilute. i'm not claiming to be an expert but it works for me!
    Ok fair enough, just a thought though, it beads the water off because it leaves like an oil (its not an oil, but you get what I mean) on top of the surface, and then you're banging your wax on top. Personally, Id dry it, then put wax on, and then Demon Shine. Demon Shines mint for the money though.. works brilliantly on a white car

Status
    OOh ok I'm gonna get a clay bar kit, any ideas which is the best one?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Get it detailed.
    How much is a detail with paint correction N8? .Mine has swirls and the metalic pearl is not showing to its full potential .

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock View Post
    I use Bilt Hamber mate.. its good, and you only need water to lubricate it (couldnt type the word lube without laughing...)

No seriously though, they do an Autoglym kit, so you have everything you need, but Ive always used Bilt Hamber.. and everyone seems to rate it, so give it a bash!

she's no d-turbo

Status
    I used the meguiars quik clay kit before and it did the job. Bilt hamber or sonus are meant to be very good too.

Status
    Cheers mate,

I saw an autoglym one in my local car shop so ill give it a butchers.

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    I have some nice eastern Europeans up the station yard do mine for 6... Always looks fine to me .

1st Gear

Status
    Use the BH soft version as it works well in the cooler weather we have at the moment. Best to keep 2 pieces in a jug of warm water and alternate them to keep it nice and soft use plenty of water as a lube then you will get a good result. You will hear the stuff coming off and wait till you feel the silky finish.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    I have some nice eastern Europeans up the station yard do mine for 6... Always looks fine to me .
    LOL is that where about 10 of them come running out from nowhere and then dissapear when the job is done like carwash ninja's?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulTheo View Post
    Use the BH soft version as it works well in the cooler weather we have at the moment. Best to keep 2 pieces in a jug of warm water and alternate them to keep it nice and soft use plenty of water as a lube then you will get a good result. You will hear the stuff coming off and wait till you feel the silky finish.
    How do you apply the water, do i steel a squirty bottle from work and spray it on like you would glass cleaner etc?

Neutral

Status
    How do you apply the water, do i steel a squirty bottle from work and spray it on like you would glass cleaner etc?
    You could buy the quick detailer liquid which I use with the meguirs clay, that works well.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by B-J-P View Post
    You could buy the quick detailer liquid which I use with the meguirs clay, that works well.
    Yeah but BH is designed to work with water... with others you need to use Quick Detailer though.

Yep, just spray it on the panel, then rub the clay bar over the top. Make sure you re-knead the clay bar though, or you will be rubbing the iron particles and stuff back over your car.

There are some videos on youtube you could have a gander at...

events moderator

Status
    Get it detailed.
    + 1 , give your car to one of us pro's to get the ultimate shine it needs to have some degree of paint correction the results speak for them selfs you can spend all day polishing and waxing but if its not a good surface to start with then all your doing is sealing in the contaminents under the wax/polish so it will never be as shiny as it could be as when it gets detailed properly by a pro there are lots of us around just find one in your area but it can cost a bit all depends how bad your car is in the first place , but if you want to do it yourself , clay bar it for sure before any type of polish or wax touches the paint , the megs 3 stage stuff is good tho ive used it before its not too bad to be fair
    off the road boohoo anyone got a gearbox for me lol!!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3 Sport View Post
    Yeah but BH is designed to work with water... with others you need to use Quick Detailer though.

Yep, just spray it on the panel, then rub the clay bar over the top. Make sure you re-knead the clay bar though, or you will be rubbing the iron particles and stuff back over your car.

There are some videos on youtube you could have a gander at...

Go on Ian!
    Picked up on the 30th May!

2013 '13' Plate - Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S Line Roadster | Ibis White | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather/Suede with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim

Gone but won't be forgotten! 2011 '11' Plate - Audi A3 1.4 TFSI S Line | Ibis White | Privacy Glass | iPod Dock | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim | S3 Pedals

Status
    I've just ordered a meguirs kit off flea bay so I will give it a go over the weekend

Any other tips greatly appreciated?

Should I go over it with the Autoglym HD polish I got before I put on the wax?

How many coats of wax should I aim for? ( need to know how many cans to get in lol! )

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    LOL is that where about 10 of them come running out from nowhere and then dissapear when the job is done like carwash ninja's?
    Ha !! you been there too

Status
    We have one down the road from here, take mums Mariva there ( not worth spending my time on a dirty Poxhaull! ) always makes me laugh how when you pull in its deserted, then all of a sudden theres a stampede of Borats brothers with sponges!

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    How much is a detail with paint correction N8? .Mine has swirls and the metalic pearl is not showing to its full potential .
    Where abouts are you based Steve, depends on your paintwork....

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

1st Gear

Status
    I've just ordered a meguirs kit off flea bay so I will give it a go over the weekend

Any other tips greatly appreciated?

Should I go over it with the Autoglym HD polish I got before I put on the wax?

How many coats of wax should I aim for? ( need to know how many cans to get in lol! )
    Erm, you may be best giving it a couple of coats of AutoGlym Super Resin Polish, then use your HD Wax. 2 coats of wax should be enough... Ive read that every fresh coat of wax takes the majority of the previous layer off.

What colours your car?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Try IronX bfore claying to disolve the ferous metal particles that get imbedded in your paint. Make the job even easier. Some on detailing world report using IronX and then Tardis tar remover almost negates the need for clay or at least means one bit of clay can do most of the car.

Recently used IronX for the first time. Amazing stuff but stinks!! Followed by Autoglym SRP via rotary polisher and topped off with Autoglym HD wax. Pleased with the results.
    A3 TDi S Line DSG Lava Grey, Leather, Bose, 18" Split Rims
    Mods: Ambient Lights, Puddle & Footwell lights, Tints, Exhaust Trim, Mudflaps, Wind Deflectors Cup Holder Mod

1st Gear

Status
    Get it detailed.
    +1

Neutral

Status
    Valentines road and track 45 quid! It's so easy to work with and durable

Example

she's no d-turbo

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kealey View Post
    Valentines road and track 45 quid! It's so easy to work with and durable

Example

Thats what im using at the minute, great wax!

Neutral

Status
    Some job moag eh! Good value for money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast