Stupid clock in my car. !??!!

supanova

A3 2.0 TDI SE
Reaction score
Coleraine, Coleraine, United Kingdom, United Kingd
ok so I set car clock at the correct time (24hr style) then a few days later I got into my car and the time has changed completely.

has happened a few times now and I have got to the stage were I don't even correct it anymore as no doubt it will be wrong the next time I get into my car.

any ideas?:ermm:

im guessing there could be a bad connection between the cluster and the multiplug so its loosing the permanent 12v supply.

Yeah I'd go with power related, either battery is iffy or you have wiring/cluster problems.

I have a used red dis cluster for a tdi available if any use, could stick that in car overnight see if that also has issues then you'd know if as car or cluster side at fault.

Does the trip mileage and mpg etc reset as well as the clock ?

Ah..you can see the way i am thinking ...power cut or clock fault :)

Or, one of those radio time controlled clusters? Depending on where you are and presence of pirate radio stations etc and lazy DJ's/MC's who don't set their station RDS clocks ..

Ive seen the part number in ETKA for a radio controlled clock module but dont know anything about it.

AFAIK the radio clock module actually gets its signal from a european transmitted signal that I dont believe is via the radio stations rds etc system as such & afaik it wasnt available in UK, buttt, I have it on my list to do to test anyway, so watch this space.

It requires a receiver on the boot area iirc.

My wrist watch gets its signal from several places in the UK. its the size of std medium size watch. Why would Audi need a receiver in the boot :). the signal for the watch is actually world wide and covers all time zones. so it can work out if its receiving UK time or Euro time. This way it is correct anywhere in the world or can show the time anywhere in the world while in the UK. Its uncanny the way it beeps the hour to the second with the BBC time signal.... good old 21st century :) Audi will get there one day !!
I doubt the DIS gets RDS info as the RNSE only repeats the DIS time.

Yep it's nothing to do with RDS it's transmitted from an atomic clock. I always wondered why it's not an option in the UK though.

Why would Audi need a receiver in the boot

Thats where its stuck mate, on the rear bumper area, guess thats where its most open to the air & wont get covered in crap from the road, who knows.

Thats where its stuck mate, on the rear bumper area, guess thats where its most open to the air & wont get covered in crap from the road, who knows.

Yea..wasnt meaning to be facetious...:)..what imeant was if you can fit the whole thing inside a watch then you would think it would be in the DIS module rather than a far away as possable from it in the boot:) ....or maybe in the auto lights/wiper sensor on he screen.

& mate, didnt read it that way either, just more information for you all. :)

Thinking if its a power cut to the dIS then all the readings would reset. not just the clock. so it looks like a dodgy connection maybe in the dIS rather than too the DIS. NHN will be along soon i expect and he is the electrical wizard :)
If you have an RNSE the time on that is set via the DIS clock as well so presumably that is going back to zero as well ??? not sure if other head units use the DIS clock, again one for NHN :)

With regards to the atomic clocks, I have 2 alarm clocks set via radio waves and every now and then they show the wrong time (several hours wrong rather than a few minutes), but they seem to correct themselves again within 24 hours, so don't rely on them always being correct.

It always seems to happen during the night so not sure what causes the interference.