Advice Buying Used Audi A3

TheGame7

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to buy a used Audi A3 for approximately £7000.

My requirements are as follows:
1.9 or 2.0TDi
5 Door
Black/Grey
Leather Interior
Full Service History (with cam belt/water pump changed)
Ideally under 80k miles

SE is fine but Sport (with its larger alloys, sports suspension, three spoke steering wheel and climate control [what other extras there are?]) would be a bonus.

I thought I would get a 55/06/66 plate for this money.

However, I have seen a 54-plate with the following spec:

5 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Diesel, 66,800 miles, Metallic Grey, MOT-10-2011, 3 Owners. Cambelt changed by Audi dealer last year. 6 Speed Gearbox, Climate Control, Colour coding - Interior, Head restraints, Heated seats, Leather seats, Leather upholstery, Metallic paintwork, Taxed, Full Dealer History, ABS, Alloy wheels, Folding rear seats, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Side airbags, Radio\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/CD, Rear headrests, Sports seats, Traction control, Body coloured bumpers, Drivers airbag, Electric door mirrors, Front electric windows, Front head restraints, Height adjustable drivers seat, Isofix child seat anchor points, PAS, Remote central locking, Alarm, Heated door mirrors, Rear electric windows, Steering wheel rake adjustment, Steering wheel reach adjustment, Trip computer, 3x3 point rear seat belts, Front fog lights, Rear wiper, Service indicator, Space saver spare wheel. Insurance Group:11, £7,595

It was originally advertised as £7995 but two weeks later has dropped and I am hoping it will drop further to nearer £7k.

However, I am wondering the following:

Is it expensive for its age?
Can you appreciate the body shape of the A3 in grey (dolphin not lava) paint better than black? Or is black more impressive?
Is red leather less boring than black leather or is it too bright?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Looks a very good buy... You won't get a later car for your money with less than 80k on it.

To be honest with your budget you can't afford to be too picky but dolphin grey is a nice colour and suits the Sportback shape...

I appreciate I cannot be too picky but I am not in a huge rush and £7000, let alone £7500, is a large sum of money and not one I want to part with unless I am entirely happy.

An alternative option I have seen is 2007 AUDI A3 S LINE TDI SPORTBACK DOLPHIN GREY on eBay (end time 14-Mar-11 15:47:50 GMT)

What are the differences between S-Line and Sport?
Will the S-Line be a high insurance group?
Older car with lower mileage vs newer car with higher mileage?

What are the differences between S-Line and Sport?

Main differences:

S-line 18" better looking alloys - Sport 17" very dated looking alloys.
S-line slightly lower (5-10mm) stiffer suspension - Sport not so stiff suspension.
S-line front and rear bumpers no rub strip in them - Sport has rub strip in bumpers.
S-line possibly leather (or half leather) seats - Sport cloth seats.
S-line has rear boot spoiler - Sport doesn't.

Sport:
mediaid963812859.jpg

S-line:
mediaid960555404.jpg

Last edited:
Some comments on Aythrees comments

S-line 18" better looking alloys - Sport 17" very dated looking alloys. Many sports had upgraded 17inalloys due to 'very dated looking standard alloys'
S-line slightly lower (5-10mm) stiffer suspension - Sport not so stiff suspension. Not sure this is correct. I thought S Line had sports suspension as does the A5 S Line
S-line front and rear bumpers no rub strip in them - Sport has rub strip in bumpers. Not so.. depends on age..
S-line possibly leather (or half leather) seats - Sport cloth seats. True but many sports had the +£400 ish Leather and Alcantar option
S-line has rear boot spoiler - Sport doesn't. True

Good luck.... there's nought wrong with a well spec'd and original Sport IMHO... had x2 8P sports and x3 8P Sline arives later in the week.

Just so the OP doesn't end up confused...

S-line 18" better looking alloys - Sport 17" very dated looking alloys. Many sports had upgraded 17inalloys due to 'very dated looking standard alloys'

Pretty much all Sports I came across had the original Sport alloys. And I've owned two.
Standard spec'd Sports came with the dated looking alloys as shown above.

S-line slightly lower (5-10mm) stiffer suspension - Sport not so stiff suspension. Not sure this is correct. I thought S Line had sports suspension as does the A5 S Line

Sport and S-line have different suspension. The s-line is lower and stiffer.

S-line front and rear bumpers no rub strip in them - Sport has rub strip in bumpers. Not so.. depends on age..

This is correct, it does depend on age. The 8P1 (split grille) came with the same bumper as the Sport, with rub strips.
So if you go for a 54 plate then this is the bumper you'll get.
Go for an 8P2 (single grille) and you'll get the smooth bumpers.

S-line possibly leather (or half leather) seats - Sport cloth seats. True but many sports had the +£400 ish Leather and Alcantar option

Again... cross-over options are always possible. But as we're talking differences between standard spec'd models... the Sport came with cloth seats.

Having owned both, one interior difference is that the s line has black headlining as standard, sport didn't as far as I know. Small one but makes a difference to the feel of the interior

The S-Line roof lining is Black and pretty dark inside unless you go for the Sunroof option.

Current Sport is not the same as S-Line BUT when S Line introduced they were. Re the wheels. Most early sports from 2003 to circa 2006 had boring wheels although (and we have had 2 Sports) many folks cose to upgrade to 5 star and Parabolic options... incidentally on M4 yesterday saw a red Covette with Reg no TE 51 CLE ?????

'very dated looking standard alloys'
i couldnt wait to get rid of mine i changed them after only 4 days to the wheels on my car now i hated them nasty nasty wheels lol
many sports had the +£400 ish Leather and Alcantar option
mine did so glad as they are so much better than the standard cloth seats warm in the winter and cool in the summer

We never really liked the Leather Alcantara option, had it once but then went all leather or Leather Cloth option. Alcantara is man made and doesn't really breath. Just my 5p

My sport is full leather .it has ****** five spoke alloys that are fitted as standard on newer models.

i love my poverty spec sport with original twin grills and poverty wheels come on in the water is fine lol

Shameless plug, but ill be selling my parabolic alloys with decent tyres very soon :)