RNS-E - Am I just Unlucky?

Swanny356

Reaction score
Having upgraded my single Din Concert stereo to RNS-E I have encountered a few problems along the way. First the DVD drive was not ejecting and would not read the nav-disc - I purchased a new DVD drive and after fitting this thought all was great until when I try to program destination the unit stalls and then says disc unreadable.
The 2007 nav disc I purchased does have a couple of scratches but I have had it cleaned and polished, does anyone know what the problem could be? Disc, unit, operator error ?

PS If anyone wants help in changing to RNS-E or changing the drive let me know.

W7, sorry to hear of your problems. Just a few suggestions: When you insert disc, and/or when you try to program a destination, can you hear the disc spin-up? It will be very quiet, so choose a quiet time. If you cannot hear anything, it could just be the drive motor, or more likely, a motor connector. I am afraid, you may have to take out the drive again. Check all connectors for bent/pushed-back pins. Not familiar with this DVD drive, but I assume it is a standard PC drive. If so, one could test it in a PC. Before doing any of this, do try just one more DVD disk. The RNS-E is very sensitive to DVD media, so you never know if it will read a particular disk or not. Scratches on a disk are not often a major problem. Most problems come from cheap/nasty media, or poor copying. Good luck mate.

Thanks for that. As it took me ages to change the drive I think I will try another disc before messing with it again as I might do more damage than good.

you are using original discs tho? copy ones sometimes work but sometimes dont and can cause issues....

Hi yes original discs. Scuffed the new one as I tried to put it in when the old one wouldn't eject and scratched the other one removing it from the faulty DVD drive.

Hi, Thanks but not yet - a friend is getting me a disc as don't want to pay for yet another one until I know thats the problem.

Ive got an RNS-E and had a 2005 (original) disk which kept freezing when trying to input a destination, have just purchased a 2010 original disk but now im getting DVD Unreadable error message...all my CD's seem to work fine, the DVD has a couple of scratches but was sold to me as used and working, but I cant see the scratches being an issue, I dont no what other issue it could be? Any help would be appreciated guys