RNS-E straight fit?

You can also retro the sharkfin on roof too, picks up lots more satellites (around 8) than the under dash ones, but depends on how OEM you want to go..

animal

Bomb down and see Nige ! Its a day out, get the thing fitted and coded properly, sorted, no worries. Its a no brainer.

Ok, thought I had done my reading up on this, obviously not.

So my options are aftermarket gps and the boot antenna kit or the shark fin....which I assume would also need the boot antenna?

You can also retro the sharkfin on roof too, picks up lots more satellites (around 8) than the under dash ones, but depends on how OEM you want to go..

There's an echo in here :p

So my options are aftermarket gps and the boot antenna kit or the shark fin....which I assume would also need the boot antenna?

Yes either gps antenna option & the antenna system swap & I could come to you to do mate.

All depends on cost mate, I'm quite handy with this sort of stuff once I've grasped what's needed....as oem as possible is my ideal - not prepared to pay OTT for aesthetics unless the alternative is utter gash

All depends on cost mate, I'm quite handy with this sort of stuff once I've grasped what's needed....as oem as possible is my ideal - not prepared to pay OTT for aesthetics unless the alternative is utter gash

It's not that expensive if you want everything to work properly, under dash GPS antenna receives 4 to 5 satellites and OEM about twice that. You can also improve your Bluetooth and GSM reception as well..

You can also improve your Bluetooth and GSM reception as well..

Bluetooth no, GSM yes, as bluetooth has nothing to do with the sharkfin.

Sharkfins can do 3 things if you have the correct one installed, gsm, gps & the remote aux electric heater that relies on different remote aswell.

Would it be worth upgrading to a mk2 from a mk1? And full shark-fin prep too... what do you need for the TV reception?

Bluetooth no, GSM yes, as bluetooth has nothing to do with the sharkfin.

Sharkfins can do 3 things if you have the correct one installed, gsm, gps & the remote aux electric heater that relies on different remote aswell.

I'll have to investigate this one :think:, I know one of them is not connected up (grey connector I think) I have aux heating though..

Would it be worth upgrading to a mk2 from a mk1? And full shark-fin prep too... what do you need for the TV reception?

Yes it is, with MkII you get enhanced SD card storage upto 32gig x2, faster processor as well as ability for AMI. For Tv, you need hybrid receiver, 2x boot amplifiers, wiring etc..

IMHO yes, its a better unit overall, screen, faster processing, ami compat, sdhc compat, quicker in use & tv reception would need a media adapter aswell as the relevant tuner, as the oem version is over 1k & will be locked by the in motion system afaik, vim hack on mk2's require reprogramming of the internal chips & would need sending away.

For me sharkfin is as already stated better for sats reception, looks better aswell.

I have had a quick peak at a 56 plate in the works car park this morning, noticing it doesn't infact have anything on the roof.... mine DOES have an OEM shark fin already? i assume this would just need to be directly swapped for a GPS item...or does this mean i have had a nat system fitted already prior to me owning?

It's there because you have the phone prep - if you have either factory nav or phone prep with a cradle then you get the sharkfin aerial.

From what I've read though, they only put the necessary wiring in so you may find you have to run a new cable along the roof to the aerial for the nav.

kk looking at the thread in the FAQs section..it looks like the fin wont have GPS unless anyone can confirm otherwise?

so the RNS-E should be plug and play, obviously i need to

code in via vagcom
change the BOSE pin over?
and possibly get hold of the double antenna plug?
oh, and fit the rear boot antenna.....

have i added/missed anything....

you don't NEED a sharkfin, but it'll give you slightly better GPS reception.

i already have a shark fin :) if it will wire up then great, if not then i'll try the puck first ;)

For that coding, presumably you can only have one option for each position? So you can't have NAV and voice activation installed together, or cd-changer and mfsw?

It's there because you have the phone prep - if you have either factory nav or phone prep with a cradle then you get the sharkfin aerial.

From what I've read though, they only put the necessary wiring in so you may find you have to run a new cable along the roof to the aerial for the nav.

He doesnt have cradle in dash & hasnt mentioned armrest cradle either, so highly unlikely he has phone prep, as audi dont tend to fit fins without the relevant system being installed aswell, be surprised if its gps enabled tbh as nothing points to this atm unless someone removed nav beforehand & sold it & stuck that in place, ah hold on you did say it was stolen recovered or what? Is it possible nav unit was nicked?

For that coding, presumably you can only have one option for each position? So you can't have NAV and voice activation installed together, or cd-changer and mfsw?

You add the numbers together for that given digit position, which then determines what systems are fitted to the car, so 7 is all 3 systems added up, so you code 7 in that position.

Last edited:
You add the numbrs together for that given digit position, which then determines what systems are fitted to the car, so 7 is all 3 systems added up, so you code 7 in that position.

Gotcha, it's all for reading as binary. That makes sense, and explains why there's no +3, and why there's a + at all. I'm looking forward to this more and more each day! Now I just need to get home and buy a car so I can get to work on the wish list... only 2 weeks to go :(

Nigel - na i got the options list for this car from Audi before i bought it and it does indeed have phone prep in the arm rest, bluetooth and ipod dock - no sat nav on that list..... although someone on the FAQs checked his 07 plate car and that didnt have GPS in the antenna (dunno if FL is any different)- plus point is that aside from the headlining, it wont be as hard a task to fit as theres no drilling involved.

Nigel - na i got the options list for this car from Audi before i bought it and it does indeed have phone prep in the arm rest, bluetooth and ipod dock - no sat nav on that list..... although someone on the FAQs checked his 07 plate car and that didnt have GPS in the antenna (dunno if FL is any different)- plus point is that aside from the headlining, it wont be as hard a task to fit as theres no drilling involved.

Aha all becomes clear now & the fact it says phone prep in your sig dohhhhh, you maybe lucky the fin may be the one that has the gps tail there with nothing attached & therefore needs extending down, only 1 way to find out tbh.

Out of interest NHN, where are you located if you don't mind me asking? Pm if prefer.. you seem to be the man in the field of doing this sort of thing and I've got a list as long as my arm wanting done ha!

Aha all becomes clear now & the fact it says phone prep in your sig dohhhhh, you maybe lucky the fin may be the one that has the gps tail there with nothing attached & therefore needs extending down, only 1 way to find out tbh.

was thinking the same mate, i'll take one for the team and report back...... i'll have a look this weekend *gets big screwdriver out ready to prise a few panels off*

what colour wires am i looking for?

if it doesnt have it i might roll with the puck for a while, far less hassle....if any troubles then ill just replace the fin.

Off to search for a diversity fitting guide now ;)

is this what im gonna need to do? just to confirm...whats worrying me is taking it apart and not having all the bits such as the double aerial plug

code in via vagcom
change the BOSE pin over?
and possibly get hold of the double antenna plug?