sludge on oil filler cap

agrim

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if this is a major problem,

Oil light came up on dash, went to top oil up when I discovered when I removed the cap it was coated in a brown sludge.

Can anyone explain this, if a major can get dealer to fix as still in warranty

Thanks

At this time of year it's not unusual to see a bit of mayo/sludge under the filler cap if the car is only doing short runs and with the cold temperatures then you will see a bit of condensation inside most engines. Which doesn't mean there is anything sinister going on a good run and getting the engine nice and hot will get rid of any condensation. But the fact your oil warnining light has come on tends to point towards maybe using a bit more oil than is normal so if the car is under warranty get the dealer to look at it asap.

HTH

Alan

Thanks for that, I do only 10 miles a day to work so not really working the engine, although I will get it checked out in the new year.

thanks once again

i would keep an eye on it, could be the head gasket going ?

Yes always quote car model, year & engine type as helps us advise what we know of.

As an aside i have never had to top up the oil in 50k miles so as Nige says, model age mileage etc is a must for anyone to give meaningful advice.

If you have any doubts inform the dealer because if a related problem crops up out of warranty you can point out that they were made aware of a potential problem while still covered.

Hi, I have the same problem with mine, little bit of "mayonaise" as someone called it. Only in the winter though. summer is fine... I just wipe it off and any other residue that I can see.