3.2 Quattro sportback questions

Agree with S above

When its checked out by Audi make sure it has the latest ECU flash/version installed. Most importantly this one.....

TPL procedure number: 2005748/4
Internal message code 8P01A005 or update CD No. 4F0 906,961 N

Copy this and show them and they will check.

Its a 2005 with indie dealer, has history till 45K with main dealer then indie services all longlife. Need to check haldex and dsg Services cheers for reminder. Warranty would be non Audi se garage is indie. They confirmed milage via MOT's database and indie services records to be forwarded ready for 2nd viewing.

My pigeons taste better than your pigeons.
So there

LMFAO classic reply lmfao, he got yer there paddy

Rich, after hearing Paddy's stories I'd steer well clear of a 3.2, regardless if others have had no issues, to have the bills he's had would scare me of alone.

Why not a 2.0 tfsi?

I really wasn't looking again after my first search... This one just dropped into my lap.

It's Paddy's story amongst others that put me off going for one before TBH, but saying that there are quite a few people I've spoken to whom think the 3.2 is one of the strongest engines in the range! I dunno about that as I'm far from well versed enough to make any comments. Swings and roundabouts it seems... I can't really be ***** searching for another 1 either, lol, and this one is way to much of a deal to match all being well.

It's just the talk of chains going, and the replacement costs of circa 2K to have that switched out it's not a point of can't afford it but who the hell would be happy paying out that on a car they just bought! I read somewhere that it says its a 25+ hour job in the book!! That is scary mate, specially at Audi rates and pre- parts. Not the end of the world but far from nice ay... TBH though I'd have a go as long as all checks come back fine, It's actually 72K just re-checked with Garage. I read that Audi now recommend changing the chain @ 75K as appose to it lasts a lifetime :tocktock:

Wish I had VAG.COM and was upto speed with it now, blast!!

Wish I had VAG.COM and was upto speed with it now, blast!!

Considering your ideas on modding existing car & now the 3.2, then vcds is small change, although its not the messiah to all vag owners (for me it is), it certainly helps & considering audi's rates per hour, 2.5 of them would pay for that cable/software :)

Yes I make you right Nige, u may well be hearing from me on that soon. Had a drive of the car today as the curiosity was getting the better of me... There was a micro stutter from a standstill that I hadn't noticed before so false alarm! As any niggle on the 3.2 gives me the hebbies lol! So I gave it a miss, didn't bother with the checks etc.

I shall be ignoring any more stealers phone calls, onward with new mods on the TDi

Cheers all!

Probably a wise move in the long run RS !! its a very nice car when its all working but the fact is its hugely complicated for what is just a small 3 door hatchback. I live in fear of mine going wrong again. Luckily for me, money is not a problem but i don't need the hassle. That said diesels have there problems and Akash is looking for a new turbo hot his 2.0t at just 70k miles which is diabolical really.

Last edited:
I know mate, it's not a money issue but the hassle is phenomenal when your car is off the road. A3's really do have their niggles right across the range.... not just confined to the 3.2 as you point out. Also, Injectors also know to go on the 170TDi and porous heads on the TDi's in general iirc.

My engine had a full rebuild due to the blinkin' alternator tensioner pulley breaking off resulting in belt wrapping around camshaft pulley, camshaft timing getting shagged - end result total rebuild required. 5K job, fortunately under warranty and all sorted without any monetary cost to myself, time without car and hassle of getting sorted is another issue!

So I suppose better the devil you know and all that, got some mods planned to keep me happy power & looks wise till the next model arrives.

Last edited:
Agree mate, the only reason i keep mine is most things have been done , chains, tensioners, cam solenoids, sprockets, cam position sensors, etc + its still under 50k miles. It will go this summer though.