A3 Injector - Mechanical Knowledge required

tonz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My car cut out on saturday night, and I've just been told by the mechanic that its one of the injectors. Apparently he knew as he could start the car on three cylinders. He told me the injector would cost £500 plus VAT and another £100 in labour. All a bit of a nightmare at this time of year, but does anyone know if this price sounds right and where if possible I could source cheaper parts?By the way its a 2004 A3 TDI 140bhp.

MaNY thanks,

Paul

Sounds like the same thing i had on the 170 recently mate

eBay is always a good shout, i managed to pick one up for 200 as apposed to 500 from Audi

Fitting will take a couple of hours, so £50/hour is about right

Hi mate,

thanks for reply. I phone around a few breakers and one said they in around £100 each. Cant believe new form audi they are £500, thats 2000 for a set? Ive been told by the breaker however i need the code which is on the injector. is there anyother way to get this i.e engine code?

Hi mate,

thanks for reply. I phone around a few breakers and one said they in around £100 each. Cant believe new form audi they are £500, thats 2000 for a set? Ive been told by the breaker however i need the code which is on the injector. is there anyother way to get this i.e engine code?

Contact 'Devonmikeyboy' on here, he usually has spares for the tdi engine - he sold me an injector about 6 months ago that came out of a car having some upgraded bits rather than being a breaker so at least you can be reasonably sure its in good shape!

Thanks, Ricky I will give him a shout.

Paul

If you want a new injector like anything else don`t go to a dealer to get it as they will screw you over. On ebay there is a new injector for £250 which is an OK price NEW VW/AUDI 2.0 TDI 2005>2009 (AZV/BKD) INJECTOR on eBay (end time 17-Dec-10 09:22:39 GMT) . Get the car checked with Vagcom as just because the car is running on three injectors doesn`t mean it`s the injectors fault and you need to find out which injector it is. It might be just that the connector from the wiring loom on to the injector has become loose and needs tightening which would be a ten minute job to fix.

You don`t need the injector code either as long as it is a BKD engine both the 03G130073G and 03G130073B are the same injectors. It`s to long a story about why and how etc and why the 03G130073B are not stocked anymore it`s a VAG parts ******** lets complicate life thing as usual.

VAGCOM couldn't tell us what the problem was on my 170, NHN and I worked out that it was the injector by opening up the engine, switching a few of the leads around until we could see that all the leads were working, so it was a trial and error game to find out which injector it was

VAGCOM just brought up very vague codes about electronics, nothing about the actual injectors

With the PD140 BKD vagcom should tell you which injector isn`t firing. Remove the rocker cover and swap injector connectors over and you should soon find out if it`s an injector problem or wiring fault.

Nah sorry Mikey, vagcom didnt be that specific as to which injector it was or even it was an injector tbh mate, gave us load of electrical errors, which 1st pointed me to relays & ecu, wasnt until I lifted the rocker & disconnected individual injectors did I find the issue, which was 1 injector.

Hi Guys,

The mechanic got me the "o3g ..." code today and suggested bocsh injector at roughly 330 plus VAT - Still a bit of a joke. So in the end I sourced a second hand one out of an 05 A3 with 40k for £125.00 from a local breaker. Seems Audi are a complete ripp off charging £500 per injector - who would pay this? He told me over the phone he swapped looms etc but I suppose, Ive just got to take word for it that it needs the injector. So im picking the part up tomorrow ans hopefully it will be sorted. Just for my own peice of mind how long should this job take and what price fo labour? Taking into consideration he has already removed the injector.

Any reason you decided to pay £125 from a breaker when i offered to sale you one for £50 ?

Hi Mikey,

I Sent you an email to confirm the code's but you never got back to me. What code is your's and condition?

(only realised you posted above Mikey, just worried as was told by two people I needed the code which is "03g 130 073 B, to match.")

Paul

Last edited:
03G 130 073 B was used in BKD manuals from 2004-2005.5
03G 130 073 G was used in BKD auto cars from 2004-2005.5
VAG then stopped having two injectors with different part numbers and put 03G 130 073 G in both the manual and auto cars. If your mechanic says you need a 03G 130 073G then get that i guess if you want to keep him happy as he will blame the injector for every little fault if anything goes wrong but they are the same injector that flow the same amount plus as the injectors in VAG PD cars are not coded into the ECU the ECU doesn`t know what injectors are there either.

Thanks Mikey,

I ended up getting the "B" to match - not that i wanted to pay extra, if my injector was a "g" I would def had got yours. As you say better to comply incase I have any future complaints.

thanks for your time.