Extending Glow Plug Time 2.0TDI in VAGCOM?

c_w

Reaction score
I know it's a strange request but does anyone know specifically how to extend the glow plug time on the 2.0TDI engine? (170 to be specific). The first cold start of the day it usually fires up then dies straight away or takes longer than usual to start. The battery is fine and once it's been run for a few minutes it restarts perfectly.

It's got new OE glow plugs on, new fuel, air filters and otherwise runs perfectly. I've found that if I put the ignition on, wait for the glow plug light to go off, then do that a couple of times then start it, it starts fine first time, so just wondering if I could alter the glow plug time a bit so that don't need to keep doing the ignition on/off first.

In VAGCOM in Engine module / Adaptation, I think on channel 8 there is a setting that says 2 seconds at 0 deg, I think this is the glow plug time. The original setting is "128", but don't know what figure to put in there to increase the timing (have tried random numbers like 127/129/64/256 but it doesn't accept anything so left it back at 128).

Last edited:
it doesnt work on the 8P - i tried it on mine but nothing would make it change the real value

only working solution i found was to turn on th ignition, wait for the orange glow light to go off, then turn off the ignition for a few secs, turn on again and wait again, then start engine.

as dunk says it doesnt seem to work, but turning on and off will have the same effect

Ok thanks! I've been doing the igniton on/off thing, bit annoying but suppose sounds like have to just do that in this cold weather!

Have you had the injectors tested? i seem to remember poor starting can be a sign one is on the way out - something to do with loosing compression in one cylinder. My 2.0tdi has no issue starting cold

Not much help i know but the glow plug time can be changed in the mapping if you have a custom map.

I've got the exact same problem, leave the glow plug light on a few seconds, do this one or more times and then the engine refuses to starts on the first turn of the key.
I have to try it a couple of times and also have the accelerator pedal pressed at the same time :(

I've only had the car 9 days!!!

Gonna start with a vagcom scan, replace the plugs, check for voltage drop on the starter motor, check for fuel running back to the tank and so on.....

Last edited:
This could be your camshaft timing. Check your torsion value in vagcom. Minus shows its retarded ..easy to adjust and a Millimetre makes a huge difference. Take top timing cover off and the right hand camshaft is the intake (adjust this one) mark the washer under the big 18mm bolt in line with the sprocket (using tipex or touch up brush) and then slacken the 3 x 13mm bolts.(do not take out) ..next get an 18mm spanner and turn a few mm either direction- turn clockwise to advance timing and anti clockwise to ****** etc ..only a few mm at a time. After moving make sure you tighten the 3 x 13 mm bolts before starting engine again... worked for me and took about 10 mins. Can do it without vagcom , however it will be hit and miss whether you get the sweet spot