225BHP S3 V's A3 8P but which?

paneristi232

Reaction score
Yesterday morning at about 9 am I was travelling down the A6068 from Burnley to Padiham and noticed that there was a newer A3 sportline behind me. Pulling away from a junction I floored it and to my surprise the A3 behind me remained equidistant, neither gaining nor loosing ground on me!! This went on for a fair time and we were getting some decent speed up and still nothing in it. I must have known the road better as I let off for a fixed speed camera and and noticed in my drivers wing mirror he had pulled out and was attampting a pass, he very quickly anchored on and tucked back in behind me. When I turned off I gave him a wave and he gave me a flash, think it made us both smile!

My question is this, what S line was he driving? Would it have been a 2.0T or a 3.2? Mine is a completely standard S3 and believe me there was nothing at all in it!

J

could have been either...although if it were the 2.0T he would prob had more of an edge..... get it mapped and say goodbye to the 3.2's and unmapped 2.0T's ;)

Had almost exactly the same happen two Fridays ago at a set of lights. I needed to pull in as three lanes went down to two. Neither edged forwards so pull off in first and second slowly, but he kept level, so booted it and only just managed to edge ahead over about 500 yards. He then gave up, but flashed and thumbs up from both. Hence this thread;

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?97824-S3-8L-vs-A3-2TFSI-8P

could of been a 170bhp tdi also, as it wasnt from a standing start and these things have plenty of torque to pull in gear, but the big puff of black smoke when he floored it would of given this away.

Last edited:
the 170 tdi torque or no torque shouldnt have caused you an issue in fairness

Granted it's an A4 avant, but the family chugger 170 is not a touch on the S3 at half pace, let alone full pelt.

the big issue is that a lot of people have a misguided view, the 170 will be great mid range and not far off the pace IMO....but unless its on fresh boost and at the right speed, its screwed

JD you will be able to confirm ?

The 170 diesel has plenty of torque but it all comes at once, great for overtaking but it soon runs out of steam.

Its a hard one to call, off the line the S3 will be infront of a TDI but froma rolling start I think the new tdi can catch people out, I dont think a standard one would have enought to out do the S3 but it would hold on for a bit. The remapped ibiza at the spring festival were fast, but they smoke all the time when the go pedal is pushed hard. The 8p 2.o tfsi quattro has the same 0-60 as the 210 S3

There's a kid round my area with a 170 tdi 8p and thinks hes the dog's nuts, i hammer him everytime :).

The power delivery from the TDI is impressive and it makes the car feel faster than it is. I would like a drive in remapped 170 which i can imagine once rolling would be very quick.

yep its mostly interpretation on the TDI's, they feel quicker thqn they are in most respects..... thing i hate is the lag, they just have no power at all till the turbo kicks in

Agreed Tim, but it runs out of puff. This is an Auto and we're in 6/7th what ever it is before you know it. MPG at 40-45 is lush, but . . .

mpg.jpg

Average over the weekend with just motorway miles up and down the M6. Not bad for a Turbo car!

I just got rid of a Golf Anniversary TDI 150 pd which was mapped to 187bhp and that would not stand a chance against a S3.

Thanks for all the responses but we did set off from a junction together and both gave it full beans and there still was no difference! I think it must have been a 2.0T as the pickup on it was rapid, definately not a 3.2 V6, it had to have a turbo.

Couldn't see if there was any smoke at the back because I was infront the whole time, just.

IMG_0069-Copy.jpg

Jamie

Last edited: