Volks AutosEM Tuning
    Blue Beast

Status

Mods on insurance / 8P S3

Hey,

Wanted to know your thoughts as im in 2 minds and cant decide now.
    I just called up admiral and asked how much extra a remap or suspension mods would be to my insurance, they said "if its not done by audi we wont insure you"....
    Are your mods insured, if so by who?

Modding is like an addiction, (nothing done to the engine so far, just a panel filter, dv and LCR splitter) should i start on this slippery slope, or is it worth spending the extra 6-8 grand and getting an 8P S3? was scouting about on Autotrader and ive seen 8L's similar spec to mine for around 10K.

What are your opinions?
    Current: Nogi Blue S3 BAM ⁞ Andy Mac sub ⁞ Forge 007P ⁞ TT Pedals ⁞ LCR Splitter ⁞ EBC Discs ⁞ Greenstuff Pads ⁞ Forge Short shifter ⁞ Spacers ⁞ Badger 5 TIP ⁞ Jetex Cone Filter ⁞ RTech Stage 1 Remap ⁞ 8P Gear Knob ⁞ N249 Delete ⁞ Oil Catch Can Mod
    Previous: MK3 Golf GTi 16v

2. # ADS
    ADS

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status
    I don't get this. I was quoted 23Ł extra on my Admiral policy to ensure lowered suspension and 174 for both suspension and a remap. . .

Unless your policy is different in some way (age, NCB, location, car's worth??).

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Just renewed mine through Adrian Flux, all mods declared.... Ł460 fully comp...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Blue Beast

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JD09 View Post
    I don't get this. I was quoted 23Ł extra on my Admiral policy to ensure lowered suspension and 174 for both suspension and a remap. . .

Unless your policy is different in some way (age, NCB, location, car's worth??).
    That is ridiculous, I wonder why they wont do mine..... i got 5 years NCB..... Unless the guy didnt know what he was on about.
    Current: Nogi Blue S3 BAM ⁞ Andy Mac sub ⁞ Forge 007P ⁞ TT Pedals ⁞ LCR Splitter ⁞ EBC Discs ⁞ Greenstuff Pads ⁞ Forge Short shifter ⁞ Spacers ⁞ Badger 5 TIP ⁞ Jetex Cone Filter ⁞ RTech Stage 1 Remap ⁞ 8P Gear Knob ⁞ N249 Delete ⁞ Oil Catch Can Mod

Blue Beast

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post
    Just renewed mine through Adrian Flux, all mods declared.... Ł460 fully comp...

<tuffty/>
    I guess its different with each insurer, Adrian Flux quoted me 1200 on a completely standard car.

Status
    Ring them back pal. What did you want to do lowering wise? Those quotes were for +25% power and any suspension mods (springs/dampers/coilies/tiebars) and no mention of height restrictions.

3rd Gear

Status
    Admiral said the same to me. I'm changing insurer come renewel if they won't reconsider because I want to remap at somepoint!
    Good question though about the 8p S3 sure if you got that you'd have the same problem and want to remap it! Lol

Blue Beast

Status
    Ring them back pal. What did you want to do lowering wise? Those quotes were for +25% power and any suspension mods (springs/dampers/coilies/tiebars) and no mention of height restrictions.
    Yeh I will do a little later, just wanted a 20-25mm drop with shocks and springs + a remap. I really dont think the guy new what he was on about, as he had to put me on hold around 6 times to find out. Although he did say, we havent been asked these things before.....

Blue Beast

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdas03 View Post
    Admiral said the same to me. I'm changing insurer come renewel if they won't reconsider because I want to remap at somepoint!
    Good question though about the 8p S3 sure if you got that you'd have the same problem and want to remap it! Lol
    Catch 22, at some point you always get used to the power...... but then its 265 bhp as standard.

Status
    ********. n00b. Ring them back. If you want a reference;

Quoted Ł23 for suspension by Jenna on;
    19/05/2010 13:21:44 James Durbin Information Services - 08718828208

Blue Beast

Status
    ********. n00b. Ring them back. If you want a reference;

Quoted Ł23 for suspension by Jenna on;
    19/05/2010 13:21:44 James Durbin Information Services - 08718828208
    I'll call them again..... I remember seeing someone else on this forum thats had his mods insured via admiral aswell.

2nd Gear

Status
    Ł450 with mods mines Ł1500 standard need to build ncb

Faster than a V12 Q7

Status
    If you get a quote through confused.com and add in the modifications to your policy, admiral still came back with a the best quote for me so I'm sure they will do it. Interestingly enough tinted windows added Ł80 to a quote for an s3, seems a bit steep!

S3 Drift King!

Status
    I did the confused.com thing online, and Admiral called me up, cos I said I had another 3 cars, told them one was remapped, and the other car(1989 Golf GTI 16v) was on classic policy, and they couldn't help, cos they could only provide cover for 2 cars.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - ÂŁ400

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s17nj View Post
    Catch 22, at some point you always get used to the power...... but then its 265 bhp as standard.
    But how much power can 8k get you on a 8L like yours?
    Alot id imagine! all depends what you want! if i had near 20k id be looking Rs4!!

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    I guess its different with each insurer, Adrian Flux quoted me 1200 on a completely standard car.
    Quote Originally Posted by s3_stig View Post
    Ł450 with mods mines Ł1500 standard need to build ncb
    I am big and old, 3 million years NCB, 44yrs old, 2.4 kids and a job in IT makes it cheap for me... that said, it did used to cost me Ł250 fully comp when she was std ;P

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Neutral

Status
    When i was shopping around Greenlight were the cheapest by far and quoted me an extra Ł48 for a remap and noted all my suspension mods (kw springs/shocks/tiebars etc) and charged nothing extra!
    jabba..dabba..doood!
    Now for sale (51) S3
    PM me!

2nd Gear

Status
    I am big and old, 3 million years NCB, 44yrs old, 2.4 kids and a job in IT makes it cheap for me... that said, it did used to cost me Ł250 fully comp when she was std ;P

<tuffty/>
    I hopefully will get down to that one day just gotta keep out of trouble

2nd Gear
    Chopper Challenge Champion

Status
    I am with Greenflag pay Ł475 per year all mods declared but i am 32 and wife is a little older (wont declare her age as she sometimes reads!!!).

Greenflag told me they dont count what mods you have done they go of what BHP your car is doing..
    2002 S3 8L, FORGE 007, R-TECH RE-MAPP, MILTEK CAT BACK NON-RESONATED, JETEX CONE FILTER AND 260 BHP ISH.......

Blue Beast

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdas03 View Post
    But how much power can 8k get you on a 8L like yours?
    Alot id imagine! all depends what you want! if i had near 20k id be looking Rs4!!
    Yeh your right, i do really like the 8P's tho, RS4 for near 20K? cheapest one i seen is aroun 25K, plus imagine a 4.2L on petrol!

Blue Beast

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by luke2702 View Post
    I am with Greenflag pay Ł475 per year all mods declared but i am 32 and wife is a little older (wont declare her age as she sometimes reads!!!).

Greenflag told me they dont count what mods you have done they go of what BHP your car is doing..
    Hmmmm interesting, insurance is up for renewal in 3-4 months..... cheers for the info

2nd Gear
    Chopper Challenge Champion

Status
    Hmmmm interesting, insurance is up for renewal in 3-4 months..... cheers for the info
    No problem, i just come out of a Diesel golf anni which was 187bhp, it went up by Ł75 for the s3... so was very happy with there service...
    2002 S3 8L, FORGE 007, R-TECH RE-MAPP, MILTEK CAT BACK NON-RESONATED, JETEX CONE FILTER AND 260 BHP ISH.......

Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Status
    Ive just sent a quote request to greenlight and adrianflux. All mods declared. See what they come back with.

2003 Audi S3 + Go faster bits

5th Gear

Status
    I'm with Greenlight - cheapest by far.

My Audi's not modified but my previous car was highly modded - engine conversion etc. Greenlight where the cheapest with that aswell.

thats me

Status
    just do a quote online Im sure you can add the mods on there to get a quote.
    red to red black to black blue to bits

6th Gear

Status

<tuffty/>
    a job in IT!? I thought you were a mechanic lol
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

Status
    Sounds like Welly!

Missing the S3

Status
    My insurance went up by Ł100 this year was not pleased, bloody idiots who cant drive in the snow, why do i have to pay for there mistakes? Privilege came out tops for me, everyone else was about 200 to 400 more with stupid excess. Adrian flux gave me a better quote than my requote from privilege, but then privilege matched it, and brought my excess back down to Ł250. Mines standard so dont know what privilege are like with mods. mines Ł548.52 for the year (would have been cheaper but i pay monthly) im 26 with 6 years ncb

Status
    See again, this is where Admiral trumps it for me. As mentioned, 23, 4NCB and the excess on all cars is 464. Once over 25 it's 250 flat, including the R8. And the R8 with the above details this year is +Ł500 . . . which is about 1k lower than anywhere else!

Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Status
    Im seeing about Ł500 fc with mods declared from greenlight and adrianflux. Not too bad really. Thats about what confused.com was showing with no mods declared.

2003 Audi S3 + Go faster bits

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookstein View Post
    a job in IT!? I thought you were a mechanic lol
    No mate, thats what I do in my spare time

<tuffty/>

Blue Beast

Status
    Just phoned Admiral....
    Standard renewal quote is Ł823
    with mods (Remap, Exhaust, suspension) = Ł971
    I got 6 years no claims and am 27.... why so expensive! (May have to sell the car at this rate!)
    Just asked greenlight and adrian flux for a quote, anyone else recommend any other insurance companies?

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Just phoned Admiral....
    I got 6 years no claims and am 27.... why so expensive! (May have to sell the car at this rate!)
    Just asked greenlight and adrian flux for a quote, anyone else recommend any other insurance companies?
    I think you will find Greenlight and AdrianFlux to be pretty much the best companies to insure a modded S3 with from my past experience, so always call these guys last, and play them off each other. I just been switching between these two in the last 7 years of insuring my S3.

Saying that, SkyInsurance(site sponsors) did beat my AdrianFlux quote by a fiver or something, but out of loyalty and the no hassle of switching insurance companies, I stuck with AdrianFlux this year, so you might want to give them a bell also, and mention you are an ASN member to get a discount.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Just phoned Admiral....
    Adrian Flux gets my vote, been pretty good so far...

Your postcode could be affecting the quote... see here for an idea
    http://www.carinsuranceexplained.com...tcode_risk.htm

<tuffty/>

Status

<tuffty/>
    OK, so that proves something to me. My postcode is a B registered postcode in terms of risk. And yet Ollie from Sky insurance said he couldn't cover this area.

Not having a gripe, but that surely means Sky don't cover anything other than A rated postcodes . . . ?

S3 Drift King!

Status
    OK, so that proves something to me. My postcode is a B registered postcode in terms of risk. And yet Ollie from Sky insurance said he couldn't cover this area.

Not having a gripe, but that surely means Sky don't cover anything other than A rated postcodes . . . ?
    My Solihull postcode is classed as B also, and I got a quote.

Blue Beast

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think you will find Greenlight and AdrianFlux to be pretty much the best companies to insure a modded S3 with from my past experience, so always call these guys last, and play them off each other. I just been switching between these two in the last 7 years of insuring my S3.

Saying that, SkyInsurance(site sponsors) did beat my AdrianFlux quote by a fiver or something, but out of loyalty and the no hassle of switching insurance companies, I stuck with AdrianFlux this year, so you might want to give them a bell also, and mention you are an ASN member to get a discount.
    Ahh ok thanks for that, moneysupermarket on a standard S3, cheapest for me is Ł1100, I will call both of these companies and see if they will be better.

<tuffty/>
    This explains why my Insurance is so expensive! Im in an "F" area, High Risk.