EM TuningChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

Update on conrod faliure

Garage still reckon not their fault that the conrod snapped (and they ruined a 2003 S3 with only 47K on the clock) after they chanaged water pump and TIMING BELT! The say its a freak accident. Had an engine assessor look at it he said that it looks like one of the psitons smashing into the value due to the timing belt sliping; he need the head off to be definate.

Has anyone experience anything like this or heard of this happening? was quite depressed for a week, i loved that s3 but if the engine assessor is correct they must owe me a new engine and have it replaced by audi?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    only ones I know of were modded

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Its possible that the tensioner damper has failed... this never seems to be changed as part of a timing belt service when it really should be... if the damper isn't working then this could cause the timing belt to slip... if you ever get a chance to turn the cam gear on a removed 20v head then you will see how much work the belt has to put in...

Good luck with it though mate, hope you get it sorted

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post
    Its possible that the tensioner damper has failed... this never seems to be changed as part of a timing belt service when it really should be... if the damper isn't working then this could cause the timing belt to slip... if you ever get a chance to turn the cam gear on a removed 20v head then you will see how much work the belt has to put in...

Good luck with it though mate, hope you get it sorted

<tuffty/>
    Been there done that

Must say it is hard to turn
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available
    FOR SALE
    Sparco Torino 2 sport seats, None resonated Milltek exhaust,
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

S3

Status
    How many pieces are there to change with a "full" cambelt job? (not including the waterpump)?
    Audi S3

Neutral

Status
    Actually I was close to having a damper failure too. But when the engine light came on I was 50meters from audi so I just left my car there. The damper was not looking to good. So I had to have a "cambelt job" and the damper is included in that job.

I guess I was fairly lucky being right outside of audis when it happend.
    S3 225 BAM
    Stage 1 TuningChip, AEM Dryflow cone filter, 19" OZ Superturismos

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Actually I was close to having a damper failure too. But when the engine light came on I was 50meters from audi so I just left my car there. The damper was not looking to good. So I had to have a "cambelt job" and the damper is included in that job.

I guess I was fairly lucky being right outside of audis when it happend.
    I was on A406 in uk, no hard shoulder, nearly killed myself trying pull over to the slow lane and then get out and wait in the middle of the carriage way. There was less that 30 seconds between the engine light and the clunk clunk. I had similar tempreture issues to the chap thats posted re varying tempreture as the garage fitted the water pump with the camblet. did you have a similar problem andy?

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by vetch View Post
    How many pieces are there to change with a "full" cambelt job? (not including the waterpump)?
    belt, roller and the hydraulic thingy, plus pump on top

Neutral

Status
    Well the waterpump was changed before I purchased the car. Maybe it got something with the damper failure to do? However, Audi told me it was time to change it. Because it had not been done. But the temp issue I dont know about because my thermostat was kaput at the time also. And when I changed it the temp was all ok again
    S3 225 BAM
    Stage 1 TuningChip, AEM Dryflow cone filter, 19" OZ Superturismos

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by s3vik225bhp View Post
    I was on A406 in uk, no hard shoulder, nearly killed myself trying pull over to the slow lane and then get out and wait in the middle of the carriage way. There was less that 30 seconds between the engine light and the clunk clunk. I had similar tempreture issues to the chap thats posted re varying tempreture as the garage fitted the water pump with the camblet. did you have a similar problem andy?
    You are a lucky chap to make it alive by the sounds of it.

It's very possible the damper gave up, but it will need some investigations to prove it etc. However it's not necc the garages fault as most cambelt jobs are the roller and belt and the damper is additional,same as the water pump sadly. I so hope your warrenty company coughs up.

It's very unlucky that you have bent a rod, have you had this confirmed? or suspected?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ya I had pump, cambelt, tensioner, thermostat the works. They have taken the head off, the assesors going to garage tomorrow.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Just for your info guys assessor went to garage states that based on the facts, i.e. waterpump, cambelt, thermostate replacement, then issues with car getting up to tempreture and then con rod failure the likley cause is going to be that there was a problem with the timing. Assor states his view is that the timing was out, hence heating (or non heating) issues and the piston went into the value that caused the con rob etc to break, none of the other pistons, con rods, values are damaged. Im not to sure you guys may have a view? Garage are stating that timing was fine and that it was not their fault. They have offered to fit an engine for free if I buy one. Unsure what to do the engine assessor is the one my insurers use. I stated that I would reject that offer garage has told me to take car from them and pay for their investigative work and removal of head.

Not sure waht to do?

Any suggestions?

6th Gear

Status
    its highly unlikely to be bad timing if none of the other valves are dead.

on friday i had a BAM piston in my hand where the rod unexplainably snapped. it obviously had valve marks on the top because when the rod went the piston had to go somewhere. that was a standard engine.

as for your engine, did it let go the moment it was started or some time later?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt82 View Post
    its highly unlikely to be bad timing if none of the other valves are dead.

on friday i had a BAM piston in my hand where the rod unexplainably snapped. it obviously had valve marks on the top because when the rod went the piston had to go somewhere. that was a standard engine.

as for your engine, did it let go the moment it was started or some time later?
    the other pistons had marks/dents on them the engine went sometime after start up. whats the difference?

RIP S3dave

Status
    a rod is unlikely to bend from touching a valve.. their stems are only 6mm on intake.. and its intakes which are most likely to hit, and the centre inlet is the closest of them all.
    you would expect to see a kiss mark on all the pistons if there had been contact
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/