Been told my car has to be chipped ot be mapped?

MickM

Reaction score
Been told by a Mapper that my car (99 A3 1.8T AGU) Has to be chipped - can't be done from the OBD port?

Thought you could map all of the 8L A3's form the OBD Port? or is he talking out of his ****

some cannot so no hes not talking out of his ****

Oh rite, every days a school day.

Thanks for your help!

Edit: Is there a way of telling if you can or not or is it a case of trial and error

Last edited:
Only noe or two vendors have the equipment to flash AGU/DBC cars via OBD port, Rtech being one, not sure who else off the top of my head

Rtech don't seem to be responding to my emails, sent them one couple days ago - Will try calling.

Appreciate your help fellas

The guys who have done my mapping on other cars said they have to solder a chip into teh ecu and flash that with the new map. I have an AGU too so I assume this is the process you are talking about. There is no disadvantage to it, it just takes longer to map because its more labour intensive...apparently!

As Welly said, bench flashing... Bill has the kit and does this quite regularly to early Ibiza ECU's as they don't like communicating through the OBD port...

<tuffty/>

Oh rite, every days a school day.

Thanks for your help!

Edit: Is there a way of telling if you can or not or is it a case of trial and error

When i worked at a Tuning Company, I was told that if the throttle is fly by wire then it can be mapped via OBD, if its cable then its an ECU out job and will need to be done on the bench

whats the diff with fly by wire and cable? they sound kinda the same.

mine has a throttle cable i think? AGU

with REVO and Custom Code stage 1,2's I do, AGU's can sometimes be port flashed.. BUT, they are a bit of a lottery and often dont and wont communicate
When that happens, you have to remove the ecu and bench flash into the ecu.. You dont have top open it up to bench flash those type of codes, so its still non-invasive and there are no "chips" being fitted.

NOW....

The very earliest A3 1.8t's however are not flashable at all, and use an even older ecu designation which is twin chip and does require physical chipping. (thinking R reg ones vintage)

hope that helps

DBW is an electronic throttle pedal with a servo motor operating the throttle body where cable is just that... a mechanical cable :)

<tuffty/>

As Welly said, bench flashing... Bill has the kit and does this quite regularly to early Ibiza ECU's as they don't like communicating through the OBD port...

<tuffty/>

Could you point me in the direction of Bill, unsure who Bill is.

Will go and check if Mechanic throttle or not currently being MOT'd so do that later, Thanks for the help guys, wealth of knowledge on here!

My AGU (cable) was remapped without having to flash the ECU. Happy days :)

My AGU (cable) was remapped without having to flash the ECU. Happy days :)

Like Bill said, a lottery. My AGU told me to ****** off when I took it for a map, so I whipped it out and had it done on the bench.

God that sounds bad.... :scared2:

Welly wopped it out onto the bench and some bloke fiddled with it sounds slightly odd too :)

Well after an expensive day and a failed MOT got the car back to find it is a cable throttle so looks like a ECU out jobby.

Very tempted to just give the credit card a bashing and go K03s as it seems pointless going for a remap at 200BHP when a couple hundred extra for Turbo and FMIC could see 220-230BHP!

yea, if you're spending the money now, do a ko3S turbo upgrade. it can be done REALLY cheaply.

Best way to do it, is to use an ebay 3'' D{/decat, coupled to a TDi centre section and the standard back box.

use a turbo revs FMIC, which is £200 on ebay,
fit that lot with a ko3S, get it to R-tech, and you've got the best part of 230bhp, and a very nippy motor

yea, if you're spending the money now, do a ko3S turbo upgrade. it can be done REALLY cheaply.

Best way to do it, is to use an ebay 3'' D{/decat, coupled to a TDi centre section and the standard back box.

use a turbo revs FMIC, which is £200 on ebay,
fit that lot with a ko3S, get it to R-tech, and you've got the best part of 230bhp, and a very nippy motor

Seconded..... DO IT!