Insurance question

Logit

Reaction score
Just been looking for a few quotes for a S3:

25 yrs old
7 yrs NCB
London postcode
3 points

The best quote is from Admiral for £597. I was very happy with this, but then I saw the modifications screen where you can select how your car has been altered from manufacturers spec. One of the options is: alloy wheels (optional extra). Since i'll either be getting a car with 18" RSTTs already fitted or i'll be adding them after, I clicked on this and it took the premium to £670. Now this isn't much in the whole scheme of things, but I don't see how they can charge this extra premium when they clearly state they will only replace them with standard wheels (i.e 17" Avus) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. If I was adding a non-Audi wheel I could slightly understand the higher premium.

Also, i'm thinking about getting the car chipped in the future. Admiral list the mods as: engine chip 0-10% inc BHP and 11-25% inc BHP. Could i get away with the 10% increase as this only increases premium by £100 instead of £300 for the 11-25%?

Thanks guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Liverpool Victoria, not the cheapest for a standard car, but no increases at all for ANY mods, or points .... they only want to know if u have changed the engine or have been banned.

[ QUOTE ]
S3_MCD said:
Liverpool Victoria, not the cheapest for a standard car, but no increases at all for ANY mods, or points .... they only want to know if u have changed the engine or have been banned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah as long as you are over 30 IIR they don't care about any engine mods /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ashs3 said:
Try http://www.privilege.com/ they should beat that quote...

As for telling them about 18" RS4's they come as a factory option on the S3's so don't bother,

[/ QUOTE ]

any optional extra should be divulged, they increase the cars value, and set it out from the rest in terms of theft.

if you dont insure the options, then all your get in replacement/renumeration could be the standard spec.

ie when new, a standard S3 was 24K ish. Mine fully loaded was circa £32K in Uk.

even tho the value of the car included them , i had to tell them the more expensive of the options

such as optional 18" alloy wheels, lowered suspension, Bose/cd changer, Factory fitted sat nav plus, etc etc.

They are all listed on policy along with mods.

As far as I was aware (not saying I am right) factory options fluctuation should be included in the quote, as the insurance companies should include an allowance for factory options offered on a particular model, for example min spec value and max spec value, if you did have an accident/theft then the insurance company would replace any damaged or stolen items from the chassis number which should include your factory options. A factory option is not a modification and that is the question they ask you, say if you bought the car second hand and did not know that Audi fit different alloys you would be none the wiser.

If in doubt ask as all insurance companies are different.
Most factory options if not included should not increase your policy by £100 that is for sure.

Just got this from Privilege

[ QUOTE ]
Any modification to the wheels, suspension, bodywork or engine of your vehicle, may affect your quotation.

If you car has been modified in any of these ways, please call us.

[/ QUOTE ]

No mention of factory options, the word "modifed" IMHO means changed from original spec, need to call them to confirm this and ask about factory options and prices for these, as I am interested to find out for sure what insurance company policies are as this is a regular question accross lots of motor forums /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would find it hard to swallow that any insurance company would not replace a CD changer if stolen and not added as an option on the policy?

Don't all S3's have sport suspension /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

i speak above from experience, having been insured by priviledge, then direct line, and now barclays (across 2 S3's with mods and high level of options) who are all part of the same family of companies, that share key resources like call centres....

They told me, the standard quote, is for a standard spec car. Options are not part of the standard spec. My wheels and sat nav, polished mirrors etc etc, all draw attention, and make my car more desireable.

and would obviously cost more to replace if damaged/Nicked...

Sat nav etc is a £2.5k option
18" alloys £1.5k
Mirrors £400 etc.

yes All S3's have sports suspension.

But only some have Optional Quattro GmbH lowered and uprated sports suspension.

(was an optional extra here in the UK, then seemed to disappear from the UK options list, while however, it was available from Germany till the very end of manufacture. . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif )

forgot to mention...

When they list extras, they do seem to differenciate between factory fit and aftermarket fit.

and have readily available default options on their system for these to fit into...

For example.. some of mine are described as

Wheels (Non standard alloy - fitted to a new car)
Suspension Lowered (Factory Fit by manufacturer)
Sat Nav (manufacturer approved/fitted)

Can see what you are saying, would be interested to know how much your alloys and mirrors added to your policy as I have the chrome mirrors and want to fit 18" RS4 alloys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Will get a quote of Privilege as well.

But the most annoying thing about elephant and admiral is that they state they will only replace with the standard spec in event of theft or damage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

How can they charge more for these options but not replace them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Logit said:
But the most annoying thing about elephant and admiral is that they state they will only replace with the standard spec in event of theft or damage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

How can they charge more for these options but not replace them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is ******, would not use them then! I bet they will void the insurance if you don't declare them as well, try else where.

I cant remember how much it altered tbh. £200- £300 ~(for everything above a standard S3) rings a bell, but that was back in 2002 on first S3

I then modded it, kept it 18K miles and then replaced it with this S3 with everything old S3 had + more options and higher value.. and they gave me a £160 rebate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I nearly fell off my chair. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

as for mods, they are all reasonable.
Only remap was a cost option.

DV, samco hoses , Porsche brakes, Spacers, Airbox mods (not done) and short shifter (taken off) didnt cost a penny extra.

i would expect optional extras to be replaced if specified without question

However unfortunately it rarely applies to modfications.

there are mod friendly insurers that will insure you.

and a select few will insure you like for like.