Clio 172

got a friend that has a 182 cup albeit abit tuned up, but they pull well, (all top end due to the lack of torque compared to an s3 but it is fast and handles well, seem to get oversteer quite easily but would recomend one for a cheap thrill. also have a mate with a 1.2 16v and although its lacking on the powerfront they do handle well.

Build quality is typically french but they where alot cheaper than s3s anyway.

Cal

whats your mileage? on autotrader 172's with 70k are 2k. personaly with your mods i'd value your car higher then 4k

I think you'd be mad to swap your car for the 172. As Jojo already said we are going to be bias, but I really don't understand how getting this 172 will improve your financial situation. Yes you will have 2K in cash but what will that do? Unless you can clear the S3 loan in full then surely there is no point as repayments will stay the same?

Furthermore the insurance will be on par, fuel too so you only gain 2K in cash and you now have a 172.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, I sincerely hope it works out as I've been in this very same situation and made a mistake myself. Frustrating & disappointing I know!

G

Last edited:
not all loans, some you can make ad hoc payments and reduce the 'lent' sum therefore reducing the payments themselves.... although these are getting more sparse

other than that i agree with Mr G

Anyway you can reduce your fuel costs and keep the car i.e. public transport, car share? Or change your loan to a longer term lower monthly payment, this may cost more in the long run but you'll keep the car and plus as people have said a new car may cost you more in the long run due to unknown history.

Bit off topic but some further info on the williams clio engine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F7R

Im already in a lift share for work. I was living in north wales and now moved over to liverpool, cant get a longer term loan because im paying a mortage now.

I think you'd be mad to swap your car for the 172. As Jojo already said we are going to be bias, but I really don't understand how getting this 172 will improve your financial situation. Yes you will have 2K in cash but what will that do? Unless you can clear the S3 loan in full then surely there is no point as repayments will stay the same?

Furthermore the insurance will be on par, fuel too so you only gain 2K in cash and you now have a 172.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, I sincerely hope it works out as I've been in this very same situation and made a mistake myself. Frustrating & disappointing I know!

G

From what everyone has been telling me about the Clios i shall not be going down that road now. Just wanted some info cos i wasnt sure about them but from the build/insurance/fuel and it being french i wont be going that way.

Really fancy a Leon Tdi Fr but having problems finding a good 1? Skoda Fab Vrs im not a fan of.

Really a diesel is what i need, want it to have fairly good build quality (jap or germ), fairly quick

Any futher ideas people

Thanks aswell to everyone on here for helping me with this, totally gutted that i really have to do the selling thing. Been on a few forums over my cars years and this is by far the best one:icon_thumright:

I love hot clios! the clio 172 cup was one of the most fun cars i have driven, i only had a quick blast in it round the lanes but its so stuck to the road and handles brilliantly.
You will lose the toys, especially the cup, nothing in it at all, but its a drivers car, stripped out and fun.
For me i dont mind losing the toys, if you want fun the clios great.
Have you considered the old shape civic type r? thats going for a bargain now adays!

I know I am sticking my neck out here a bit, but if you are having to sell the car due to repayments/loan and a mortgage, surely buy a cheap run around/diesel until you can afford something nice?

No point getting yourself in the same position again by buying the above.

Just my opinion!

Im already in a lift share for work. I was living in north wales and now moved over to liverpool, cant get a longer term loan because im paying a mortage now. :

Should be easier to get a loan because of the mortgage, as they secure the loan against the house (not something I'd like to do) Be worth talking to your bank about you should be able to take out another loan to pay off your existing with a longer term, as i mentioned this may cost more in the long run due to intrest rates and the repayment length.

Martin lewis website is worth a read: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cards/

As for TDI option A3 1.9tdi or mk4 golf gt tdi or bora tdi

all depends on his situation.... you cant secure a loan against any house unless you have adequate equity and a lender willing to lend in accordance with the loan to value percentage..... im sure he's covered this option

I for one hate Martin Lewis, the guy has no clue about financial services (let alone the qualifications) and provides a website with enough info for people not in the industry to hang themselves - if people want advice they should consult a financial adviser who will often offer a free consultation rather than a chap who (hat off too him for this) has made a fortune comparing basic details of a select choice of financial products - making people think that they have the upper hand when really they know absolute 'jack' - sorry small rant :)

I can afford to pay the loan which hasn't got much left and mortgage off but it's just a struggle month to month. The problem is with the high fuel costs where I'm spending 75-90 a week and insurance 90 a month. That's where a change of car is needed. Looked at leon tdi fr, the insurance is less than half the current I'm paying and with 45+ mpg

With owning this car now I can't even afford to go out weekends or go snowboarding @ chillyfactor

Fair enough, makes sense. You obviously do a fair few miles to spend 75-90£ per week on fuel.

£75-90 a week? how far do you commute to work sounds like your doing over 400 miles a week in which case I would say changing the S3 for Diesel is the right thing to do? £90 a month on insurance!!!! I must be getting old mines only £36 a month now. As for affording to go out at weekends thats what happens when you buy a house these days, you have to make sacrifices.

You could get yourself some ultra cheap to run for the short term, get to grips with monthly out goings and then buy a better but still affordable car in the future.

This will cost you next to nothing to run and the renault dci engines are very good, unlike there small petrol engines.
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1607181.htm you could spend a little more and get a dynamic which is a bit nicer inside and has a few more mod cons i think. Best of getting the 80bhp engine (there is a 100bhp but there rare and more to buy)

You could get yourself some ultra cheap to run for the short term, get to grips with monthly out goings and then buy a better but still affordable car in the future.

My advice as well. You'll be amazed how much you can save.

Sell it if you cant afford it, you can always get another s3 or other s model later in a couple of years time., thats why im selling mine so i can pay off loans i took out and save myself an extra 50 a week. i cant live without a car though so just bought myself a mk2 yesterday :D

Just sold my 172 to get an A3!Its great round the corners and decent in a straight line,mpg i got 32ish average.

I sold it because something new fell off it everytime i got in it to go to work,i had it for about 3 months and it cost me £2200 to buy and £1800 to fix in that time!

Surely it must suck round corners compared to your clio lol

my brother has a mk4 golf 1.9tdi 130bhp 600miles + if you drive it properly on a full tank, if you remapped it probably more. Its a pretty solid motor i was impressed.

I can afford to pay the loan which hasn't got much left and mortgage off but it's just a struggle month to month. The problem is with the high fuel costs where I'm spending 75-90 a week and insurance 90 a month. That's where a change of car is needed. Looked at leon tdi fr, the insurance is less than half the current I'm paying and with 45+ mpg

With owning this car now I can't even afford to go out weekends or go snowboarding @ chillyfactor

I'm on the same boat m8, After I took my s3 for its remap and it blew on me, I havnt been able to get back on my feet atol. I've always been fine with some savings behind me, but, since I had to pay the £1700 to fix the *astard I cant afford to do anything.

I'm left with £90 a week after everything is paid but im about 50 to 60 on petrol a week so i'm left with nothing. Started causing problems with my relationship because we cant get doing anything now! Its actually sitting in the driveway now with no tax because things are that tight.

I want a Leon FR also but cannot come to terms with the diesel smoke and no top end... I would love to know how you get on with an FR!

I wouldnt even think about the top end issue if i was to get a desiel really, as youve got to buy it knowing that you cant rag it around as much a petrol, you can still drive them quite fast, even my vans got some omph! to it lol, just after 70mph it starts to get slow. If you was to get a 150tdi rempa it to like 180 or whatever they remap to. petrol hot hatches, standard arnt going to stand a chance in mid range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9po_a9yztw

haha this is where the french walk ALL OVER the Germans

pick a similar sized french car (like the C5 or Vel Satis), give it RS4 power then watch it keep up as its trim falls off :)

my bet is that if zi germans actually made a similar sized car, they would do it better..... but thats an educated guess :)

Last edited:
Hopefully theyll proof it with the audi a1, Itll probally end up being big still!

I had a 2003 172 Cup, was such a fun car. Acceleration was shockingly quick, cornering was bang on and it cost next to nothing to fuel and run.

Great little car, I had a 172 mk1 limited edition for four years and it never missed a beat. More fun to drive than my S3, but not as quick and you have to rev the crap out of it to get it going -but does feel more rewarding top end. It depends on what you want from a car, it may float your boat/it may not!

To say they're French, crap, and unreliable just shows ignorance..........

Great little car, I had a 172 mk1 limited edition for four years and it never missed a beat. More fun to drive than my S3, but not as quick and you have to rev the crap out of it to get it going -but does feel more rewarding top end. It depends on what you want from a car, it may float your boat/it may not!

As it happens i used to be a car trader a few years ago....ignorance? nope....experience and i have backed up exactly what my issues are with Renaults - so please don't try to devalue my comments with a flippant remark

those clios are the dogs danglies. If its mpg your after id say go for a mk4 gttdi, i had one. Performace isnt the worst when remapped, got the looks too. 58mpg if you drive like a gay, 39 if you drive like a nut job, and you can pick them up for a little over 2k

S3 Wannabe said:

I'll repeat it once more. Three engine wiring looms in the first 9 months of ownership.

That doesn't just show poor reliability or a poorly looked after car. That shows consistent issues with parts from Renault. I also had to have a new TB as mine would stick on warm days.

It barely started in the cold and had oodles of issues in warm weather (lights, alarm and EML).

Currently using my 13 year old 106 GTi for my daily run to work - other than a small oil leak its spot on !

I don't think I would go and pay for a nice new french car but for a cheap runaround they seem fine (all be it you get good and bad cars with any brand).

I've never been a fan of car swaps or taking a px for a simple fact that your not looking for the best you can find and your possibly getting someone elses problem but thats just me !

To be fair it is pretty easy to follow a car at pace.

Agreed, I can follow an R6 bike on a very twisty road ridden by an average rider of course...that vid doesnt really demonstrate anything