the three beeps

Quite common on TT's. When I say common, I had it three times in three years and I know many with the occasional sounding.

The best anyone has come up with is the voltage is a little low and it's the alarm warning about it in case it can't provide full protection.

It's sometimes accompanied by the date and time being reset in the dash.

I never found it a problem but that's not to say there's no underlying problem however I'd suddest there's nothing to worry about.

It happens on my A3 all the time, i asked on here but no one really knew. But as scotty said, its never been a problem for me either, cars worked fine.

hmmm got that wrong then! think i'm right in saying 3 beeps is supposed to mean an urgent error, just that it doesn't know that there is no error!!! confused!!!!

It happens on my S3, usually on Monday mornings if I haven't used the car over the weekend.
Normally it's 4 beeps, which I think is the back-up alarm battery warning me it's been under charged.
No warning display on the DIS and it goes away once I've driven the car for a day.

i know you probably havnt, but have you accidentally set the speed warning function? this gives beeps when you go above a certain speed - i did it several times when i got the car

Mine does this if it is cold first thing in the morning, from what I have read it is quite common, if it happens every time on startup though it could be a warning about one of your alarm sensors not functioning.

i have this all the time, but i also have abs problems, (lights come on)

so i thought the 3 beeps r cus of the abs

They probably are. You get beeps in the car from the DIS about alarms etc but the three beeps here normally sound like they're coming from the rear of the car.

Am I imagining it, or do you get three bleeps for coolant level too? Of course their would be a light for that as well, but if you're paranoid it might be worth checking anyway (as dead-lights in the dash aren't an _absolute_ impossibility).

Mine was beeping at me earlier for coolant (I've still not figured out why mine will go from max-min in about a week or so without even running the engine, or seeing a drop of water anywhere in the engine-bay - and I'm just starting to wonder how much I might get stung for Audi to find out/rectify it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif), but I'm still (stupidly) only about 50% certain there were three bleeps - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Regards,

Rob.

Coolant level I'm sure gives one long beeeeeeep, and indication on the DIS. Do you park your car on a slope by any chance, usually with the front facing downwards?

I've also heard of this being caused by the backup battery in the Alarm siren.

But as ScoTTy says, no one is really sure what it is.

[ QUOTE ]
It happens on my S3, usually on Monday mornings if I haven't used the car over the weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
No warning display on the DIS and it goes away once I've driven the car for a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Mine does this if it is cold first thing in the morning

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly as I get on my 4 year old, but 1 year old TT parked in the same location never does it... yet.

The audi owners manual for the a3 mentions priorty 1 signals (red) and priority 2 signals (yellow).

Priority 1 alarms for braking system faults, coolant level too low or temp too high and engine oil pressure too low. For any of these to will hear three beeps.

Priority 2 alarms for bulbs, washer fluid, fuel level, battery voltage and speed warning will give a singal beep.

I'd get your car checked out as there may something wrong.

I dont think it is the DIS giving the warnings. I think its the siren itself. The beeps should be coming from the rear passenger side. There shouldn't be any visual warnings coming from the DIS itself.

I had this on my Golf - three beeps, usually when the engine cold/damp, accompanied by the coolant warning light.

Like FactionOne says, it's often caused by a fault with the coolant sensor in the reservoir... I think it's quite common on 1.8T Golfs, at least - just something to bear in mind, I don't know if the part is the same on 1.6 engines /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
DickyS3 said:
I dont think it is the DIS giving the warnings. I think its the siren itself. The beeps should be coming from the rear passenger side. There shouldn't be any visual warnings coming from the DIS itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree mine is 3 or 4 beeps (can't remeber for def) with no DIS light but comes form the rear passenger side.

Just to add to my four warning beeps, I had another louder beep on Tuesday (cold morning) and the coolant warning icon appeared on the DIS.
It went away and hasn't returned.

So much for technology.

I had 3 beeps on Sunday morning, It was minus 1 outside and the car was covered in ice. The beeps came from the rear left side but there was no warning symbol in the DIS. This has happened 3 times now but only happens first thing in the morning if the car is parked with it backside downhill.
h1.

probably the backup battery for the alarm. Cold weather doesn't help...

Rich.