How to Improving Handling

Mattjbradbury

Reaction score
I want to improve handling of my S3. High speed corners its got good grip, its slower speed corners where it understeers readily - due to the weight i would imagine - i was coming from a Polo GTi - 10mm lowered on stiffer springs which was like a go-cart.

Would the best option be around 10mm lowering with stiffer springs? Does anyone know the best ones to get. I've been reading about the Gmbh 10mm lowering but hear thats expensive - Anyone reccommend other springs?

I don't really want to go under 10mm as i don't want to ****** up ride quality too much. I'm going to replace my 17" avus wheels with 18" rstts soon too - so second question - whats the grippest rubber to get on these? I've always had good experience with Michelin, but hear Pirrellis are good too..

Cheers guys...

I've been told that uprated ARBs improve the handling but don't affect the ride comfort. I asked a very similar question a couple of weeks back and ARBs were the answer.

I too am upgrading to the 18 inch old RS4 style wheels soon as well. Will be looking for Michelin Contisports as I believe these are one of the best. Currently running P6000 on my Avus alloys and they are superb as well.

Toyo R888 tyres are like slicks and super grippy but im sure you wont get many miles out of them, michelin pilot sport 2 are good tyres but cost a bit, im running pirelli p zero rossio which have good grip in wet/dry, get really good milage out of them and dont cost a fortune

Have a look in the stickys section theres a good thread on suspension setups. People rate the billy B8's with H and R springs which is a 25mm drop and have said this doesnt destroy comfort either. Speaking to the guys at TTS they recommend eibach springs over H and R for comfort (this might be because they sell them). The Gmbh kit should be cheaper than any other options, I'm looking at changing my dampers soon as they've seen over 100k, TTS said using the later TT quattro shocks and Eibach springs would be a good setup over standard, the later S-line TT on 18's was 20mm lower (this might have only been 10mm on the S3) over the standard TT on 17's according to them. Whats your budget like? B8's and HR springs plus fitting and alignment will cost about 1k, you'll also need to consider adjustable rear tie bars too. R32 ARB's are a good option to improve handling, but a combined package of uprated ARB's, shocks and springs gives the best handling setup.

Thanks for the Info. I haven't thought about budget yet, just wanted to get some info so i could see what my options are. I really don't want to lower too much. I think 20-30mm might be too much - not only for ride comfort but for the way the car looks. I want it to look as if its not been modded but handles better.

I was thinking of just changing the springs and maybe dampers but saw on another thread that was not advisable... I want a handling boost for not tooo much money i suppose.

Damian from DPM Performance suggests ARBs would be the solution. I am looking for exactly the same thing.

I would get your 18s on first Matt and go one from there, the extra inch from your rims reduces body roll by a little and improves handling a bit also. If I'm being honest though, my S3 with Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs wouldn't stand a chance against my Mk2 Golf 16V on the twisty stuff in the dry. I did drive an S3 on coilovers lowered by 60mm though, and that handled very well at the expense of ride comfort though, it was bouncing all over the place, so not for me.

Cheers JD09 - Could you send me a link of it on their website if poss? I'm having a look but can't find it...

I have the Billy b8 and -25mm eibach set up on my a3 tqs, the drop is nice and subtle, cruising comfort is better and its alot sharper when you push it through corners. My set up was about £650 fitted but that might be down to the difference in car? IMHO it's the right sort of mod for the car, it's discreet, it does everything you could need it to on the road and although it isn't cheap you know you're getting a good quality set up.

Yeah the weight is always going to mean its not going to handle like some. Its not bad at the minute, just wouldn't mind a little improvement to give it that extra bit of sharpness. I will put the 18's on first and go from there...

Also what speed rating to i need on the tyres for the RSTT 18inch wheels. Just looking on kwikfit website as an example and they say W,Y or Z for 225/40/18

Maybe a stupid question - but RSTT 18 Inch wheels have the same tire diameter whether fitted to the S3 or TT? Looking at a set that were on a TT on ebay...

billies and H&R's springs & ARB's make for a nice planted quattro A3 setup
lightweight wheels also will help make it feel more pointy - many reps are so heavy it dulls the turn in badly in my experience

Just after I joined, around November time I seem to remember. . .

(Joke).

billies and H&R's springs & ARB's make for a nice planted quattro A3 setup
lightweight wheels also will help make it feel more pointy - many reps are so heavy it dulls the turn in badly in my experience

In my experience the OE 17" Avus wheels are as heavy if not heavier then some 18" reps. Alot of the newer replicas are lighter then you'd think.

I don't see Haldex Controller Upgrade being mentioned here, heard it does wonders in terms of handling. Who had it done and what's the verdict?

VeVeX said:
In my experience the OE 17" Avus wheels are as heavy if not heavier then some 18" reps. Alot of the newer replicas are lighter then you'd think.

I agree, my RS reps were much lighter then the standard Avus.

No one has mentionned that you should think carefully before upgrading the ARBs without sorting out the shocks first.