Where to Start?????

jamesdownthepub

Reaction score
Hi All

This is my first post and in need of abit of advice!

Have recently bought an 1998 A3 SE
Really good condition and is BOG standard...i would like it abit more quick off the mark and wondered if anybody had any tips on where to start? without braking the bank?

Any tips would be great

Cheers

JT

Hi, welcome pal, im quite new on here too! good bunch here! what engine is in it now?:think:

Its the 1.8.

ive just been looking through a few posts and threads and it all looks abit complicated lol

my new years reslution was to learn abit more about my car and how to mod it anyway possible!

Thanks for the welcome:sign_welcome:

Its the 1.8.

ive just been looking through a few posts and threads and it all looks abit complicated lol

my new years reslution was to learn abit more about my car and how to mod it anyway possible!

Thanks for the welcome:sign_welcome:

Is it the 1.8 turbo? if so a remap is the easy way! good bhp gains too! if its not turbo then dependant on buget and how far you want to go? An exhaust will give small gains but be louder, and personally i dont like mine too loud on an Audi anyway! personal taste, Evo's Yes scoobys ect! then an induction kit to help it breath better, and some companys do chips for NA engines but the gains arnt as good, approx 5-10 bhp! cost about £150-200, if its turbo then a remap will give a standard 150bhp car approx 35-40 bhp more at a cost of 200-400 depends where you go?
ATB Lee

Sounds like a good new year's res to me!

The normal stuff mate would help you on your way.

Naturally Aspirated engines (I.E non turbo) are notoriously hard to get any meaningful BHP increase out of.

Anyway, getting the air flowing through the engine better is generally a good place to start. This should be looking like a full cat back exhaust, uprated panel filters.

You can also normally get non turbo engines remapped for better power. The difference won't be as noticeable as with a turbo engine, BUT it should be noticeable.

Those would be good places to start.

THNX VERY MUCH FOR THE ADVICE, AM LOOKING TO BUY AN INDUCTION KIT IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS, ANY RECOMENDATIONS?

IM ALSO AFTER A BRACKET FOR MY EXHAUST( OR A RUBBER MOUNT).

I HAVE A SLIGHT RATTLE WHEN THE CARS IDLING AND IT WAS AN ADVISORY ON THE MOT, ANY IDEA WHERE THE BET PLACE TO GO IS?

SORRY FOR THE PESTERING ABOUT WHAT YOU MIGHT CALL "PETTY PROBLEMS" BUT I DONT KNOW WHERE ELSE TO LOOK!

CHEERS

JT

I know you done want to hear it mate but i honestly wouldnt bother spending money on it, i was in the same boat as you when i had my corsa c but i saved and bough the S3, dont regret one bit of it :)

HAHA IF I SOLD IT I DONT THINK ID GET ENOUGH TO BUY THE TURBO! OR INDEED AN S3!

Please can you not type in capitals, its considered shouting and bad form. I am quite suprised anyone answered you tbh.

On the tuning front.... Leave the engine as is, and if you must mod it, spend the cash on decent suspension,ARBs brakes and sticky tyres so you can hold onto the speed better.

cheers for the advice! its only just hit 90000 miles and i bought it for £800 off a mate who wanted rid! its got s3 alloys and a rlly good interior, i have had a look on auto trader and i think id get between £1500 - £2000, u agreee?

Aslong as its in good condition with FSH then cant see why not, btw you got for quite cheap.

definately not worth doing anything to a 1.8... as said, sell and get a 1.8t then theres so much you can do.