oil experts?

campbell

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that shell helix ultra 5W30 spec 501 has been replaced with shell helix ultra extra 5-30 spec 504?

I have always used the 501 spec but no where sells it anymore!

Cheers

just a quicky i need to get my oil changed with in the next couple weeks what oil should i be going for? 1999 S3
cheers danny

just a quicky i need to get my oil changed with in the next couple weeks what oil should i be going for? 1999 S3
cheers danny
Totally personal choice mate. look up opie oils here and stick in your car details it'll suggest some.
Asking what one to use on here is gonna just end up with a list of peoples different opinions anyway.
for what it's worth I am a 99/2000 S3 with APY engine and I am using Castrol Edge 5w-30. however, about to change the oil in a couple of weeks and will be putting in Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30.
Why you ask? it was on special at halfords...

how about 5W50 or 0W40, has anyone used 5w50? I want to try it on my S3, it has about 130k on the clock, and the oil is mainly used for race cars.

My question to oilman at opie was:
In relation to my 2001 Audi S3, its done 60000miles yet has just had a complete engine rebuild and is now close to finishing its running in period – the car is slightly modified with remap, hybrid turbo, front mount intercooler, exhaust, filter etc, prob up to close on 300brake from the std 210.

I do quite a few motorway miles and therefore clock up the miles quite quick so don;t want to be forever changing the oil - so longevity is as important as efficiency.

Please can you recommend an oil that would best suit my application.

There answer was:
I would use a 5w-40 synthetic and you will find those through the link below.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. Those oils should be good for about 10000 miles or annual changes. You could go for one of the VW longlife specification oils, but they aren't really designed for modified cars.