Hissing sound when accelerating

colej

Reaction score
Hi

This question may have been answered before, as found some threads concerning it on the a4 forum but nothing on the a3 forum.

Just bought a 2001 audi a3 1.9Tdi and have noticed when accelerating it makes a hissing sound. This is audible when you have the window down. It seems to happens at low rpm (about 1500-2500), it does not seem to happen when idling or when just revving the engine. Is it meant to make this noise?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sounds like the turbo boosting which you should be very happy of. lol

I know this sound, i had it on mine, it sounds like air escaping. Do the normal checks on all boost pipes etc - I could never find mine

I had a 1.9tdi passat which made the same noise. it ended up being a straight piece of rubber pipe near the turbo somewhere. not sure which pipe though!!

I get that on mine all the time presume just the turbo, since i have owned thr car its made that hissing noise

well i don't know about anyone but i like this hissing sound :p

Are you sure it's not just the turbo sucky noise :D

That's not really a hiss though, more of a whine....

Bottom line here is that the facts are a bit sparse!

any major leak will be quite obvious on performance and MPG.

Boost leaks aare a ******** fiind, just a massive process of elimination. I took mine for a smoke test and they found a little leak, still managed to find another leak afterward.

Tell me about it, I'm still hunting them down at the moment, after fitting the intercooler 2 months ago!

Hi I have an Audi 1.9tdi 05 driving it the other day heard a slight pop and then the turbo has a loud whining/hissing noise , when I took of the wastegate acuator pipe (vacume) the noise stopped but lack of turbo power when I put the pipe back on I had full turbo power but the whining turbo spinning noise like the wastegate is constantly open , could this be the N75 Solinoid valve or an air leak somewhere I dont think the turbo is at fault as it is not rumbling or rattleling or like a bearing whine just the spinning noise of the turbo ?

Hi
Just got an A4 1.9 tdi 98 s plate and i too have this ****** anoying high pitched whining noise, and when I remove the small pipe from the vacuum unit it stops, anybody replaced this N75 valve there talking about and did it stop the noise? I have checked the turbo fan and there doesn't seem to be any free play or looseness there

if your tyre is now flat it was a puncture nothing to worry about.

Took my A4 to an Audi mechanic yesterday and he says it's normal turbo noise,, well pleased as I thought major expense on the way