How to change instrument cluster lights to 8P S3 style** with pics**

Good stuff. How did you get the orginal bulbs out.

Try get a picture in the night and upload it. Thanks

Good stuff. How did you get the orginal bulbs out.

Try get a picture in the night and upload it. Thanks

With a pair of long nosed pliers, and heat the solder up and they just pull off.

This video shows how:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dotVYFoORUk

Will get a night shot up tonight it'll be after 2am though (after work):icon_thumright:

Well here we go night time shots!
Image103.jpg

The excess light coming from dial isn't noticeble in the flesh only shows up in photos
Image099.jpg

Image102.jpg

There you go then!

Really impressed with it myself :icon_thumright: not sure wether to leave it at that or do the other dials:think:

Fair play to you, looks very good.

Do you think it will be possible to change all the dials from red to white as the S3 comes with white needles.

Fair play to you, looks very good.

Do you think it will be possible to change all the dials from red to white as the S3 comes with white needles.

The fuel and temp gauge's have two led's that light bothe the needle and the display:
Image090-2.jpg

You could change these to white and then put some red film on the back of the clock faces as these are clear and its the led's that give the numbers their colour.

The clock would be harder as it shares two leds with the rev counter:
Image093-2.jpg

Of course you could change all the led's to white and put red film (or any other colour) on all of the display.

Going to try and find some film and see what the match of colour is like.

If it's same i will change fuel/temp led's and just leave clock red.

If not i'll do as i said above change all the led's to white:icon_thumright:

Thanks for your info. I think I may have a go next weekend and see whats its like.

Changed a couple more led's today, temp and fuel gauge:
Image085.jpg

Day time
Image086.jpg

Image087.jpg

Image090-3.jpg

Quite like the white look!

Just need to decide wether to change them all to white or keep the dials red and the needles white:think:

That is wicked. Do you just solder the new ones in then. How many LED's you need exactly as im going to order some now.

You know you say you can cover the cloaks with red film, have you done that to get the Red part on the bottome of the fuel dial.

Last edited:
When you take the old ones out it leaves two solder 'blobs' on circuit board, just hold new led on to 'blobs' with pliers and heat solder only takes a couple of seconds to heat solder.

Didn't notice red part on fuel dial till you mentioned it!

Haven't put any film on it must be coloured red on dials.

Rest of dials are all clear/white though as when i had faces off held up to light and couldn't see any colour mustn't have noticed fuel guage!

love this thread... I got a white set of clocks sitting spare, mite practice on these before i mutalate my clocks. Mite go for the white with blue needles.

correct me if im wrong, I have a Face lift set of clocks that are white in colour. But the DIS is mullerd. I know i can get them coded to work in my car but then i would have the DIS problem right... So the LEDs on the facelift clocks would be white in colour correct? Therefore i could painstaakingly swap the leds from my red clocks for the leds on the faclift clocks and have a fully fucktioning dis and white dials, AAAANNNNNND it would cost me nothing??

SDC10800.jpg

what have you started!!! lol

Last edited:
Thanks again. You have given me the confidence to give it ago now and I think im going to try the white dials and blue needles effect and see how that works.

How many bulbs you think I should order to do the whole cluster white

Thanks for that. Is that just for all the cloaks and not the 2 computer like, not the DIS as I will only change all the dials

nope the 20 is just for the illumination of the rev, speed, pet, and temp. there are 2 leds per needle, and 8 leds per clock and mileage displayes. Dis i have left alone!

hope thats a help matey.

To change all the led's to white on my clocks i needed 22

8 for the rev,speedo.fuel and temp gauge
2 for clock
12 for speedo and rev counter numbers

PLCC-2Blue.jpg

Ultra Bright Blue PLCC-2 SMD LED 400mcd
Technical Specifications

Source Material: InGaN
Emitting Colour: Blue
Emitting Wavelength (nm): 460-470
Size: 3.5 x 2.8 mm
Intensity (mcd): 300-400
Viewing Angle (deg): 120
Forward Voltage (V): 3.2-3.4
Forward Current (mA): 20-30

does that make sense to anyone? these LEDS look the same as that ebay link, and there 16p each!! you being mugged off if your gonna pay £2.50 for a ****** SM led!! (no offence at any 1 who has bought them)

#respect to SS for starting this thread!!
Tho i now have 20 white LEDS....
SDC10803.jpg

have taken the dis off this spare bored too just to see how etc.. and if your brave enough you could change the 30 red LEDS to blue as well.... he who dares my son, he who dares! ;)

correct me if im wrong, I have a Face lift set of clocks that are white in colour. But the DIS is mullerd. I know i can get them coded to work in my car but then i would have the DIS problem right... So the LEDs on the facelift clocks would be white in colour correct? Therefore i could painstaakingly swap the leds from my red clocks for the leds on the faclift clocks and have a fully fucktioning dis and white dials, AAAANNNNNND it would cost me nothing??

SDC10800.jpg

what have you started!!! lol

YEP! all for free! (the best kind of mod!):icon_thumright:

[QUOTE

does that make sense to anyone? these LEDS look the same as that ebay link, and there 16p each!! you being mugged off if your gonna pay £2.50 for a ****** SM led!! (no offence at any 1 who has bought them)

QUOTE]

I paid £2.49 for 10 white ones, prices vary according to colour

thats better!! for a second i thought you payed £2.50 per LED!! Not calling you a mug tho mate, figure of speech! :) you have seriously inspired me! Im gonna try and do the Dis as well as i have just worked out how to get it off and back on again! scared!:beerchug:

Looks like the face lift clocks have seperate led's for each dial?

On mine only the rev and speedo had thier own led's, the temp and fuel only have 2 led's each which illuminate the dial and display. ******!

from what i can work out SS this is how the LEDs are on your bored. (mine as well as i have the non facelift clocks in the car.)

yourbored.jpg

Orange are the warning lights,
Green (- the bottom left ring) are the indicators and Head light led,
Black are the red illuminaton leds
Red is obviously the trip display.

14 illumination leds inc the clock,
10 for the needles,
8 for the trip display
30 for behind the dis.

inside the DIS there is a orange filter to soften the leds. If you put a blue led behind it it will simply glow white. (this is what it did when i put the filter up agaist a blue LED) so the filter will have to be removed.

You SS my son, have started me off on a personal mission!! lol or should isay, im going to break it! lol worth a go!

Ok well I have new S3 dials now. Changed from all red with white needles to all white dials with white needle just like the new 8P S3 and TTS dials.

Il get some pics up later.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of how they used to look as S3 owners will know.

100_1710.jpg

One of how they know look in the day.

100_1722.jpg

And one of how they look in the night.

100_1761.jpg

One with my boost gauge which now matches my dials bar the needle lol

100_1758.jpg

They actually look brighter than they do in the pics at night.

Best mod you can do as it only cost £7, just like the new S3 and TTS now.

Love them. Nathan

Reactions: DeeGee68
Nice nattie

How does it match up with the rest of the interior lights since they're red. Any chance u can post a pic for me?

Well it doesnt match the rest of the dash but it doesnt look weird at all. Only the stereo/sat nav and climate control are red.

I dont mind the red and white as it doesnt stand out as being a mish mash.

Il try and get a pick tonight of how the whole interior now looks.

Top marks for effort they do look bright don't they! I've always wondered if there's any way to illuminate the S3 logo on the bottom of the rev counter (on facelift) at night... Shame audi didn't do it as standard, I think that would look really cool.....

Thanks. Ye I know what you mean. I did have a look at the S3 logo when they were off but there isnt a light for them so cant really do anything about that.

The needles how there own LED's but the logo doesnt.

All white would look quite smart IMO

I take it you mean all the lights on the dash. Ye it would look really good. I think the CC would be ok to do but the stereo / sat nav would be quite hard I think to get the front off.

Going to buy all new LED lights for the rest of the lights in the car like the puddle light and sun visor etc.

Nice work, looks like mine now apart from my needles are red.

Top effort...looks great.

Thanks Tom. Didnt know you could get white dials on any A3/S3

Nice nattie

How does it match up with the rest of the interior lights since they're red. Any chance u can post a pic for me?

Just realised that the 8P S3 has white dials and the rest of the dash is red, stereo, Climate control etc.

There are a few videos on youtube showing S3 8P interior/dash so you can get an idea of how mine looks now.